WILLIAMS HEADS TO WAIVERS

atljbo

WILLIAMS HEADS TO WAIVERS

Posted by Mike Florio on June 17, 2008, 6:59 p.m.

With less than four years in the NFL, former Falcons defensive back Jimmy Williams will now hit the waiver wire.

If he isn t claimed, he ll become a free agent.

One team to watch in this regard is the Seattle Seahawks, given that Seahawks assistant (and head coach in waiting) Jim Mora was the head coach of the Falcons when Williams was drafted. Another possibility is the Rams, since new St. Louis Executive V.P. of Player Personnel Billy Devaney was working in the Falcons front office when Williams was drafted.

Whether either team is truly interested depends on whether either man wanted Williams. And whether either man decided that Williams isn t very good based on the time observing him in Atlanta.

Still, for $445,000 in 2008 and no up-front money, it might be worth taking a shot at whipping him into shape. Especially since he ll earn none of the salary unless he makes the final cut.

special c (6/17/2008)
Jim Mora isn't going anywhere near Jimmy Williams. There was a reason he was starting Allen Rossum at CB over him.

I'm not really defending Jimmy Williams, but he was hurt with ankle problems when Webster went down, and Mora never really liked playing rookies over veterans... it took a long time for Hall to get on the field after his injury rookie year, Jenkins pretty much only played special teams during his 7 catch rookie season because Mora wanted to "develop" him, Roddy White rode the bench for more than half his rookie season until Mora woke up and realized the Dez White was junk... Mora liked to keep rookies in a developmental status until they were absolutely needed to play the full load, take Boley, Chauncey Davis, and Jonathon Babineaux for example.

In this case, Mora had the option of playing a rookie who was hurt or a "seasoned" veteran. He went with the vet. One more reason he eventually lost his job.

Mora lost his job because he was fed-up with the front office handcuffing him to losers. Despite what people think his staff installed at least 3 offenses and none really worked because of said player(s). It was not like Mora could bench the offending party...the FO went as far as to intentionally impregnate the team with poor players that sold tickets...you try winning with a QB that plays a minimum of 9 dome games a season and can barley pass for 50%, while leaching an unreal amount of cap money.

uup115 (6/17/2008)
Mora lost his job because he was fed-up with the front office handcuffing him to losers. Despite what people think his staff installed at least 3 offenses and none really worked because of said player(s). It was not like Mora could bench the offending party...the FO went as far as to intentionally impregnate the team with poor players that sold tickets...you try winning with a QB that plays a minimum of 9 dome games a season and can barley pass for 50%, while leaching an unreal amount of cap money.

Lil Jimmy handcuffed himself to one loser but overpriced player known as Jason Webster.  Example number one that you will support anyone over the evil empire known loosely as the "man" er I mean the "Front Office".

uup115 (6/17/2008)

Or how about he lost his job because he handcuffed HIMSELF to losers: Donatell and Knapp were his DC and OC respectively, Knapp forced the West Coast offense on Vick which didn't work at all with the Alex Gibbs run0blocking undersized OL -- no pass blocking, no time to pass, which led to incompletions, etc.

You can't win the Vick arguement when for all we know he could have thrown 65+% with Petrino's system, especially when we had Matt Schaub as a backup.

Mora was too clingy to players and coaches, and when it came down to it, he was too patient with rookies and would rather play underachieveing veterans than untapped rookies.

Lil Jimmy handcuffed himself to one loser but overpriced player known as Jason Webster.  Example number one that you will support anyone over the evil empire known loosely as the "man" er I mean the "Front Office".

"the man"? was Taylor Smith "the man"?...just for the record i always thought Williams was a Mora pick...he got fired because he could not get the "franchise player" to stop quitting in games...and we all know who sold tickets, and who got blamed for losses.

uup115 (6/17/2008)

"the man"? was Taylor Smith "the man"?...just for the record i always thought Williams was a Mora pick...he got fired because he could not get the "franchise player" to stop quitting in games...and we all know who sold tickets, and who got blamed for losses.

