Hey Sac. Any updates from the UGA camp?

Jyounk

Updates so far from Dawgpost:

10:15 AM Update:

Guys are going through their 40-yard dash runs right now. As usual the carpet they run on at Georgia, and the timers, are not allowing for blazing fast numbers. The fastest time we have heard thus far is a 4.59, which, by standard camp numbers is not that fast on the .com circuit, but at Georgia, where we think the times are a little more realistic its about normal.

Its interesting to see the Georgia commits get going out here. Guys like Mettenberger, Vasser and Murray run 40s. I mean I can t remember a time when we saw guys with their scholarships in tact no matter what run 40s. Mettenberger was jokingly given a 4.5. One thing we thought was interesting that when leaving to writing this quick blurb we saw Vasser working on his 40-yard stance. He s going to run one more time, but then again, what does it matter what his time is? It matters to him that much is for sure.

Our guess is that there are at least 150 kids at the camp. The kids from Bynes are hard to ignore just because of their bodies. It s hard not to notice Orson Charles, too.

12:12 UPDATE:

Campers are breaking for lunch right now. The offense did mat drills before heading off to lunch. In the passing drills it s hard not to notice the way Murray delivers the ball every time. He s totally ready to go right now. Aaron is more polished right now than most normal freshmen in college. He delivers the ball to the spot it needs to be at all of the time. Mettenberger is still more raw than Murray. He s developed over the last year and that arm is very, very, strong. We have will images of both the quarterbacks after camp ends.

PLAYERS WHO DID NOT MAKE IT

We have not seen the following players (we thought would be here):

Austin Long is here, but is not working out

Abry Jone is not here

Washaun Ealy is not here

Mike Gilliard is not here

Deon Roberson is not here

Jeff Whitaker is not here

SURPRISE CAMPER

Byrnes running back and overall highly-touted running back Marcus Lattimore is here, which is a bit of a surprise. Folks thought he was gone to either South Carolina or Clemson I guess that s not the case

mr pickle (6/14/2008)
JGator, do you mean that there won't be commitments specifically at the camp and the next week or so, or that not many of out targets there look to be choosing UGA at all?

Cause I def. agree with the first one...the second confuses me.

Well this camp was more about the 2010/2011 class kids than 2009..  None of the 2009 kids who showed up without offers got offers.  The reason are obvious with lott (who is freaking amazing, if only he had the grades) and bowman.  Christophe really stood out, but they don't like him enough right now to offer.  So this camp was really to set uga up for next year and beyond and it did.  UGA had TERRIFIC showing at this camp for the 2010/11 kids.  A number of kids left with offers.  Since these kids are 2010 don't expect any commits at all yet.  One rumor is however UGA recent a silent commit yesterday, but nothing public yet. 

Are the rules different in football and basketball with regards to offering players at these camps? I know that the NCAA prohibits teams offering players that show up at the Elite type camps while the camp is going on...

WTA (6/15/2008)
Are the rules different in football and basketball with regards to offering players at these camps? I know that the NCAA prohibits teams offering players that show up at the Elite type camps while the camp is going on...

Yes they can be offered.. these are camps held by the teams in particular hosting the camp for the purpose of seeing players and then offering or not.

Guys sorry I was gone all day after I made my comment. Sac covered some of what I was talking about and the other is that UGA has reached a point with current commits and # of schollys available that their is probably only a handful of kids that could just call up today and the coaches actually take their commitment. UGA is recruiting very well on more of a national stage this year. Add that to what looks like a very promising season and you have a recipe for success. The problem you run into at this point is who do you take? Obviously if a Marlon Brown called tomorrow and want to be a Bulldog the coaches would welcome him with open arms. The same cant be said for alot of others.

Belive me no one loves the thrill of a new commit more than me but there comes a point where you want the staff to become picky. UGA is at that point.

UGA_DAWG46 (6/15/2008)
I'm pretty surprise we haven't gotten any commitment yet. Hoping some commitment will come in the next few weeks.

why are you surprised?  we have limited scholarships and pretty much all of the offers for 2009 that have went out are already out (lott would be a new one and IMO one that we all expected).  The other guys they offered are all national guys so they are doing their unofficial visits this summer and there are a handful that will decide in july/august and until then there isn't really any kid deciding that is on uga's radar.  In addition a bunch of their offers are NSD decisions or January 2009 decisioins.  Just relax and wait, it's going to be worth the wait IMO. :D

yea you're right. Im still in the conerlius washington things. committing at camp. Who did we offer for 2010?

SacFalcFan (6/15/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (6/15/2008)
I'm pretty surprise we haven't gotten any commitment yet. Hoping some commitment will come in the next few weeks.

why are you surprised?  we have limited scholarships and pretty much all of the offers for 2009 that have went out are already out (lott would be a new one and IMO one that we all expected).  The other guys they offered are all national guys so they are doing their unofficial visits this summer and there are a handful that will decide in july/august and until then there isn't really any kid deciding that is on uga's radar.  In addition a bunch of their offers are NSD decisions or January 2009 decisioins.  Just relax and wait, it's going to be worth the wait IMO. :D

UGA_DAWG46 (6/15/2008)
please tell what you heard.

he has a conditional offer, but he has an offer.. derrick lott is a big uga fan and a few guys who know him (and went over to his barbeque today) said that he is ugas.  this was the offer he wanted.  he has to take his test..

SacFalcFan (6/15/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (6/15/2008)
please tell what you heard.

he has a conditional offer, but he has an offer.. derrick lott is a big uga fan and a few guys who know him (and went over to his barbeque today) said that he is ugas.  this was the offer he wanted.  he has to take his test..

the next sat or act test is in october.