Has Shockley moved up to first string as OTA's end?

theyhateme (6/24/2008)
SteelerDawg6481 (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

So I guess that explains the 24 TDs he had....or the high passer rating...:cool:

NEWSFLASH:

Those 24 TD's were in the SEC, not in the NFL.

Those are his most current stats....

and he did that in a running offense. His recievers were not stellar either

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zone3lb (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
cooperbh (6/24/2008)
EDdontellGregknapstinks (6/24/2008)
Jake Delhome, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger, Jon Kitna, David Gerad, Matt Shaub!

I guess all of these starters are all exceptions to the rule to, some of wich were not even drafted.

I guess Joey noodle arm and David on the run Carr are exeptions to the rule also. Being they were 1sty's and there not starting in the league rite now.

Not sayin Matt Ryan wont start in this league, just saying you guys dont know about Shockley just like you dont know about Ryan.

Get a clue quit talkin out your azzes, come up with some real info for this debate.

Or maybe you can just keep drinkin your Dr. Pepper and smokin your Cigs cause your shure dont make much since at all.

Yeah... you see, the thing is is that all those QBs you listed have at least some measure of talent. DJ doesn't.

Do you wanna know what DJ's job essentially was during his one and only year of playing football in a league where his competition wasn't other children?

1) Hand off to the stud RB.

2) Dump off to the stud RB and let him handle the other 20-60 yards on the "long" pass play.

3) Hand off to the stud RB.

4) Throw the occasional 30 yard wobbler to the sideline and wait for your athletically superior WR to grab the jump ball from the little Gamecock DB.

5) Hand off to the stud RB.

6) Lather, rinse, repeat...

You gotta be able to throw a tight spiral with touch and hit a WR in stride at this level. DJ has never even been asked to do that, let alone remotely able to pull off the feat.

Since, for the moment, there is space for him on the roster, management will once again use him to drive up preseason ticket sales among the many members of the UGA fanbase who don't possess the football acumen to distinguish between "NFL" and "SEC." After that, there will be no further use for him and Shockley's little magic carpet ride as a member of an NFL team will at last come to an end. Then, mercifully, we'll never have to hear his name again. Unless, of course, it is being spoken in a sentence that also includes the words "Talley" or "Bobo."

Think I'll crack open a DP and have a smoke now...

So I guess that explains the 24 TDs he had....or the high passer rating...:cool:

or why he's hasn't been cut in 3 years

Not many QB's could've supplanted Vick or Shaub

DJ could've been a late first to second round draft pick in 08(weaker QB class)

Is really that hard to accept that he could be as talented as the other QBs?

These guys get so wrapped up with their feelings that they forget that D.J. has more upside than Redman and Harrington.  The way I see it, we have two Vets and two Rookies.  The two rookies had outstanding Senior years in college!  The Vets...well...Redman is just "ok"....but HARRINGTON:pinch:...wow...he ummmm, he's not so good...lol!

zone3lb (6/24/2008)
why not accept the fact that we could have two yes two young talented quarterbacks. How many teams can say that? The bucs have 12 qbs and still only can say they have 1.5 josh being 1

I know that's how the FO is seeing it.  You can't lose with Ryan, Shock and Redman as QBs. Even if the Falcons carried four, Harrington barely squeaks by...I'd bring in someone to push him. 

cooperbh (6/24/2008)
Jake Delhome, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger, Jon Kitna, David Gerad, Matt Shaub!

I guess all of these starters are all exceptions to the rule to, some of wich were not even drafted.

I guess Joey noodle arm and David on the run Carr are exeptions to the rule also. Being they were 1sty's and there not starting in the league rite now.

Not sayin Matt Ryan wont start in this league, just saying you guys dont know about Shockley just like you dont know about Ryan.

Get a clue quit talkin out your azzes, come up with some real info for this debate.

Or maybe you can just keep drinkin your Dr. Pepper and smokin your Cigs cause your shure dont make much since at all.

Yeah... you see, the thing is is thatall those QBs you listedhave at leastsome measure of talent. DJ doesn't.

Do you wannaknow what DJ's job essentially wasduring his one and only year ofplaying footballin a league wherehis competition wasn't other children?

