2003 - Atlanta Falcons

RdSel #PlayerPositionSchool
255Bryan Scott SSPenn State
4121Justin Griffith FBMississippi State
5159Jon Olinger --Cincinnati
6196LaTarence Dunbar WRTexas Christian
6202Waine Bacon DBAlabama
7238Demetrin Veal DETennessee

These drafts are just downright POOR!!!!!!

No one from the 2003 draft is still with the team... Only M. Jenkins from the 2004 draft is still with the team... Noted - (D. Hall started, 2 PB appearances, traded for 2nd Rd. DP)... 5/8 remain from 2005 and two are starters... and 3/5 remain from 2006--none are starters...

the Bryan Scott/Justin Griffith draft was not McKay's - it was Dan Reeves. Yeah, I'm glad McKay is not pullin' the strings anymore but you cannot pin that stinker draft on McKay.

Problem is, Rich McKay is still in charge of the "contracts". Now, McKay IS responsible for Michael Vick's ridiculous contract - also gave Matt Ryan(who I now Like) that 10% over market contract and richest rookie contract ever deal.............

Arthur, please don't let McKay "touch the money" - you can wreck a franchise by overpaying almost as much as you can by making bad picks - well not quite, but you can do some damage.

In the 2004 draft, we got a Pro Bowl CB that we parlayed into what we anticipate to be a starting LT, a starting QB that we parlayed into the points equivalent of a 1st and 3rd round picks, and a LB that played significant time over a 4 year period as well as a WR that has started several games since drafted and is said by Steve Wyche to be a great fit in this scheme.

It is misleading to suggest all we got in the 2004 draft was Michael Jenkins.

g-dawg (6/17/2008)
the Bryan Scott/Justin Griffith draft was not McKay's - it was Dan Reeves. Yeah, I'm glad McKay is not pullin' the strings anymore but you cannot pin that stinker draft on McKay.

Problem is, Rich McKay is still in charge of the "contracts". Now, McKay IS responsible for Michael Vick's ridiculous contract - also gave Matt Ryan(who I now Like) that 10% over market contract and richest rookie contract ever deal.............

Arthur, please don't let McKay "touch the money" - you can wreck a franchise by overpaying almost as much asyou can by making bad picks - well not quite, but you can do some damage.

He killed Tampa before he left

Those drafts don't look that awful to me. Roddy has emerged. Hall despite his attitude was a good corner, Boley was a steal. Robinson may turn out to be a steal. Norwood is a weapon. You don't hit on every pick. Look at other teams' drafts and I bet you can make a similar comparison. I'm not a huge fan of McKay but he's the scapegoat around here.

Our recent past problems have been coaching, coaching and our QB was running an illegal operation from a house he owned. You can't place all of that on McKay.

This is why we are the way we are, and it's not all totally McKay's fault but he shouldnt be excused from the blame either. McKay has been here what since 2003 or 2004?  So not counting the 2007 draft how many core players do we have that you can definitely say panned out?? Norwood, Boley, White? And it's a stretch to even add White to that list because we dont even know if he's going to build off his 07 performace or go back to the Roddy White of old. I do believe in player accountibility but why McKay get's a free pass in this is confusing. Hopefully Dimitroff can do it the right way.

FalconMama (6/17/2008)
This is why we are the way we are, and it's not all totally McKay's fault but he shouldnt be excused from the blame either. McKay has been here what since 2003 or 2004?  So not counting the 2007 draft how many core players do we have that you can definitely say panned out?? Norwood, Boley, White? And it's a stretch to even add White to that list because we dont even know if he's going to build off his 07 performace or go back to the Roddy White of old. I do believe in player accountibility but why McKay get's a free pass in this is confusing. Hopefully Dimitroff can do it the right way.

i thought mckay was supposed to be superior to what  reeves did

The draft has been a bit of a mixed bag for McKay. He did a decent job of identifying talent in the draft, drafting some some very good players in 2004 and 2005 (its just a shame that we let Hall, Williams and Schaub all leave to spend the prime of their careers on other teams). On the flip side, he had an awful draft in 2006. It is too early to judge 2007 yet, but at the moment it looks promising. 

Where McKay went wrong in the draft is:-

1. We ignored the offensive, line and safety positions for too long. Spending 3 consecutive 1st rounders on the WR position at the expense of bigger needs was a huge mistake (although trading for Peerless Price wasn't a McKay move). Alex Gibbs didn't want us to select OL early and felt that we could get his type of linemen late, but this strategy and his cut blocking scheme left us with an OL that wasn't built to pass block 25+ times per game.

2. He was wasted a few too many picks trading for veterans and trading up to take guys like Mike Jenkins and Jimmy Williams that haven't justified their selections. We needed - and should have kept - those picks.

