Has Shockley moved up to first string as OTA's end?

GEORGIAfan (6/24/2008)
David Ethan (6/23/2008)
peter griffin (6/22/2008)
shockley may be our derek anderson.

lololol.........now that's some funny #####..............lolololololololololololol

to put shockely and anderson in the same sentence is so unbelievably insulting to Anderson it's not even funny. Why not just say Jimmy Williams is our Derek Anderson? It's just as likely. What is so hard to understand??

Shockley has played ONE.....(ONE!!!!!!!!!!) season of football in the past six years!!!!!!!!!! SIX YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why are you such a hater. redman hadnt played real football in 3 years. atleast shock was on the pratice field. which is playing football. played preseason, which is football. you say 6 years, but dont mention that its talking bout starting, and in the 1 year he was way better than matt ryan.

If the Falcons didn't take Shockley, he doesn't get drafted.  To say his one season starting was "way better than Matt Ryan" is a joke.  You can't obviously believe that.  Matt Ryan was just drafted 3rd overall in NFL draft.  Shockley was a late 6th rd. pick.  To compare the two is hugely insulting to the former.  I wouldn't be hating nearly as often if I were to encounter even the slightest bit of realistic assessment regarding Shockley.  You keep using the Brady's (6th rd) and Redman (no football for 3 yrs) as references and comparisons, but you must understand, they are the exceptions, certainly not the rule.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Ethan (6/24/2008)

If the Falcons didn't take Shockley, he doesn't get drafted.  To say his one season starting was "way better than Matt Ryan" is a joke.  You can't obviously believe that.  Matt Ryan was just drafted 3rd overall in NFL draft.  Shockley was a late 6th rd. pick.  To compare the two is hugely insulting to the former.  I wouldn't be hating nearly as often if I were to encounter even the slightest bit of realistic assessment regarding Shockley.  You keep using the Brady's (6th rd) and Redman (no football for 3 yrs) as references and comparisons, but you must understand, they are the exceptions, certainly not the rule.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Ironically, GEORGIAFAN is the main reason people on here give Shockley a hard time.  Without him, DJ would be just what he is - an insignificant 4th string QB. 

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
David Ethan (6/24/2008)

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Ironically, GEORGIAFAN is the main reason people on here give Shockley a hard time.  Without him, DJ would be just what he is - an insignificant 4th string QB. 

Wonder what does that make Harrington/Redmon/Ryan who will be competing with him for a job...? :ermm:

Jake Delhome, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger, Jon Kitna, David Gerad, Matt Shaub!

I guess all of these starters are all exceptions to the rule to, some of wich were not even drafted.

I guess Joey noodle arm and David on the run Carr are exeptions to the rule also. Being they were 1sty's and there not starting in the league rite now.

Not sayin Matt Ryan wont start in this league, just saying you guys dont know about Shockley just like you dont know about Ryan.

Get a clue quit talkin out your azzes, come up with some real info for this debate.

Or maybe you can just keep drinkin your Dr. Pepper and smokin your Cigs cause your shure dont make much since at all.

EDdontellGregknapstinks (6/24/2008)
Jake Delhome, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger, Jon Kitna, David Gerad, Matt Shaub!

Delhomo and Kitna suck.  Drew Brees and Matt Schaub were studs - not a good comparison.  Romo, Brady, Warner, and Hasselbeck all had GREAT supporting casts.  That leaves Anderson, Garrard, and Bulger.  Between the three they've won about 2 playoff games. 

If DJ is to ever win an NFL game, it won't be QBing for the Falcons.

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)

Delhomo and Kitna suck.  Drew Brees and Matt Schaub were studs - not a good comparison.  Romo, Brady, Warner, and Hasselbeck all had GREAT supporting casts.  That leaves Anderson, Garrard, and Bulger.  Between the three they've won about 2 playoff games. 

If DJ is to ever win an NFL game, it won't be QBing for the Falcons.

Can you at least explain why you don't think Shockley will ever QB for the Falcons?  Be as intelligent and thought provoking as your post about the 3 QBs from yesterday.  :cool:

automax (6/20/2008)
For the record, when did it become a bad thing to be a fan of the team in your home state? The non UGA fans should back off a bit. It's only natural to support those that have played for the team that you pull for the most. There's nothing wrong with pulling for Shockley, but we should also try to remain realistic as well.