2)Dump off to the stud RB and let himhandle the other 20-60 yards on the "long" pass play.

4) Throw the occasional 30 yard wobbler to the sideline and wait for your athletically superior WR to grab the jump ball from the little Gamecock DB.

You gotta be able to throw a tight spiral with touch and hit a WR in stride at this level. DJ has never even been asked to do that, let alone remotely able to pull off the feat.

Since, for the moment, there is space for him on the roster, management will once again use him to drive up preseason ticket salesamong the many members of the UGAfanbasewhodon't possess the footballacumento distinguish between "NFL" and "SEC." After that,there will be no further use for him and Shockley's little magic carpet rideas a member ofan NFLteamwill at last come to an end. Then, mercifully, we'll never have to hearhis nameagain. Unless, of course,it is beingspoken ina sentence that also includes thewords"Talley" or "Bobo."

Stud RB?? what stud rb are you talkin bout. and what wideout are you talkin bout?? man just stop acting like you know something bout Dawg Football, because if you did you would know that DJ didnt have stud Rbs or prolific wides. the best he had was Pope, who isnt doing crap in this league.

Im excited about Shocks NFL future.  Brian Finneran was on 680 this morning and he said DJ is looking really good in the team drills and throwing some great balls.  He also said he thinks DJ is the odd man out right now, no matter how well he does.  Finneran said teams will come after DJ if he gets cut.  By the way he said Joey sucks and is scared to throw the ball to his first checkdown.  just kidding about that last part but its true.  I will throw all might falcons stuff in the trash if they cut the best QB on the team.

The Falcon Ace (6/24/2008)
Chris Redman? Matt Ryan? Yeah, I would be pretty mad if they just cut either of those two.

id only be mad if matt ryan got cut. chris redman won 1/4 games in a different offense, not this one. also redman won in an offense that he ran in college.

Yo! while your drinkin the DP and smokin cig, do me a favor and tell me who that stud running back was! You can also tell me who his stud WR was too!

The correct answer is he didn't have any studs on the team at either of those positions. The truth is DJ was the stud.

I think his senior year it was three running backs and all of them sucked because not one could stand out eneugh to take the starting role. Fact is, that stud WR your talking about went to the eagles the year before DJ got the chance to start.

Quit talkin out your azzes, Come up with stuff that is true not false!

zone3lb (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
cooperbh (6/24/2008)

Yeah... you see, the thing is is that all those QBs you listed have at least some measure of talent. DJ doesn't.

Do you wanna know what DJ's job essentially was during his one and only year of playing football in a league where his competition wasn't other children?

2) Dump off to the stud RB and let him handle the other 20-60 yards on the "long" pass play.

Since, for the moment, there is space for him on the roster, management will once again use him to drive up preseason ticket sales among the many members of the UGA fanbase who don't possess the football acumen to distinguish between "NFL" and "SEC." After that, there will be no further use for him and Shockley's little magic carpet ride as a member of an NFL team will at last come to an end. Then, mercifully, we'll never have to hear his name again. Unless, of course, it is being spoken in a sentence that also includes the words "Talley" or "Bobo."

I've already addressed the 24 TDs and decent passer rating: Short passes to your playmakers who then take it down the field to the house. Only in college football can a QB not capable of pushing the ball downfield rack up ample yardage and TD totals. DJ's "success" at UGA is just another example of this reality.

The reason why he hasn't been cut? It's the same reason B-Finn hasn't been cut - players on the IR don't take up a roster spot. That, and he makes the league minimum like every other scrub. There's no reason to cut him. At least not until he serves his original purpose one last time and gets a few suckers to shell out money to come see him play in some NFL "games" down at the dome come August. After that, we're gonna need that roster spot for a real football player.

As for DJ being a "late first to second round draft pick" in '08, what can I say - you either know an NFL QB when you see one or you don't. Not surprising, really, that so many people who hold such a pronvincial view of the football landscape would not be able to recognize that which separates amateur from professional. Like I've said before - some of you people who call yourself Falcons fans should really just stick to the slowed-down, dumbed-down version of the game; where the team that recruits the biggest, strongest and fastest athletes in the region wins. No talent evaluation skills required.

And finally...

