Michael Jenkins is not as bad as many fans make him out to be.

halsey

Ok, it's time for a perception vs reality session, folks, because they are 2 different things when it comes to many fan's view of Jenkins. I'm not saying he's a star, but he also isn't as bad as many make him out to be.

Perception: Jenkins is a bust! A first round pick should be a star!

Reality: 7 WR's were drafted int he 2004 draft: Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins and Rashaun Woods. 3 of them have been bonafied stars, 3 of them, including Jenkins have been role players and Woods is out of the league. Jenkins stats actually compare quite well with Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton. It's not true at all that every player picked in the first round is expected to be a star or that they're a bust if they're not.

Perception: Jenkins doesn't do anything to help the team. He's a waste of a roster spot!

Reality: In 4 seasons Jenkins has 135 receptions, 14 TD's and has been a model citizen on and off the field.

Perception: Roddy White emerged last season and he's been in the league one less year! If White has emerged by now then so should have Jenkins!

Reality: Jenkins is younger than Roddy and was considered less polished than Roddy coming out of college. If you don't think a WR can emerge after having modest production for the first four years of his NFL career, look up Joe Horn's stats sometime. Jenkins numbers in his first 4 years are MUCH better than Horn's first 4.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally agree.I hate how everyone says we should get rid of him. He is a solid player who will reap the benefits of a soft throwing qb like ryan or redman. W/e u say I would like to see any of u doubters go out there and try to catch one of Vicks 100 mph balls. thats just too hard to grip.

chris skidmroe (6/17/2008)
i totally agree.I hate how everyone says we should get rid of him. He is a solid player who will reap the benefits of a soft throwing qb like ryan or redman. W/e u say I would like to see any of u doubters go out there and try to catch one of Vicks 100 mph balls. thats just too hard to grip.

So whats his excuse for still being inconsistent while Joey Harrington was the qb?

Your hilarious!

o yeah, and his tipped passes from Joey were 100 mph?

Jenkins is a great role player, and he should stay with the team this year, but I feel that there's no desperate need to re-sign him once his contract is up. His services have been decent and he shows flashes of productivity but he's replaceable. That is one thing that a first round pick shouldn't be - replaceable. If I would have any problem with Jenkins, that would be it.

In what way was he inconsistent? Because of the pass in the Vikings game. That's one play in a season. He also caught 53 passes and scored 4 TD's. Yeah, he had some other drops, but it's a myth that NFL WR's never drop passes. The whole "if it touches your hands blah blah blah" saying is easy for fans to say from thier comfy seat.

Fan Z (6/17/2008)
Jenkins is a great role player, and he should stay with the team this year, but I feel that there's no desperate need to re-sign him once his contract is up. His services have been decent and he shows flashes of productivity but he's replaceable. That is one thing that a first round pick shouldn't be - replaceable. If I would have any problem with Jenkins, that would be it.

It's easy to say that a first round pick shouldn't be replaceable, but the reality is most are. You name me 1 first rounder who isn't replaceable and i'll name you 5 who are.

I have nothing at all against Jenkins. His numbers aren't spectacular, but they are far from terrible either.

Not every 1st round pick is a hall of famer, and not every 7th rounder is a role player. So he isn't going to be enshrined into canton. Oh well. He isn't a bad player. And he does still have some upside.

halsey (6/17/2008)

In what way was he inconsistent? Because of the pass in the Vikings game. That's one play in a season. He also caught 53 passes and scored 4 TD's. Yeah, he had some other drops, but it's a myth that NFL WR's never drop passes. The whole "if it touches your hands blah blah blah" saying is easy for fans to say from thier comfy seat.

It doesn't take rocket science to see the man has been inconsistent his whole career. It doesn't take rocket science to see the man was inconsistent last year. There would be games where he showed glimpse of being a solid number 2 receiver and then their would be games where you wouldn't hear a peep out of him. With all that said that doesn't mean he can't turn it around this year which I hope he will.

halsey (6/17/2008)

It's easy to say that a first round pick shouldn't be replaceable, but the reality is most are. You name me 1 first rounder who isn't replaceable and i'll name you 5 who are.

And the 5 that are often don't get re-signed by the teams that drafted them. Any first round pick that can be replaced is disappointing, first round picks are highly invested in, and when they walk because they haven't become stars, then yeah, that's disappointing. Do I hate Jenkins? Not at all! Do I hope he has a blast of a TC and produces this year? Most definately! Do I think he's a bust? **** no! But at this point, if Laurent Robinson or Harry Douglas can do what Jenkins would do or better, then I'm fine with letting Jenkins test the Free Agent market, and that disappoints me.

stoned_jc7 (6/17/2008)

I have nothing at all against Jenkins. His numbers aren't spectacular, but they are far from terrible either.

Not every 1st round pick is a hall of famer, and not every 7th rounder is a role player. So he isn't going to be enshrined into canton. Oh well. He isn't a bad player. And he does still have some upside.

How Jenkins looks from game to game isn't all under his control, necessarily. The coaching staff with a first time NFL HC, first time OC and 3 different starting QB's can contribute as well.

Jenkins has been misused. He should be catching the deep

ball for us. I understand that is a relative term. What I am

talking about is taking advantage of his length. Billy Knight would

say wingspan. He is 5 or 6 inches taller than most db's he will

face. We have had him catching button hooks. He was standing

dead still waiting for the ball on both those tipped balls that

became pick 6's. We don't want him doing that anymore so I

say send him deep and throw it up to him like you would Randy

Moss or Plaxico Burress. He has been playing short because we

have used him like a short man.

halsey (6/17/2008)

How Jenkins looks from game to game isn't all under his control, necessarily. The coaching staff with a first time NFL HC, first time OC and 3 different starting QB's can contribute as well.

Good Point, I can't say that I disagree with that. The whole offense was inconsistent from half to half and game to game and a lot of that falls on coaching. There was a lot of games where Roddy had a great 1st half and was quiet in the 2nd half which again falls back on coaching. I never said or thought that Jenkins was a bust just thought he was inconsistent which can have a lot of different things causing that which you pointed out.

To me, I see Jenkins as a very clumsy receiver who has benefited from the lack quality players at the position.  IMO, he is the smallest big receiver I've seen over an extended period of time.  His hands are very questionable when catching the ball away from his body.

Whether he was raw coming out of college or not - he'll be entering his 5th year in the NFL so he should have developed by now.

cyofish (6/17/2008)
Preception: Bust -

Reality - Drops on keys plays, momentum stopper, 3 tips to the opposing DB where 2 wereran back for TDs. Does not get seperation.Inconsistent!

Trying to be the smart man on campus, and made the dumbest comment ever. Doesn't get separation? He runs excellent routes. He has had a few bad plays. So what? Do you ever think that part of that is the QB. The only person that that tipped a bad, and gave up an INT badly was Warrick Dunn. On a pass where Vick actually had touch.