Let me show you somthing Weird and troubling about the 2008 Draft

After these 3 picks by our Div rivals believe me when I say we will take Oher if he is available in 2009 Draft 

Saints = DT Sed Ellis ............DT i wanted as bad as I wanted Tommie Harris

Bucks = DT Dre Moore ..........Weird , this is the mid rd DT I wanted if we didn't get Ellis

Panthers = DT Nick Hayden....And to beat it all this is the one lone late rd DT I wanted if we didn't take one earlier .

I had him in my last and finial mock . This is one of the oddest things I've seen in any draft for all three of these players to go in the div.  But I am getting used to Carolina always taking a lot of players I have on my finial board. Always.

Here is the proof that I wanted all 3 of the DTs that TB, NO, and Carolina took in the draft . Look closly to all of the DTs  I have in my mocks and the only 3 you will see is the 3 that they took in the draft , Now is that make my nervous or what. They all took what I thought was the best 3 DTs in the draft for where they would be taken. The best early , mid and late round DTs in the Draft IMO. And now I have to watch them 6 times a year put pressure our our New QB! Ermm.gif

Dec Mock 12-19-07........Jan Mock 1-16-08..........Feb Mock 2-13-08.............

1.DT Sedrick Ellis...........1.Ellis, Sedrick (DT)...... 1.Sedric Ellis DT 6-2, 295 USC

2.RB Jonathan Stewart...2.Collins, Anthony (OT)..2.Carl Nicks OT 6-5, 335 Neb

2.QB Joe Flacco..............2.Nicks, Carl (OT)...........2.Joe Flacco QB 6-5, 230 Del

3.ILB Ben Moffit..............3.Flacco, Joe (QB)..........3.*Kevin Smith RB 6-1, 212 CF

4.OT Heath Benedict.......4.Smith, Kevin (RB)........4.Darrell Robertson DE 6-5, 265 GT

4.OT Shannon Boatman..4.Goff, Jonathan (ILB)....4.Ben Moffitt LB 6-1, 240 CF  

5.DT Dre Moore..............5.Terrell, Darnell (CB).....5.Drew Radovich OG 6-5, 32

6.DE Adam Oliver...........6.Oliver, Adamm (DE).....6.Marcus Walker CB 5-11, 198, 4.45

6.K Art Carmody.............6.Brown, Thomas (RB).....6.Thomas Brown RB 5-10, 205, 4.48

7.S Jamal Lewis..............7.Serna, Alexis (K)..........7.Best Kicker left K 7-7, 395, 3.12

March Mock

1.Sedrick Ellis..........DT..6'0 1/2...309..5.24..34BP..Best first step Burst in the draft 1.Jonathan Stewart..RB..5'10 1/4..235..4.48..28BP..&..36.5VJ best of each in draft. 2.Joe Flacco............QB..6'6 1/2....236..4.80..Tallest , strongest arm ,  best Cone drill.  2.Jonathan Goff......ILB..6'2..245...4.63..28BP , Best 40 and BPs 28 for an ILB in the draft.  3.Chilo Rachal.......OG..6'6..322....5.23..Best BJ and 40 for his size in the draft...OG 4.Josh Barret.........SS..6'2..223....4.34..Some say he is the best SS in the draft, Gamer!

5.Nick Hayden........DT..6'4..291...4.98..BP 34 same as Ellis , Fast for a big man ,Sleeper.

6.Stanford Keglar..OLB..6'2..235...4.55..Best VJ 39" and best BPs 29 , for all the OLBers. 7.Jonathan Wilhite..CB..5'10.185...4.38..20BP , 35VJ , Played behind Lee but has  game 7.Micheal Grant.....CB..6'1.5".193..4.37..14BP , 36VJ , Can play FS , Arkansas player

Thought i was posting in draft central . Oh well, this is one of the stragest things I've ever seen in all the years of my Draft Life , I always pick out a high , mid and late rd players who I would love for us the draft in case we get one in any part of the draft and what was so strange is I thought for sure that we would draft at least one and maybe even two , If you notice in my last Mock I had Ellis and Hayden. But we didn't even draft one.

Hopfully the DTs we picked up before the draft will getter Done!  And I wouldn't be shocked if we picked up another one before the season starts.

All pre-draft talk by the zillions of so called "experts" everywhere in the good 'ole USA grade the players basically with a stopwatch and/or their college play. These "experts" pay little or no attention to the players WORK ETHIC, INTEGRITY, CHARACTER, TEAM MENTALITY, etc....................all of which Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith place a very high value on. More than anything else, in some cases.

When you sign a rookie kid to a contract worth millions.............that's when you start finding out what the REAL PERSON inside the athletic body is all about.

Our new management understands this reality................and lives it.

All new Falcons, signed by Dimitroff, will fit this formula.............not some "talking heads" favorite, based on factors described above.

Relax..............and watch what a real TEAM  CONCEPT can accomplish.

Well , I like the way we are going  , And I know that TD and MS have a plan. I just thought it was really wierd that all three DTs I wanted went to our in Div Rivals. Very odd. I guess all you guys will be able to judge my talent evaluation by watching these three DTs 6 times a year. Now I hope I missed on all of them , but I'm afraid I didn't . I think all 3 are the real deal.  :sick:

It just shows the other teams put an emphasis on DTs and we didn't.

They say the game is won in the trenches but it doesn't sell tickets like a QB does...

Ryan's our guy and we will live and die with him but I didn't want any QB with the #3 pick because of how much they were going to cost...

But oh well... that's all in the past now and there's no going back...

Although a DT wasn't picked, look at Rivals.Com draft/player rankings.  Now look below you'll see the following picks at the number picked and their respective ranking. 

Pick #,(Ranking), Position & Name of Player

3. (1) - QB Matt Ryan - I couldn't believe it seeing Ryan ranked higher than the Longs/Dorsey but using a #3 overall on top overall ranked player now looks kind of good!

21. (45) - OT Sam Baker - I felt like we'd get him in the second round but given the run of OTs, there was no choice here but to trade up for picking.  At least we've acquired some OL help here that was desperately needed.  The next pick could have easily gone somewhere around this pick had the "OL Sweepstakes" hadn't started a few picks earlier.

37. (27) - LB Curtis Lofton - First Round talent that drops to the second round thanks to the help of the "OL Sweepstakes".  Should make an immediate impact.  Makes the trade for Baker easier to swallow as we'd probably normally have gotten Baker here.

68. (84) - CB Chevis Jackson - Once again a need is addressed.  Jackson should be useful in the Cover 2 Defensive Scheme.  Might have been overdrafted but solid talent.

84. (NR) - WR Harry Douglas - Surprise pick of the litter here.  Could potentially be a very useful slot receiver for Ryan.

98. (97) - S Thomas DeCoud - Picked about where he was tagged to go.  Looks like a solid choice for this round of pick.  May not start right away but has great size (6'3"-204) & type of frame to carry extra weight and that would make for a lot of dropped passes to WRs who receive one of DeCoud's hits.

On the note of us reaching for Chevis Jackson... Dimitroff said in one of his pressers that they thought Chevis was going to go in the second and he almost traded up for him because he thought another team was going to get him, but luckily he stayed put and Chevis was there because I think carolina opted to take Charles Godfrey instead.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/19/2008)

They say the game is won in the trenches but it doesn't sell tickets like a QB does...

Ryan's our guy and we will live and die with him but I didn't want any QB with the #3 pick because of how much they were going to cost...

Eh, ST wasn't a strong position int he draft this year. Now next year is a different story.

Bring It (6/19/2008)
All pre-draft talk by the zillions of so called "experts" everywhere in the good 'ole USA grade the players basically with a stopwatch and/or their college play. These "experts" pay little or no attention to the players WORK ETHIC, INTEGRITY, CHARACTER, TEAM MENTALITY, etc....................all of which Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith place a very high value on. More than anything else, in some cases.

When you sign a rookie kid to a contract worth millions.............that's when you start finding out what the REAL PERSON inside the athletic body is all about.

