16 Sundays; Week 4 - Atlanta @ Carolina

To read the full origin and explanation of this project click on the below link:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/forums/Topic3545779-45-1.aspxhttp://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Post.aspx?SessionID=xor44cm5uqpmwxevs45hhk45' s_oid="http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Post.aspx?SessionID=xor44cm5uqpmwxevs45hhk45" s_oidt="0">

I figured I would embark on a project. Fact is, if you are still coming to message board during these dog days, you truly are a die-hard.  My endeavor would be to project each game on the Falcons schedule and provide a box score and write-up for it.  Sometimes the write-ups would be detailed accounts of the game, others might focus on a players contribution to the game or their role with the team.  But each game and write-up would unravel the story of the Falcons 2008 season in as realistic a fashion as possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The goal?  Try and re-create the excitement and enthusiasm of going through the week by week trials and tribulations of watching the Falcons again.  Each week is linked at the bottom of the article if you want to catch up.

Falcons Come Crashing Down 27-7

Nothing looked good.  Nothing felt good.  From the moment Thomas Brown fumbled the opening kick-off until the final minute, very little the Falcons did on Sunday was worth watching (save for a pretty 40 yard TD scamper by Jerious Norwood).  Matt Ryan had his in over his head rookie moment tossing 3 INT s.  Sam Baker had little success keeping Julius Peppers (2.5 sacks) away from Matt Ryan.  What passes Matt Ryan was able to get off were dropped with too much frequency.

Long day sighed Coach Smith afterwards.  For three games, the Falcons had not looked overmatched at any point.  By winning two, they forced the NFL to take notice of them at least a little bit.  But a resurgent <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Carolina team hellbent on re-establishing their NFL dominance took control of this game at approximately 1:01PM and didn t look back.  After Brown s fumble it took but one play, Jake Delhomme finding Steve Smith juking by Chris Houston for the games first score. That was as close as the Falcons would get.

A young team is like a bunch of puppies, you know Coach Smith replied when asked if there was anything that happened during the week that might have predicated such a performance. There s a lot of energy, a lot of excitement. They re growing and learning fast.  But they make messes too - they still have a lot to learn.  It s not that they won t learn it, they just have to be exposed .  It was an intimation that perhaps Smith saw this coming a little bit.  Flowery Branch has been in as good a spirits as it s been for quite some time and you could tell that by watching some of the players in practice this week.  There was a boisterousness to some of the action that was new players feeling their oats a bit.  Some of the old dogs on this team know better, but the old dogs on this team are outnumbered.  There is something to be said for youthful exuberance, but at 2-1 perhaps these young Falcons were flying a bit too high.

In the end, 27-7 didn t begin to tell the story of how lopsided this game was.  Matt Ryan took his first benching of the season in stride as it was done more to protect Ryan from some of the vicious shots he was taking.  Certainly the prospect of exposing him to throwing another INT weighed on the minds of Smith & Mularkey as well.  But an O-Line that had held up fairly well for 3 games came unglued.  It s games like these, when they get out of hand that can affect a young QB s confidence.  Ryan answered every question at his locker after the game, not that it wasn t expected.  If there is one thing Ryan seems to have mastered about the pro game already, it s how to handle himself with the media.  But he did so humbly with insight and an eye towards putting this game in the memory banks and moving on.  For Chris Houston, the memory of whiffing on his bump at the line of scrimmage on Steve Smith on his TD reception won t be pleasant.  For Curtis Lofton, he ll cringe at missing out on a goal line stuff on Jonathan Stewart because he ducked his head at the last minute, missing one final slither.

Sunday was bound to happen at some point.  It s an experience every re-building team must go through, even one that had shown some promise.  Re-grounding oneself is not a bad thing so long as the re-grounding does not take 10 weeks.  It will be a test for this young team as they head to historic Lambeau Field.  Another poor effort there and this mirage of a good start to 2008 will be over.