Yes - when someone has zero talent, it really is that hard to accept that he could be as talented as those who have at least a little bit.

cooperbh (6/24/2008)
zone3lb (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
cooperbh (6/24/2008)

I've already addressed the 24 TDs and decent passer rating: Short passes to your playmakers who then take it down the field to the house. Only in college football can a QB not capable of pushing the ball downfield rack up ample yardage and TD totals. DJ's "success" at UGA is just another example of this reality.

The reason why he hasn't been cut? It's the same reason B-Finn hasn't been cut - players on the IR don't take up a roster spot. That, and he makes the league minimum like every other scrub. There's no reason to cut him. At least not until he serves his original purpose one last time and gets a few suckers to shell out money to come see him play in some NFL "games" down at the dome come August. After that, we're gonna need that roster spot for a real football player.

As for DJ being a "late first to second round draft pick" in '08, what can I say - you either know an NFL QB when you see one or you don't. Not surprising, really, that so many people who hold such a pronvincial view of the football landscape would not be able to recognize that which separates amateur from professional. Like I've said before - some of you people who call yourself Falcons fans should really just stick to the slowed-down, dumbed-down version of the game; where the team that recruits the biggest, strongest and fastest athletes in the region wins. No talent evaluation skills required.

And finally...

Yes - when someone has zero talent, it really is that hard to accept that he could be as talented as those who have at least a little bit.

Obviously you don't know a reliable receiver as well as a versitile QB that has to be given an opportunity in NFL.  :cool:

Wow!!!!!!! he has a logical mind for debating he can write in really, really big font. Yipiiiiiiiii

While writing total nosense with nothing to back up his thoughts on the matter, he must be looking into one of those #8 Balls. It must be telling him shockley future.

your debating material stinks, must be from all that azz talkin!

herr doktor (6/24/2008)
DJ SHOCKLEY-Next QB for the Georgia Force. Third string at best for the Falcons. Get over it people. He isn't good enough.

would you like to actually put some input into the arguement, besides your opinion, which means squat, since you can back it up.

also coop DJ has a farther YPA than Ryan, so does that mean that Ryan dumps off more than Ryan??

GEORGIAfan (6/24/2008)

also coop DJ has a farther YPA than Ryan, so does that mean that Ryan dumps off more than Ryan??

Yep. But dumping off because none of your downfield receivers are open after reading the defense/going through your progressions and dumping off because it's your primary means of getting your receivers the ball are two different things. Besides, Ryan had twice as many attempts as Shockley and no running game to fall back on. Anytime your passing game has to cover for no running game, your YPA is gonna go down.

And don't tell me UGA had no running game that year. When you have a QB who only throws for 2,500 yards, you're a running team. I don't care if there was a RBBC that year - I bet those two or three RBs had over 1,500 yards combined, especially if you include DJ's rushing totals. The "stud RB" I referred to was that commitee and their combined efforts.

So my original evaluation stands: Ride the running game and throw an out pattern every once in a while. Same four plays ad nauseum - typical SEC football game. That's what I saw from DJ when I was forced to watch a UGA game that year and nothing anyone says will make me remember it any differently.

cooperbh (6/25/2008)
GEORGIAfan (6/24/2008)

Yep. But dumping offbecause none ofyourdownfield receivers are open afterreading the defense/going through your progressionsand dumping offbecause it'syour primarymeans of gettingyour receivers the ballare two different things. Besides, Ryan had twice as many attempts as Shockley and no running game to fall back on. Anytime your passing game has to cover for no running game, your YPA is gonna go down.

And don't tell me UGA had no running game that year. When you have a QB who only throws for2,500 yards, you're a running team. I don't care if there was a RBBC that year -I bet those two or threeRBs had over1,500 yards combined, especially if you include DJ's rushing totals. The "stud RB" I referred to was thatcommitee and their combined efforts.

So my original evaluation stands: Ride the running game and throwan out pattern every once in a while. Same four plays ad nauseum - typicalSEC football game. That's what I saw from DJ when I was forced to watch a UGA game that year andnothing anyone says will make me remember it any differently.

i never said they had no running game. i said they had no stud RB. all the Rbs dont average a lot of yards per carry. but 1500yrds isnt riding the running game, since Shock lead us back in a lot of games. also Shock was pretty much the 4th RB on the team, but only by 10yrds. and DJ didnt have a great wideout. Good TE, but no great Wideout.