Our current problems are the product of bad decisions and going back at least 6 or 7 years to the Dan Reeves regime. The 6th/7th/8th year pros that you'd expect to be the nucleus of this team simply aren't here, because the last few Reeves drafts were so poor. The franchise was in a huge mess when McKay came here because of terrible cap management and poor drafting by the Reeves regime. McKay did an average job at best, on a team that already had no room for mistakes and needed a miracle that he couldn't deliver.

consistentfalcon (6/17/2008)
FalconMama (6/17/2008)

i thought mckay was supposed to be superior to what  reeves did

Another great post consistent. This is why Atlanta is known as the worst sports town in America, because of dumb flip floppin posters, Rich was supposed to be better than Dan which i think he still is. When he doesnt draft seven pro bowlers every year then he sucks, and "Dan Reeves was better anyway".  Then Mora gets fired,and BP gets hired with a history of ditching then its, "Petrino is gonna be better than Mora, he knows how to throw, he was good in JAX" Then Petrino is on ESPN and he's a traitor, he's this he's that.Then MV. MV gets himself in trouble, "MV sucks, cut him. Harrington is gonna be better because he's a pocket QB and he interviews well". Then when that blows up in their face then "its MVs fault that this team went 4-12" now they wanna jockride TD who just had his FIRST. DRAFT!!!!!  

ukfalc (6/17/2008)
The draft has been a bit of a mixed bag for McKay. He did a decent job of identifying talent in the draft, drafting some some very good players in 2004 and 2005 (its just a shame that we let Hall, Williams and Schaub all leave to spend the prime of their careers on other teams). On the flip side, he had an awful draft in 2006. It is too early to judge 2007 yet, but at the moment it looks promising. 

Where McKay went wrong in the draft is:-

1. We ignored the offensive, line and safety positions for too long. Spending 3 consecutive 1st rounders on the WR position at the expense of bigger needs was a huge mistake (although trading for Peerless Price wasn't a McKay move). Alex Gibbs didn't want us to select OL early and felt that we could get his type of linemen late, but this strategy and his cut blocking scheme left us with an OL that wasn't built to pass block 25+ times per game.

2. He was wasted a few too many picks trading for veterans and trading up to take guys like Mike Jenkins and Jimmy Williams that haven't justified their selections. We needed - and should have kept - those picks.

Our current problems are the product of bad decisions and going back at least 6 or 7 years to the Dan Reeves regime. The 6th/7th/8th year pros that you'd expect to be the nucleus of this team simply aren't here, because the last few Reeves drafts were so poor. The franchise was in a huge mess when McKay came here because of terrible cap management and poor drafting by the Reeves regime. McKay did an average job at best, on a team that already had no room for mistakes and needed a miracle that he couldn't deliver.

brookings still with the team, vicks in jail kerney moved on, duckett still questionable, booker i guess a bust , so how is it the ones that moved on are reeves fault. seems they did well enough in 2004 to get a 11-5 record, or do we give all that credit to mora and mckay

MrPickles (6/17/2008)
He still has his stinking hands all over this franchise. If we really want to turn it around get rid of Mckay
Relax, Pickles. As usual, you're misguided. He's the PResident now, he has no input on football decisions. He's working on the new stadium, and frankly, that's where he's best suited IMO. The business side of things.

g-dawg (6/17/2008)

Arthur, please don't let McKay "touch the money" - you can wreck a franchise by overpaying almost as much as you can by making bad picks - well not quite, but you can do some damage.

Um, McKay wasn't here when Vick got his contract.

And he also payed market value for Ryan.

g-dawg (6/17/2008)

Ok, on that one-- I stand corrected. I wasn't completely sure if he came in 2003 or 2004, but I thought he was here a year before Jimmy.  But I'll take your word for it...

When you lay it all out like this, it really raises my ire! We have got nothing to show for all of McKays lofty accolades. I dont have the link handy but an article out of Tampa bosted how he had a great talent scout when he arrived in T.B. and once that scout left so did T.B.'s draft fortunes.

I was also really disappointed when he was relieved of his G.M. role and got a contract extension like a week later for his team president title! WTF? I just want him out of Atl.! But he is so well connected with the ties to the compition commitee Blank will keep his sorry ars around! :angry:

gazoo (6/17/2008)
In the 2004 draft, we got a Pro Bowl CB that we parlayed into what we anticipate to be a starting LT, a starting QB that we parlayed into the points equivalent of a 1st and 3rd round picks, and a LB that played significant time over a 4 year period as well as a WR that has started several games since drafted and is said by Steve Wyche to be a great fit in this scheme.

It is misleading to suggest all we got in the 2004 draft was Michael Jenkins.

I neglected to mention the Schaub trade, but I did acknowledge D. Hall's accomplishments while here, as well as the compensation we got for him. D. Williams did not garnish an honourable mention for me, b/c yes, I guess all things considered, he got significant time; but he was never a consistent starter and was benched in favor of S. Nicholas last season until Nicholas' injury.

Not to mention, there wasn't much of an effort to bring him back.

As far as Jenkins, he's fourth on the depth chart...behind a rookie...By putting his name in bold, I acknowledged that Jenkins was still with the team by placing his name in bold...but that's as far as it goes until he does something more than be wideout who turns dropped passes into pick-6s for the opposition...

Just My Thoughts

formul8or (6/17/2008)
That 2006 draft looked better back then than the 2008 draft does to me now. We will have to see how these players pan out to see if TD is better than McKay at drafting, because right now we have no proof.

And I can agree with that. I was more excited about the 2006 draft b/c of name value and the prospect of speed.

But given McKay's track record and TD's pedigree, I'm already willing to concede 2008 a better draft based off of Curtis Lofton, Sam Baker and Chevis Jackson alone.

Of course though, just as with Rich, we may not have a true evaluation til three yrs from now.