A look back at Falcons personel moves

jes2400

I was watching NFL Network and they were showing the top 10 coaching flops-coaches who should have stayed in college.Number 1 of course was Bobby Petrino.So I looked back at some of the Falcons other moves.So here,s my top 5 best and worst personel moves by the Falcons......Best:5.moving up to draft Vick(at the time that was a guttsy move from a team not known for guttsy moves)4.getting Bartkowsky 3.drafting Deion Sanders 2.stealing Morten Anderson from the hated Saints 1.hiring Dan Reeves as coach.......worst:5.drafting Andre Bruce 4.Ken Herock as VP of player personel 3.letting Deion Sanders get away 2.firing Dan Reeves 1.Bobby Petrino......That's it.I only did a top 5 because of time and my Falcon memory doesn't go beyond the early 80's.Feel free to have fun and ad,critique,sutract,or reorder the list  (I won't be on the board tomorrow so -- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MESSAGE BOARD DADS!!:))

jes2400 (6/14/2008)
I was watching NFL Network and they were showing the top 10 coaching flops-coaches who should have stayed in college.Number 1 of course was Bobby Petrino.So I looked back at some of the Falcons other moves.So here,s my top 5 best and worst personel moves by the Falcons......Best:5.moving up to draft Vick(at the time that was a guttsy move from a team not known for guttsy moves)4.getting Bartkowsky 3.drafting Deion Sanders 2.stealing Morten Anderson from the hated Saints 1.hiring Dan Reeves as coach.......worst:5.drafting Andre Bruce 4.Ken Herock as VP of player personel 3.letting Deion Sanders get away 2.firing Dan Reeves 1.Bobby Petrino......That's it.I only did a top 5 because of time and my Falcon memory doesn't go beyond the early 80's.Feel free to have fun and ad,critique,sutract,or reorder the list  (I won't be on the board tomorrow so -- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MESSAGE BOARD DADS!!:))

I would Take deion out of your worst, and insert either Hartwell, or Peerless Price.

2 winning seasons out of 7 and Firing Dan Reeves was one of the worst moves? - 1 great year and 1 lucky year is what we got out of him --- he was lucky to have been here 7 -- I mean how do you take a 14-2 Super Bowl team and go 4-12 & 5-11 the next 2 years - he should have been gone after his 5th year (which was 7-9 - 3 straight losing seasons after having a 14-2 Super Bowl team)

Drafting Vick could easily go into BOTH categories depending on how you look at it.  Other 'bad moves' worth consideration: Letting Brett Favre get away?  Not getting Chris Miller the protection he needed after 91 season?  Letting Patrick Kerney get away? 

'Good Moves' worth consideration:  Hiring a bartender for a kicker (Tim Mazzetti).  Drafting Tommy Nobis as the franchise's first player.  Drafting of a third round QB (Schaub) and trading him for two second round picks. 

falconfansince66 (6/14/2008)
Drafting Vick could easily go into BOTH categories depending on how you look at it. Other 'bad moves' worth consideration: Letting Brett Favre get away? Not getting Chris Miller the protection he needed after 91 season? Letting Patrick Kerney get away?

'Good Moves' worth consideration: Hiring a bartender for a kicker (Tim Mazzetti). Drafting Tommy Nobis as the franchise's first player. Drafting of a third round QB (Schaub)and trading him for two second round picks.

Letting Favre get away was probably one of the best moves for the entire NFL. Favre has said numerous times all he wanted to do in ATL was party, and that he would have ended up a junky. Better we let him go to GB.

falconfansince66 (6/14/2008)Letting Patrick Kerney get away?

I still think giving a 30 year old (at the time) player coming off a pectoral injury a 6 year $40 million contract is too much. He wanted out, and I'm sure Blank would have coughed up a nice salary. You can't help it when someone is just after some money. Who by the way cried when he was scrubbed out when we played him last year. Our 4th string OT's against a Pro Bowl DE with no sacks? Ouch,

And I feel like Vick should be on both lists. Good move/bad move.

Farmer (6/14/2008)
Drafting Vick could easily go into BOTH categories depending on how you look at it. Other 'bad moves' worth consideration: Letting Brett Favre get away? Not getting Chris Miller the protection he needed after 91 season? Letting Patrick Kerney get away?

'Good Moves' worth consideration: Hiring a bartender for a kicker (Tim Mazzetti). Drafting Tommy Nobis as the franchise's first player. Drafting of a third round QB (Schaub)and trading him for two second round picks.

Letting Favre get away was probably one of the best moves for the entire NFL. Favre has said numerous times all he wanted to do in ATL was party, and that he would have ended up a junky. Better we let him go to GB.

It is true that it was a great move as it turned out.  But that also goes to show you that our organization at the time failed to address/handle his situation properly as was done in Green Bay.  Of course with the OL we had here, Favre probably would have gotten beat really bad as was the case with Chris Miller.  Jerry Glanville was an awesome defensive coach but was lousy as a head coach and his decisions reflected it.

sporkdevil (6/14/2008)
falconfansince66 (6/14/2008)Letting Patrick Kerney get away?