UGA that year did it with above average Oline, and a mobile Qb that used his mobility to make defenders wait for him to react instead of attack, which is normal with a pocket QB. the best player was thomas brown, but look at where we got him. 5th round pick.

also isnt the offense we are running now gonna be Running game based?? seems like the offense DJ ran in college, but he got more offensive power this year.:cool: its time for DJ to SHINE!!!

also like i said DJ had a better YPA, which was more than 8yrds. i doubt he did check downs to get that, since his rbs dont have huge amounts of rec yards. his TE avg 13.9yrds. check the stats. DJ didnt have a Wideout that was worth anything. DJ spreads the ball around a lot. every gets the ball. the 2005 Bulldogs didnt have great players, besides DJ, but had good Oline and really good Defense.

I think we should call up the Patriots and see if they will trade DJ for Tom Brady because DJ's stats were better in college.  Those preseason throws he airmailed are an anomaly.  Plus, we're keeping him at 4th string so he should be fresh.  Not to mention he's a class act and didn't get two women pregnant.  How could they so NO? 

I'm not saying that Matt Ryan is not a proven QB in College football. I'm not saying that he will not be a good to great QB in the NFL. What I am Saying is I'm willing to give Ryan his props, so why are you so bent on saying DJ Sucks and does not deserve a shot. Just the same way that Derek Anderson a 3rd string QB got his shot and the brown let brady sit and leard the ropes in the NFL. DJ had an oustanding season his one and only shot in college but your not even willing to admit that, you say its because of his supporting cast. Last I checked that is what a QB is supposed to be doing! That is being a field general and using the talents that the team had for that year.

I am going to go check the yards per average for that year and also the total rushing yard for the season I will post up in a little while.

StatisticUGAOpponent
Scoring384213
Points per Game29.516.4
First Downs258229
Rushing106114
Passing132101
Penalty2014
Total Offense5,0854,075
Avg per Play6.24.8
Avg per Game391.2313.5
Fumbles-Lost21-1127-13
Penalties-Yards77-697104-756
Avg per Game53.658.2
StatisticUGAOpponent
Punts-Yards57-2,44380-3,140
Avg per Punt37.941.0
Time of Possession/Game28:3631:24
3rd Down Conversions60 / 163 (37%)70 / 188 (37%)
4th Down Conversions7 / 12 (58%)9 / 16 (56%)
Touchdowns Scored4527
Field Goals-Attempts-Long23-30-589-12-45
PAT-Attempts45-45 (100%)24-25 (96%)
Attendance556,206253,607
Games/Avg per Game6 / 92,7014 / 63,402

[edit] Scores by quarter

1234Total
Opponents55474467213
Georgia8011510188384
Avg per game was 106 rshing yrds  that is an average running game. A stud running game would be like Arks Running game in the SEC.

EDdontellGregknapstinks (6/25/2008)
StatisticUGAOpponent
Scoring384213
Points per Game29.516.4
First Downs258229
Rushing106114
Passing132101
Penalty2014
Total Offense5,0854,075
Avg per Play6.24.8
Avg per Game391.2313.5
Fumbles-Lost21-1127-13
Penalties-Yards77-697104-756
Avg per Game53.658.2
StatisticUGAOpponent
Punts-Yards57-2,44380-3,140
Avg per Punt37.941.0
Time of Possession/Game28:3631:24
3rd Down Conversions60 / 163 (37%)70 / 188 (37%)
4th Down Conversions7 / 12 (58%)9 / 16 (56%)
Touchdowns Scored4527
Field Goals-Attempts-Long23-30-589-12-45
PAT-Attempts45-45 (100%)24-25 (96%)
Attendance556,206253,607
Games/Avg per Game6 / 92,7014 / 63,402

[edit] Scores by quarter

1234Total
Opponents55474467213
Georgia8011510188384

Avg per game was 106 rshing yrds  that is an average running game. A stud running game would be like Arks Running game in the SEC.

What year is this?

Hasselbeck, Brees, and Schaub were all drafted well before the sixth round.  Every other player on your list also started in college for at least three years.  Shockley played 1!!!!