PlayerCompAttemptsYardsComp%YPATDINTSKDYds LostScoring Summary
Matt Ryan122910941.38%3.76035291st Quarter
Chris Redman6108760.00%8.700015Steve Smith 25 Yard TD Reception
D.J. Shockley         John Kasay 32 Yard FG
TOTAL183919646.15%5.0303634
2nd Quarter
PlayerRushesYardsTDYPRReceptionsYardsTDYPRFumblesJonathan Stewart 2 Yard TD Run
Michael Turner1036       Jerious Norwood 40 Yard TD Run
Jerious Norwood4461 39 3.00 
Thomas Brown13  17 7.00 3rd Quarter
Ovie Mughelli         John Kasay 27 Yard FG
Matt Ryan17       D.J. Hackett 12 Yard TD Reception
Chris Redman         
Roddy White1-3  6102 17.00 4th Quarter
Laurent Robinson    325 8.33 
Harry Douglass    115 15.00 
Ben Hartsock    14 4.00 
Martrez Milner    334 11.33 
Michael Jenkins         

I love reading your posts, so don't take this personally, but there's no way the Panthers beat us by 20.  We've won in their house the last 2 or 3 times in a row.  Also, going into BOA Stadium and coming out with a win is my shining moment as a Falcons fan, so it breaks my heart just thinking about losing like that to that sorry team.

Awesome post and I appreciate you being objective, if I made these the falcons would definitely be 16-0 and win every game by at least 21 points. It's quite entertaining.

Just constructive crit. but I believe Peppers is a LE wouldn't that mean he's facing our RT/TE and not Sam Baker?

atlfalcon36 (6/19/2008)Just constructive crit. but I believe Peppers is a LE wouldn't that mean he's facing our RT/TE and not Sam Baker?

Up until this year he had been, but Carolina has said they are moving him to RE to 1) replace the retiring Mike Rucker 2) try and jumpstart Peppers' production levels which fell off the map in 2007.

DWII good read as always from an entertainment point of view. At first I thought your endeavour was exhibition in futility. But the way you write it, the attention detail and the effort is outstanding. And many have said and I agree much better than ANY ajc article! I can always feel an emotional connect with these posts.

That being said......we are not just 2-2 but 0-2 in the division here buddy. I think that you while entertaining and clever are going to loose some support in this little venture if you see us loose many divisional games. I know your trying for realistic but the truth in reality is we have won alot against the Panthers and this division turns over every year!

I like the quotes and attitude you attributed to our H.C. Its much more refreshing than Jim "ah shucks at least we had fun" Mora and Bobby "**** it we lost and I am taking my ball and going home" Petrino. Lets hope thats what he is like, and lets also hope we play better than this post in reality! But hey thanks good read!!! 

TheDirtyWordII (6/19/2008)
atlfalcon36 (6/19/2008)Just constructive crit. but I believe Peppers is a LE wouldn't that mean he's facing our RT/TE and not Sam Baker?

Up until this year he had been, but Carolina has said they are moving him to RE to 1) replace the retiring Mike Rucker 2) try and jumpstart Peppers' production levels which fell off the map in 2007.

Ah ok... thank you for correcting my correction, and I appreciate the hard work you put into these posts. I don't care about other teams so usually position change on a rival team doesn't hit my radar... Well hopefully Sam Baker can handle it, he's going to have it rough having to face Peppers, Grant and Adams twice a year let alone everyone else.

norwoodfan2132 (6/19/2008)
dude its cool that u put effort into it...but why speculate THAT MUCH?..its kind of ridiculous...all the random stats and scores..when u have NO IDEA what is going to happen..and if ryan is even going to be starting in the beginning of the season

I think you're missing the point...

For one, a message boards existence (at least like this one) is based on speculation.  When the draft comes around, we all speculate.  When we draft a player, we speculate how good that player is going to be, or how big a role within the team they'll assume.  When the season starts, we speculate as to what our record will be - how good (or bad) we'll wind up.  To say one level or degree of speculation over the other is acceptable versus another...if you're speculating, who cares how far you take it.

I don't know if you read the original intent of mine in creating these threads (you should if you haven't).  But it's a dull time of year for all of us.  The fact that we are on a Falcons message board in June demonstrates that.  Every single one of us can't wait for July 26 and then eventually September 7.