Having a conversation supported by actual facts is not really your forte? Got it.:cool:

Magic Man (6/18/2008)
Who knows who is getting Williams.  I just hope it's not the Patriots.  Something tells me there aren't many guys on that team who know where to get weed. 

I dunno, their starting right tackle didn't seem to have any trouble getting ahold of illegal drugs.

Williams did this to himself. And I would say that there's a chance that he'll sign with Seattle, but honestly, I don't see many teams lining up to give him a new contract.

Direwolf

When it comes to Jimmy Williams, he just flat out lacks the desire. He is uninspired and unprofessional and that lets me down as a fan exponentially more than a player making a stupid mistake.

Jimmy Williams showing up at camp at 232lbs is like me showing up at work with wrinkled pants, a dirty shirt and scuffed up shoes. I am a educated  professional that deals with educated professionals and appearance is important and a representation of my professionalism (or lack thereof), and if I show up to work like that it unprofessional just as Jimmy showing up at 230lbs is unprofessional.

Or how about he lost his job because he handcuffed HIMSELF to losers: Donatell and Knapp were his DC and OC respectively, Knapp forced the West Coast offense on Vick which didn't work at all with the Alex Gibbs run0blocking undersized OL -- no pass blocking, no time to pass, which led to incompletions, etc.

You can't win the Vick arguement when for all we know he could have thrown 65+% with Petrino's system, especially when we had Matt Schaub as a backup.

Uhmmmm.... but we now know Vick wasn't actually putting in the same amount of work as other starting NFL QB's.  He was the last one in and first one out. 

Did you ever think maybe our lack of offensive success had something to do with Vick's lack of work ethic and his other hobby?  Vick would throw the ball in places that didn't make sense at times.  NOBODY would be anywhere near the ball.

Vick would have never put in the amount of work to be a 60% passer in Petrino's system.  He would have been back in Va watching the fights.

direwolf (6/18/2008)
I don't see many teams lining up to give him a new contract.

Direwolf

I'm sure the Falcons tried to trade him before cutting  him. Even a conditional 7th round pick is better than cutting him and getting nothing.

Some team may take a flyer on him, but he'll have to immediatly produce or be out of there.

uup115 (6/17/2008)

Nah...he lost his job because:

1.  Too Friendly with the Players

2.  Play calling too predictable

3.  For a Defensive Coach, his Defense was too dang soft

3.  His "Dream Job" was to coach at the University of Washington

Is this really a huge surprise? Granted. In his favor, I would agree that it appeared that the coaches did not know how or where to play him. We drafted him @ corner, then the very next year we move him to safety & draft Houston. That threw up a red flag for his job security then.

Fan Z (6/17/2008)
special c (6/17/2008)
Jim Mora isn't going anywhere near Jimmy Williams. There was a reason he was starting Allen Rossum at CB over him.

I'm not really defending Jimmy Williams, but he was hurt with ankle problems when Webster went down, and Mora never really liked playing rookies over veterans... it took a long time for Hall to get on the field after his injury rookie year, Jenkins pretty much only played special teams during his 7 catch rookie season because Mora wanted to "develop" him, Roddy White rode the bench for more than half his rookie season until Mora woke up and realized the Dez White was junk... Mora liked to keep rookies in a developmental status until they were absolutely needed to play the full load, take Boley, Chauncey Davis, and Jonathon Babineaux for example.

In this case, Mora had the option of playing a rookie who was hurt or a "seasoned" veteran. He went with the vet. One more reason he eventually lost his job.

It's easy to slam Williams since he hasn't exactly performed for us but sometimes getting cut by the team that drafted them is what young players need to motivate them.

yeah, screw those VT players, theyve never done anything for the falcons anyhow.

Jedi-Falcon (6/18/2008)
Jimmy Williams smokes too much weed. Weed inspires laziness, eating, weight-gain, lack of mental ability. J. Williams had all of these symptoms. He also came from Va. Tech, so go figure :cool: