Attributes of a great offensive lineman

There was an article a while back about the attributes of a good Offensive Lineman. I know size, strength and technique are important and I can understand those. What is meant by "nastiness"? Is it playing dirty? By dirty, I mean intentionally trying to injure opponents? Or is it just knocking the living crap out of the opponent on every play? Just looking for the O-line definition of "nastiness".

I don't think it's playing dirty, it's playing with a chip on your shoulder.. playing aggressively instead of letting the d-line come bring it to you.

There are some guys with great talent, size, strength etc who are just too passive in their play. It's not that they don't have the tools, it's that they aren't aggressive enough to use them.

crankthatbatman (6/19/2008)
falconfansince66 (6/19/2008)
Maybe with a first overall pick next year we can get 'This Guy'...

wow..you claim to have been a fan since 66 and you already have us picking first in the draft next year without the season even starting yet? wow, what a fan you are.

No fruitcake, I don't have us picking first overall.  And of all people, YOU, the complete "Falcon's Anti-Fan" is going to question my being a fan of this team?  Don't you need to get to your job cooking rubber ribeyes at the Waffle House?

wow..you claim to have been a fan since 66 and you already have us picking first in the draft next year without the season even starting yet? wow, what a fan you are.

No fruitcake, I don't have us picking first overall.  And of all people, YOU, the complete "Falcon's Anti-Fan" is going to question my being a fan of this team?  Don't you need to get to your job cooking rubber ribeyes at the Waffle House?

sounds like someone had a bad experiece at the waffle house recently.

i have high hopes for this team unlike you who said and i quote "maybe we can get this guy with the first overall pick next year". sounds like your the anti fan whos looking forward to a loosing season. dont get mad because your hearing the truth about yourself.

i have high hopes for this team unlike you who said and i quote "maybe we can get this guy with the first overall pick next year". sounds like your the anti fan whos looking forward to a loosing season. dont get mad because your hearing the truth about yourself.

You claim to have high hopes for this team and when they don't live up to your hopes, you're obviously one of those that trashes and bashes all the moves and progress being made.  Yes, I've been a fan since '66 and reserve a right to keep my expectations a little lower than many others.  The problem with people like yourself is that you expect too much and when that level of expectation is not reached, you become more dissapointed (and dissatisfied) than those of us that keep expectations at a reasonable level and will constantly trash the team (and it's players) and/or change loyalties as a result.

boss_martian (6/19/2008)
There was an article a while back about the attributes of a good Offensive Lineman. I know size, strength and technique are important and I can understand those. What is meant by "nastiness"? Is it playing dirty? By dirty, I mean intentionally trying to injure opponents? Or is it just knocking the living crap out of the opponent on every play? Just looking for the O-line definition of "nastiness".

A lot of linemen are the dirtiest players in the league. Nastiness goes beyond simple aggression, it could also be kicking, biting, pulling, hitting whatever you can find in the pile. I forget who it was, but I was watching some show about a lineman and he was in the bottom of a pile and he found someone's finger, so he broke it. It was his teammates. Whoops. Bob Brown, Hall of Famer, used to punch people in the solar plexus when he dropped back in pass blocking. Being nasty and dirty are pretty much synonymous.

boss_martian (6/19/2008)

it means during the play you try to dominate your man. Linemen have to have the attitude that they are in a fight every play. They don't have to take cheap shots, but they need to love to hit people. If they pancake someone and the play is still going, they need to look for someone else to hit. They need to have the attitude that they are the baddest mo-fo on the field, and there is no way the defender is going to beat them.

ON THE O-LINE YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MENTALITY OF A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN. YOU HAVE TO INFLICT SO MUCH PAIN ON THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU, THAT HE PAYS MORE ATTENTION TO YOU THAN HE PAYS TO WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE BACKFIELD. PAIN IS AN ATTENTION GETTER. AND IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOU INFLICT IT .... JUST AS LONG AS IT IS BEING APPLIED ON EVERY PLAY. I GUARANTEE THAT HE'LL STAY IN THE REF'S FACE CRYING ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING TO HIM. I DON'T CARE HOW BIG A GUY IS, IF HE'S GETTING A STEADY DIET OF PAIN ALL THINGS BECOME EQUAL. PAIN IS A GREAT EQUALIZER. GET IN THE FIRST PUNCH AT THE SNAP. GET IN THE LAST PUNCH AT THE WHISTLE. EVERYTIME HE GOES BACK TO THE DEFENSIVE HUDDLE .... HE'LL ALWAYS GLANCE BACK AT YOU. GOOD O-LINEMEN ARE MEAN, DIRT DOG MEAN!

REV.2000 (6/19/2008)
ON THE O-LINE YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MENTALITY OF A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN. YOU HAVE TO INFLICT SO MUCH PAIN ON THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU, THAT HE PAYS MORE ATTENTION TO YOU THAN HE PAYS TO WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE BACKFIELD. PAIN IS AN ATTENTION GETTER. AND IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW YOU INFLICT IT .... JUST AS LONG AS IT IS BEING APPLIED ON EVERY PLAY. I GUARANTEE THAT HE'LL STAY IN THE REF'S FACE CRYING ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING TO HIM. I DON'T CARE HOW BIG A GUY IS, IF HE'S GETTING A STEADY DIET OF PAIN ALL THINGS BECOME EQUAL. PAIN IS A GREAT EQUALIZER. GET IN THE FIRST PUNCH AT THE SNAP. GET IN THE LAST PUNCH AT THE WHISTLE. EVERYTIME HE GOES BACK TO THE DEFENSIVE HUDDLE .... HE'LL ALWAYS GLANCE BACK AT YOU. GOOD O-LINEMEN ARE MEAN, DIRT DOG MEAN!

foulcons fans have been in pain for years, decades even, so most can relate

consistentfalcon (6/19/2008)
REV.2000 (6/19/2008)

GO AWAY KID. DON'T YOU SEE GROWN PEOPLE TALKING?

REV.2000 (6/19/2008)
GET IN THE FIRST PUNCH AT THE SNAP. GET IN THE LAST PUNCH AT THE WHISTLE. EVERYTIME HE GOES BACK TO THE DEFENSIVE HUDDLE .... HE'LL ALWAYS GLANCE BACK AT YOU. GOOD O-LINEMEN ARE MEAN, DIRT DOG MEAN!

Great posting!!!  This could be the definition in Websters!

REV.2000 (6/19/2008)
consistentfalcon (6/19/2008)
REV.2000 (6/19/2008)

GO AWAY KID. DON'T YOU SEE GROWN PEOPLE TALKING?

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

i see wishful thinkers floating around in fantasy land 

Did you see The Sporting News preseason football magazine? They project the Falcons' record for the upcoming season as, 1-15. That s####,

Peace

604hof (6/20/2008)

Did you see The Sporting News preseason football magazine? They project the Falcons' record for the upcoming season as, 1-15. That s####,

Peace

considering all the newness thats pretty close imo. dont be mad at the writers that the foulcons are in the position they are in. thank you teams owner , vp and front office thats been reworking this team every couple a years. imo with the constant coaching changes theres no stability