The only thing Shockley has going against him is being a black QB.  MV has caused the falcons management to not want a black QB.  The same way they overracted and want something opposite of Mora Jr like Petrino.  DJ will be champion in the nfl.

smoke20 (6/24/2008)
automax (6/20/2008)
For the record, when did it become a bad thing to be a fan of the team in your home state? The non UGA fans should back off a bit. It's only natural to support those that have played for the team that you pull for the most. There's nothing wrong with pulling for Shockley, but we should also try to remain realistic as well.

The only thing Shockley has going against him is being a black QB.  MV has caused the falcons management to not want a black QB.  The same way they overracted and want something opposite of Mora Jr like Petrino.  DJ will be champion in the nfl.

Link??? Because the FO didn't say anything like that several weeks ago.  They like his versitility and age.

DJ's fate was sealed the day Ryan was drafted.  Unless Redman pulls a Derek Anderson, Ryan is starting by week 9.  That leaves 4 preseason games and 8 regular games for DJ to have any shot at playing this year if he can overcome the following:

A ton of rust due to not playing 5 of the last six years

Major knee surgery

3rd offense in 3 years

He's not Randel El - nowhere near the athleticism

2 veterans ahead of him - 1 that has earned the starter role for now by his play last season and the other a journeyman who atleast won't lose the game for you.

Splitting practice time 4 ways - and you know the goal is to develop Ryan, not DJ

We've got one project already, we don't need another

We just resigned both of those vet Qbs

72M dollars

If he's able to overcome all that, then I tip my hat to him. 

Best case scenario - He impresses the coaches enough that they cut Harrington and DJ is #3.  He progresses well enough over the season that Redman is released in the offseason and DJ becomes the backup. 

Worst scenario - He can't beat out Harrington and is released outright.

My prediction: If DJ were to prove that he could beat out Redman and Harrrington, it's unlikely that he'd be willing to accept a backup role or that Atlanta would want to have trade bait sitting on the bench when your team has so many holes.  If DJ is eligible for the practice squad, that's where he'll be.  Otherwise, he gets the nod over Harrington, sits the bench again this year and is used for trade bait in the offseason.  The only way you let talent ride the pine is when it's not costing you anything.  Right now, DJ is cheap but when he becomes a free agent he will shop the market.  He will never play a snap for the Falcons.

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
Best case scenario - He impresses the coaches enough that they cut Harrington and DJ is #3.  He progresses well enough over the season that Redman is released in the offseason and DJ becomes the backup. 

Worst scenario - He can't beat out Harrington and is released outright.

My prediction: If DJ were to prove that he could beat out Redman and Harrrington, it's unlikely that he'd be willing to accept a backup role or that Atlanta would want to have trade bait sitting on the bench when your team has so many holes.  If DJ is eligible for the practice squad, that's where he'll be.  Otherwise, he gets the nod over Harrington, sits the bench again this year and is used for trade bait in the offseason.  The only way you let talent ride the pine is when it's not costing you anything.  Right now, DJ is cheap but when he becomes a free agent he will shop the market.  He will never play a snap for the Falcons.

I WILL proudly eat crow....:cool:

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

I've given my anaysis, let's see yours.  Explain to me how he realistically gets real playing time. 

1. Redmon.... 1-3...could've won 1 more.

2. Harrington....flat out terrible...holds the ball too long...indecisive...no pocket presense/awareness....throws too many INTs.

3.  Matt Ryan....well...72 million can't sit for too long....

So having said that, if Shockley stays healthy....he'll be the #2 with Ryan starting and handing off the ball.

theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

I've given my anaysis, let's see yours.  Explain to me how he realistically gets real playing time. 

2. Harrington....flat out terrible...holds the ball too long...indecisive...no pocket presense/awareness....throws too many INTs.

So having said that, if Shockley stays healthy....he'll be the #2 with Ryan starting and handing off the ball.

Very weak argument, you can't do better than that?  Last time I checked #2 is sitting on the bench.  And it's Redman, not Redmon. 

Your reprisal may become my new sig if you can't do better. 

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

Very weak argument, you can't do better than that?  Last time I checked #2 is sitting on the bench.  And it's Redman, not Redmon. 