Our new management understands this reality................and lives it.

All new Falcons, signed by Dimitroff, will fit this formula.............not some "talking heads" favorite, based on factors described above.

Relax..............and watch what a real TEAM  CONCEPT can accomplish.

Well said.

Draftnut,  take me back to the start of your post.  Why do you feel that the Falcons will draft Oher?  I am not knocking Oher, just trying to understand the link between DT's drafted in our division and our drafting of an OT. 

I think that Oher is destined to be a great LT.  However, TD drafted Baker and I believe that he will give Baker two seasons to prove himself.  If that is the case, then I don't see us drafting a LT next season....at least, not in the first round. 

I am hoping that Baker turns into a "good" LT.  Good is good enough for me.  If Ryan is protected and we can generate a good run attack along the left side of the OL, all will be well.   

Sun Tzu 7 (6/19/2008)

I understand the importance of Dt but are those guys going to pan out?I have seen those teams reach on wrs while we have had some luck in the 3rd or 4th.

DRAFTNUT, I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THE DRAFT, THE MOCKS, THE DRAMA. BUT LETS FACE IT KID, IT'S OVER FOR THIS YEAR. MOST ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE UP-COMING SEASON. THIS YEARS DRAFT IS HISTORY ..... KAPUT. BUT TO LEAVE YOU ON AN UP-BEAT, WE'LL HAVE ANOTHER ONE NEXT YEAR.

bgarcia28 (6/19/2008)
Draftnut,  take me back to the start of your post.  Why do you feel that the Falcons will draft Oher?  I am not knocking Oher, just trying to understand the link between DT's drafted in our division and our drafting of an OT. 

I think that Oher is destined to be a great LT.  However, TD drafted Baker and I believe that he will give Baker two seasons to prove himself.  If that is the case, then I don't see us drafting a LT next season....at least, not in the first round. 

I am hoping that Baker turns into a "good" LT.  Good is good enough for me.  If Ryan is protected and we can generate a good run attack along the left side of the OL, all will be well.   

I was just making the point that after this year of facing a much better D# from NO, TB , and Carolina , we will have to make our OL better in the 2009 draft , and let me add this , I was just sharing a weird happening in the draft . I just thought it was strange that the 3 DTs I had pegged for us just happen to go to our in Div  rivals , thats all I was saing .  I thought I had went to draft central when I posted this also.

1989fan (6/19/2008)
and TD said this years crop of DTs was weak outside of the top 2. So maybe our rivals just wasted picks with Moore & Hayden.

I'll take Ryan over Ellis all day, every day.

Well ,I'll say this , A franchise QB is much more important than a great DT , I know that right well.  I was just talking about how these were the 3 DTs I wanted for us and how that all 3 went to our Div.

AT the very first of our Draft talk in Dec of 2007 I actually was wanting Ryan for the first 2 weeks , but I then shifted to wanting Ellis hoping we could get Flacco at the top of the 2nd  or trade up for him like we did with Baker . I really do believe Flacco will be a great QB in time , He has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen with the prettiest spirals I think I have ever seen as well and in a few years he should even be stronger . The sky is the limit for him and I think he has what it takes between the ears to get it done very well.

Let me finish by saing I really like the Ryan pick and I knew that it was probably going to be the pick , and I don't blame them one bit for taking him . I really think it will prove to be the right move in a few years . I am the most positive person on here , I didn't mean to sound like I wish we had of taken one of the two top tackles but I do think we could have and then gottten Flacco and been just fine . But then we wouldn't have been able to get baker so I guess we'll see what the right move was in time , but I'm liking what we did better every day. I feel 100 times better about Baker than I did before the draft . His are length didn't bother me one bit , I was concerned about his quickness , but I think he has already proved he is much quicker that I thought.

• 1 month later...

for the record, i'm afraid ellis is going to torment us for some time. dre moore looks awesome on paper, but my gut feeling is that it wont translate to the field. hayden is the one guy that caught my attention as a late rd pick too but with montavious stanley we already have a guy on our roster for the last DT spot but with NFL experience.