We all have our ideas on how the season is going to play out.  This seemed a fun and enthusiastic way for my speculation to play out and offer those who chose to read it an experience of sorts.  Of course I have no idea how everything is going to play out.  Mike Smith doesn't know.  But you can still have fun with it and for those reading and getting a sense for what reading recaps and boxscore, they have something to look forward to other than hearing about 5th round picks signing around the NFL.

maybe u should put a discaimer in there to prevent stuff like this

dude its cool that u put effort into it...but why speculate THAT MUCH?..its kind of ridiculous...all the random stats and scores..when u have NO IDEA what is going to happen..and if ryan is even going to be starting in the beginning of the season

For one, a message boards existence (at least like this one) is based on speculation. When the draft comes around, we all speculate. When we draft a player, we speculate how good that player is going to be, or how big a role within the team they'll assume. When the season starts, we speculate as to what our record will be - how good (or bad) we'll wind up. To say one level or degree of speculation over the other is acceptable versus another...if you're speculating, who cares how far you take it.

I don't know if you read the original intent of mine in creating these threads (you should if you haven't). But it's a dull time of year for all of us. The fact that we are on a Falcons message board in June demonstrates that. Every single one of us can't wait for July 26 and then eventually September 7.

We all have our ideas on how the season is going to play out. This seemed a fun and enthusiastic way for my speculation to play out and offer those who chose to read it an experience of sorts. Of course I have no idea how everything is going to play out. Mike Smith doesn't know. But you can still have fun with it and for those reading and getting a sense for what reading recaps and boxscore, they have something to look forward to other than hearing about 5th round picks signing around the NFL.

Isn't that what the top of each of these posts is?

VTCrunkler (6/19/2008)
maybe u should put a discaimer in there to prevent stuff like this

For one, a message boards existence (at least like this one) is based on speculation. When the draft comes around, we all speculate. When we draft a player, we speculate how good that player is going to be, or how big a role within the team they'll assume. When the season starts, we speculate as to what our record will be - how good (or bad) we'll wind up. To say one level or degree of speculation over the other is acceptable versus another...if you're speculating, who cares how far you take it.

I don't know if you read the original intent of mine in creating these threads (you should if you haven't). But it's a dull time of year for all of us. The fact that we are on a Falcons message board in June demonstrates that. Every single one of us can't wait for July 26 and then eventually September 7.

We all have our ideas on how the season is going to play out. This seemed a fun and enthusiastic way for my speculation to play out and offer those who chose to read it an experience of sorts. Of course I have no idea how everything is going to play out. Mike Smith doesn't know. But you can still have fun with it and for those reading and getting a sense for what reading recaps and boxscore, they have something to look forward to other than hearing about 5th round picks signing around the NFL.

For one, a message boards existence (at least like this one) is based on speculation.  When the draft comes around, we all speculate.  When we draft a player, we speculate how good that player is going to be, or how big a role within the team they'll assume.  When the season starts, we speculate as to what our record will be - how good (or bad) we'll wind up.  To say one level or degree of speculation over the other is acceptable versus another...if you're speculating, who cares how far you take it.

I don't know if you read the original intent of mine in creating these threads (you should if you haven't).  But it's a dull time of year for all of us.  The fact that we are on a Falcons message board in June demonstrates that.  Every single one of us can't wait for July 26 and then eventually September 7.

We all have our ideas on how the season is going to play out.  This seemed a fun and enthusiastic way for my speculation to play out and offer those who chose to read it an experience of sorts.  Of course I have no idea how everything is going to play out.  Mike Smith doesn't know.  But you can still have fun with it and for those reading and getting a sense for what reading recaps and boxscore, they have something to look forward to other than hearing about 5th round picks signing around the NFL.

ryan throwing 3 picks and us losing is your idea of fun?

Honestly, this is the second time you've said this, so really, if you don't like it, don't read it.  TDWII is putting in an AMAZING amount of work and thought process into these, so please stop the discouraging remarks.  If you have input into the thread, let it be said.  But if all you think is that it's ridiculous to speculate, we already know that.

you obviously don't understand the point of this post, it's lost on you

David Ethan (6/19/2008)

you obviously don't understand the point of this post, it's lost on you

gee i guess i dont:doze:..SWEET SIG!!!!!!!!!