I don't need to say much more...I mean you know the story....SEC Champ...148+ Passer Rating in first and only full season as a starter...tied the school record with 24 TDs...the FO wants him around...academically sound....no issues off the field....don't mind waiting his turn....what else...

theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

I don't need to say much more...I mean you know the story....SEC Champ...148+ Passer Rating in first and only full season as a starter...tied the school record with 24 TDs...the FO wants him around...academically sound....no issues off the field....don't mind waiting his turn....what else...

So you get punked out and now you want to quit.  I've tried to be patient with you but I'm done.  You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.  Adios. 

Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)
Bill Cox (6/24/2008)
theyhateme (6/24/2008)

So you get punked out and now you want to quit.  I've tried to be patient with you but I'm done.  You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.  Adios. 

There it is...but if you missed it:

"I don't need to say much more...I mean you know the story....SEC Champ...148+ Passer Rating in first and only full season as a starter...tied the school record with 24 TDs...the FO wants him around...academically sound....no issues off the field....don't mind waiting his turn....what else..."

I guess all of these starters are all exceptions to the rule to, some of wich were not even drafted.

I guess Joey noodle arm and David on the run Carr are exeptions to the rule also. Being they were 1sty's and there not starting in the league rite now.

Not sayin Matt Ryan wont start in this league, just saying you guys dont know about Shockley just like you dont know about Ryan.

Get a clue quit talkin out your azzes, come up with some real info for this debate.

Or maybe you can just keep drinkin your Dr. Pepper and smokin your Cigs cause your shure dont make much since at all.

Yeah... you see, the thing is is that all those QBs you listed have at least some measure of talent. DJ doesn't.

Do you wanna know what DJ's job essentially was during his one and only year of playing football in a league where his competition wasn't other children?

1) Hand off to the stud RB.

2) Dump off to the stud RB and let him handle the other 20-60 yards on the "long" pass play.

3) Hand off to the stud RB.

4) Throw the occasional 30 yard wobbler to the sideline and wait for your athletically superior WR to grab the jump ball from the little Gamecock DB.

5) Hand off to the stud RB.

6) Lather, rinse, repeat...

You gotta be able to throw a tight spiral with touch and hit a WR in stride at this level. DJ has never even been asked to do that, let alone remotely able to pull off the feat.

Since, for the moment, there is space for him on the roster, management will once again use him to drive up preseason ticket sales among the many members of the UGA fanbase who don't possess the football acumen to distinguish between "NFL" and "SEC." After that, there will be no further use for him and Shockley's little magic carpet ride as a member of an NFL team will at last come to an end. Then, mercifully, we'll never have to hear his name again. Unless, of course, it is being spoken in a sentence that also includes the words "Talley" or "Bobo."

Think I'll crack open a DP and have a smoke now...

cooperbh (6/24/2008)

Yeah... you see, the thing is is that all those QBs you listed have at least some measure of talent. DJ doesn't.

Do you wanna know what DJ's job essentially was during his one and only year of playing football in a league where his competition wasn't other children?

2) Dump off to the stud RB and let him handle the other 20-60 yards on the "long" pass play.

4) Throw the occasional 30 yard wobbler to the sideline and wait for your athletically superior WR to grab the jump ball from the little Gamecock DB.

You gotta be able to throw a tight spiral with touch and hit a WR in stride at this level. DJ has never even been asked to do that, let alone remotely able to pull off the feat.

Since, for the moment, there is space for him on the roster, management will once again use him to drive up preseason ticket sales among the many members of the UGA fanbase who don't possess the football acumen to distinguish between "NFL" and "SEC." After that, there will be no further use for him and Shockley's little magic carpet ride as a member of an NFL team will at last come to an end. Then, mercifully, we'll never have to hear his name again. Unless, of course, it is being spoken in a sentence that also includes the words "Talley" or "Bobo."

So I guess that explains the 24 TDs he had....or the high passer rating...:cool:

theyhateme (6/24/2008)
cooperbh (6/24/2008)

So I guess that explains the 24 TDs he had....or the high passer rating...:cool:

or why he's hasn't been cut in 3 years

Not many QB's could've supplanted Vick or Shaub

DJ could've been a late first to second round draft pick in 08(weaker QB class)

Is really that hard to accept that he could be as talented as the other QBs?