Jamaal Anderson playing DT for good

atljbo

One of my homeboys sent me this

Steve Wyche reported that Jamal may be moving to DT. And it will probably be his long term position. If he does, who'll start at LE? Moorhead, Chauncey, Bierman, Brandon Miller, or do we sign another DE? And who's going to get reduced playing time at DT? Trey Lewis or Babs? Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

atljbo (6/17/2008)
One of my homeboys sent me this
Steve Wyche reported that Jamal may be moving to DT. And it will probably be his long term position. If he does, who'll start at LE? Moorhead, Chauncey, Bierman, Brandon Miller, or do we sign another DE? And who's going to get reduced playing time at DT? Trey Lewis or Babs? Thoughts?

I WANT Bierman!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, that has to be a misprint or misunderstanding or something.  Anderson could only be put in as a DT on passing downs only.  He's supposedly losing weight which would help him better at the DE position and not the DT position.

I'm guessing its just because of his height and the long arms to block the passing lanes somewhat.

Well... if this happens do we now have a need at DE?

Nice....  I guess that means a few more development years for Jamaal.... since he was the #8 pick he's quickly headed to "Bust-ville."

A top 10 pick should be an immediate impact player at one position....

Wait, if they're already moving him to DT does that mean the coaching staff thinks he's not going to be a quality DE?

GEORGIAfan (6/17/2008)
he lost weight. if he was still at 282, and gained a 20LBs id believe it, but not that he is at 270. we will use him like john tuck.

That worked against a pass happy team..... and Tuck had Strahan and Osi drawing attention...

What happens when we play a running team?  If Anderson is still learning to play DT and we play a team like that he's going to get killed.

DT and DE is a bigger switch than most people realize...

You know it's funny, I said we would move JA inside on certain downs a few months ago. I also compared what we are trying to do their with what the Giants have to offer on D. Not trying to say we are like the Giants but simply trying a scheme of theirs. I said he would be used like Justin Tuck. A lot of people didn't agree with me and in so many words, insinuated I was stupid for thinking that. Go figure, funny how stuff works out some times. Got to love this board.

I would like to see EXACTLY what Steve Wyche said.....QUOTATION, as opposed to second and thrid hand accounts of what he said.

My instincts tell me the thread title is misleading to wrecklessly irresponsible.

Do I believe there is an element of truth to the title? Yes.....I heard that Steve said Anderson could be used like Justin Tuck. Justin Tuck is not a DT, he is still a DE that moves inside on passing downs in some situations.

Do I believe the title of this thread "Jamaal Anderson playing DT for Good". No, I think that is a misrepresentation of what was said.

sivik_outkast (6/17/2008)
You know it's funny, I said we would move JA inside on certain downs a few months ago. I also compared what we are trying to do their with what the Giants have to offer on D. Not trying to say we are like the Giants but simply trying a scheme of theirs. I said he would be used like Justin Tuck. A lot of people didn't agree with me and in so many words, insinuated I was stupid for thinking that. Go figure, funny how stuff works out some times. Got to love this board.
We run an entirely different scheme then the Giants.

Anderson is not a DT IMO.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/17/2008)
Well... if this happens do we now have a need at DE?

Nice....  I guess that means a few more development years for Jamaal.... since he was the #8 pick he's quickly headed to "Bust-ville."

A top 10 pick should be an immediate impact player at one position....

Wait, if they're already moving him to DT does that mean the coaching staff thinks he's not going to be a quality DE?

IF this is true maybe its not that jamaal can't play DE, but we have someone else who can play DE real well. Maybe they think jamaal can play well at DT, he did play good against the run last year. As far as him being a top 10 pick last year, they new he was going to be a work in progress. So don't say he is headed to bust-ville just yet nobody knows except for the coaching staff what is going to happen.

SteelerDawg6481 (6/17/2008)

You aren't getting what I'm saying here, the Giants have a guy they move inside at DT (Justin Tuck) who is not a DT.  They rotate a DE inside on certain downs to try and gain an advantage.  Jamaal is definitely not a DT that could go every down.  However, he can be useful in my opinion and tie up some extra guys on the inside which will allow whoever they bring in (IMO Biermann) on that down to try and get to the QB.  That rotation is similar to that of the Giants.  I don't mean their entire defensive scheme.  I think moving JA inside on a few plays here and there gives us more options on the outside for rushing.  This is a good move in my opinion, but not for the entire season.  Only on certain plays would this be worth anything.

SteelerDawg6481 (6/17/2008)

Okay, let me explain this differently for you.  I'm not saying we are using the entire Giants Defensive scheme.  What I'm saying is that the Giants on certain downs move a DE (Justin Tuck) inside at DT to free up the outside a little bit for a pass rush.  We are and should use Jamaal at this position on some passing and all 3rd downs.  Moving him inside should free up the outside for I think it should be Biermann in this case.  Moving JA to the inside permanently is foolish, however we can use him like the Giants use Justin Tuck.  What can it hurt really, we won't be missing that much at DE and if he improves at DE this year, then that only allows us to free up the outside even more by moving him inside on certain downs.