I still think giving a 30 year old (at the time) player coming off a pectoral injury a 6 year $40 million contract is too much. He wanted out, and I'm sure Blank would have coughed up a nice salary. You can't help it when someone is just after some money. Who by the way cried when he was scrubbed out when we played him last year. Our 4th string OT's against a Pro Bowl DE with no sacks? Ouch,

And I feel like Vick should be on both lists. Good move/bad move.

Yeah good points, it was funny how he got owned by Clabo.  But still, look at how much we had to give up for Jamaal Anderson to replace him.  With Kerney and Abe, we had a ferocious pass rush that nobody wanted to deal with.

Yeah good points, it was funny how he got owned by Clabo. But still, look at how much we had to give up for Jamaal Anderson to replace him. With Kerney and Abe, we had a ferocious pass rush that nobody wanted to deal with.

I think we did give up too much for Jamaal, and obviously he wouldn't perform as well as Kerney could have. But Anderson will get better, and looking at it last year, do you pick up a top rated defensive end or one that is over the hill, coming off a bad injury, who wants $40 million dollars. I agree that would have been a great duo for a few years, but Kerney would have turned expensive and ineffective, then a few years later Abraham will as well. We weren't close to Superbowl quality, so there was no need for 2 expensive guys who could get some sacks for the short future.

sporkdevil (6/15/2008)

Yeah good points, it was funny how he got owned by Clabo. But still, look at how much we had to give up for Jamaal Anderson to replace him. With Kerney and Abe, we had a ferocious pass rush that nobody wanted to deal with.

I think we did give up too much for Jamaal, and obviously he wouldn't perform as well as Kerney could have. But Anderson will get better, and looking at it last year, do you pick up a top rated defensive end or one that is over the hill, coming off a bad injury, who wants $40 million dollars. I agree that would have been a great duo for a few years, but Kerney would have turned expensive and ineffective, then a few years later Abraham will as well. We weren't close to Superbowl quality, so there was no need for 2 expensive guys who could get some sacks for the short future.

Let's hope that with improved coaching and improved techniques, Jamaal does warrant his pick over the next year or two.  I'm also looking forward to seeing what Bierman can do for us.  Abe will hopefully hold up and continue to contribute on a high level for us for several more seasons.

BruceReville (6/14/2008)
2 winning seasons out of 7 and Firing Dan Reeves was one of the worst moves? - 1 great year and 1 lucky year is what we got out of him --- he was lucky to have been here 7 -- I mean how do you take a 14-2 Super Bowl team and go 4-12 & 5-11 the next 2 years - he should have been gone after his 5th year (which was 7-9 - 3 straight losing seasons after having a 14-2 Super Bowl team)

how did mora take a 11-5 to 8-8 to 7-9? imo mora wrote his own exit speech. then how do you go and hire petrino with the history he has of leaving?

consistentfalcon (6/15/2008)
BruceReville (6/14/2008)

how did mora take a 11-5 to 8-8 to 7-9? imo mora wrote his own exit speech. then how do you go and hire petrino with the history he has of leaving?

I'm sure Razorback fans are asking that same question. :) Unless they are deaf, dumb, and blind.

tweak (6/15/2008)
BruceReville (6/14/2008)

I'm sure Razorback fans are asking that same question. :) Unless they are deaf, dumb, and blind.

like hemmiroid medicine, temporary relief

trubirdfan4life (6/14/2008)
how exactly do you have a lucky year?

1.  Matt Ryan isn't arrested for dog fighting.

2.  Boley body slams opposing players instead of wife.

3.  Rich McKay isn't GM.

4.  Quitrino isn't head coach.

I think, barring injuries, we're doing pretty good.

tweak (6/15/2008)

3.  Rich McKay isn't GM.

5. Houston/Jackson doesn't get busted with marijuana....:P

tweak (6/15/2008)

3.  Rich McKay isn't GM.

i thought the question about being lucky was the 1998 season the foulcons went to the superbowl, how do these 4 relate to that 

tweak (6/15/2008)

3.  Rich McKay isn't GM.

i thought the question about being lucky was the 1998 season the foulcons went to the superbowl, how do these 4 relate to that 

I was referring to the Falcons 'luck' in general.

tweak (6/15/2008)

3.  Rich McKay isn't GM.

Here's some for 1998:

No key injuries (exception - Bob Christian in the playoffs).

Sure footed Gary Anderson who didn't miss a FG all season, missing a FG by literally inches.

Getting nearly twice the amount of turnovers as you give up.

Drafting Vick could easily go into BOTH categories depending on how you look at it.  Other 'bad moves' worth consideration: Letting Brett Favre get away?  Not getting Chris Miller the protection he needed after 91 season?  Letting Patrick Kerney get away? 

'Good Moves' worth consideration:  Hiring a bartender for a kicker (Tim Mazzetti).  Drafting Tommy Nobis as the franchise's first player.  Drafting of a third round QB (Schaub) and trading him for two second round picks. 

These are some good observations, especially about Nobis.  I would add Keeping Jessie Tuggle as a free agent and giving him a shot.  Bad:  Letting Claude Humphey go to the Eagles.