Mgs4 bundle

Like I said in my other thread, friend was buying this bundle. he also bought superbad on bluray to watch first. We get to his house and first the metal gear case is cracked at the bottoms, which I guess is poor packaging but still. but we open it up and find out it doesn't come with an hdmi cable, which is 1 thing, but it doesn't even come with high def componet cables....just the regular 3 a/v ones....talk about nickel and diming ya...with that said, mgs4, opening is pretty long, but its still classic mgs...love the upgraded weapon system though. the m4 with the shotty is pretty deadly..

LOL. You immediately blame Sony? None of the packaging opened at my local GameStop was bad...

You didn't stop to think it may have the retailer from which the package was bought? The MGS4 packaging is actually weird because it's the first time they used TWO boxes.

HDMI/component cables cost 99 cents. Go to monoprice.com or Amazon.com. It's a shame Sony doesn't include an HD cable, but I'm not going to complain since I have no idea what the story is. I paid 4 dollars for a 15-ft HDMI cable. If it were much more expensive, I'd be mad.

Please don't talk about nickel and diming with PS3. The other console has the most amount of it yet you bring it up here.

You have a PS3 don't you QV? Pretty sure you should have known that they come with regular AV cables. You should also know that the average household doesn't have a HDTV so catering to the few of us with HDTVs when the vast majority of people don't is foolish.

If Sony made a switchable cable like M$ does for the 360 that'd be one thing...but they don't.

womfalcs3 (6/13/2008)
LOL. You immediately blame Sony? None of the packaging opened at my local GameStop was bad...

You didn't stop to think it may have the retailer from which the package was bought? The MGS4 packaging is actually weird because it's the first time they used TWO boxes.

HDMI/component cables cost 99 cents. Go to monoprice.com or Amazon.com. It's a shame Sony doesn't include an HD cable, but I'm not going to complain since I have no idea what the story is. I paid 4 dollars for a 15-ft HDMI cable. If it were much more expensive, I'd be mad.

Please don't talk about nickel and diming with PS3. The other console has the most amount of it yet you bring it up here.

4 bucks for a 15-ft hdmi cable?  huh?  that's crazy cheap.

$4 for an hdmi cable? i wouldn't buy it because its probably a bad one. i could go get a 6 footer at frys for about $13, but its not the cost, its the principle. sony advertises the crap out of the fact that it has blu-ray...whats the point if you can't get it right out of the box? at least the 360 has hd graphics right out out of the box. and no, I don't have a ps3, but If I could find a metal gear ps3 at a store...which i might be able to do tommorow, i would buy it.

QV_26 (6/13/2008)
$4 for an hdmi cable? i wouldn't buy it because its probably abad one. i could go get a 6 footer at frys for about $13, but its not the cost, its the principle. sony advertises the crap out of the fact that it has blu-ray...whats the point if you can't get it right out of the box? at least the 360 has hd graphics right out out of the box. and no, I don't have a ps3, but If I could find a metal gear ps3 at a store...which i might be able to do tommorow, iwould buy it.

When I was in college a lot of my friends had PS3s or 360s but only a couple had HDTVs. There's a big difference between being able to afford a console for 4-500 bucks and a HDTV for 1k-2k. I mean a real TV when I say HDTV too, not some 20 some inch thing that belongs on your desk connected to a PC. At that small size you aren't getting the full high def experience anyway.

Price doesn't matter on a HDMI cable. It's digital. It either works or it doesn't. There's no in between.

QV_26 (6/13/2008)
$4 for an hdmi cable? i wouldn't buy it because its probably abad one. i could go get a 6 footer at frys for about $13, but its not the cost, its the principle. sony advertises the crap out of the fact that it has blu-ray...whats the point if you can't get it right out of the box? at least the 360 has hd graphics right out out of the box. and no, I don't have a ps3, but If I could find a metal gear ps3 at a store...which i might be able to do tommorow, iwould buy it.

You mean kind of the same thing that Microsoft does with the 360?

Or like when you buy a printer and have to buy a USB cable to connect it to your computer?

This is common in today's market. I would be happy that Sony at least included the A/V cables.

btrain5489 (6/13/2008)
You have a PS3 don't you QV? Pretty sure you should have known that they come with regular AV cables. You should also know that the average household doesn't have a HDTV so catering to the few of us with HDTVs when the vast majority of people don't is foolish.

If Sony made a switchable cable like M$ does for the 360 that'd be one thing...but they don't.

would you think it's fair to say that the vast majority of ps3 owners had a ps2?

womfalcs3 (6/13/2008)

the fact that they are 1 dollar is all the more reason for sony to include one. maybe it has something to do with sony thinking hdmi cables are 79.99

joremari (6/14/2008)
womfalcs3 (6/13/2008)

the fact that they are 1 dollar is all the more reason for sony to include one. maybe it has something to do with sony thinking hdmi cables are 79.99

1) Yes it's fair to say most PS3 owners probably had a PS2 as well.

2) Sony HDMI cables are not one dollar. Off brand random cables that you can buy online are. If Sony were to package a HDMI cable with the PS3 you can bet they'd use something they made, not some random cable from some 3rd party manufacturer. I have a pair of Sony HDMI cables for my PS3 and 360 and since the connectors are gold plated I'm going to assume they cost Sony a bit more than a dollar to make and no one sells their product at cost anyway. They were about 30 bucks a piece at Target.

3) No one has explained why Sony should spend money packaging HDMI cables with the PS3 when most people don't have HDTVs.

The correct move, if buying a HDMI cable while you're in the store to get your PS3 is SO much of a hassle, would be to include a switchable cable like the 360 does. You lose out on digital quality but you get the higher resolutions...depending on your tv.

the entire population may not have HDTVs but I would guess that the majority of ps3 owners do.

the thing about hdmi cables is that since the signal is digital, then you either get the signal or you don't. sony doesn't have to use gold plated anything, it's the same quality as the 1 dollar hdmi cables from monoprice. that would be like saying, hypothetically speaking of course, that sony could get away with charging 100 bucks for a ps3 controller if they gold plate the ps3 button. it does not in any way affect the quality of the cable.

the line "hardly anyone has a hdtv" doesn't apply either... if sony was worried about who has hdtvs then why put in a blu ray player?

joremari (6/15/2008)
the entire population may not have HDTVs but I would guess that the majority of ps3 owners do.

the thing about hdmi cables is that since the signal is digital, then you either get the signal or you don't. sony doesn't have to use gold plated anything, it's the same quality as the 1 dollar hdmi cables from monoprice. that would be like saying, hypothetically speaking of course, that sony could get away with charging 100 bucks for a ps3 controller if they gold plate the ps3 button. it does not in any way affect the quality of the cable.

the line "hardly anyone has a hdtv" doesn't apply either... if sony was worried about who has hdtvs then why put in a blu ray player?

I run a 27 inch tube. Both my friends run tubes as well. Even assuming that a majority of PS3 owners are HDTV, why would you eliminate the huge market that does not own one yet.

The Gold is for corrosion and connectivity. Makes sure in the long run that thes cables will connect with ease. Vizio makes Tv's that work just fine but don't have much of the features as the Sony brands, so should Sony just put Vizio's in their boxes.

Why would Sony put their own High Def player (which was competing with HD-DVD) on their player. Also for the amount of storage space you can get with each Blu-Ray disc, you no longer have the need for multiple discs.

joremari (6/15/2008)

I still don't get why people assume that most PS3 owners have HDTVs...

Why would they integrate a blu-ray player? Because it gives developers infinitely more room to work with and you're future-proofing the box with respect to it's ability to function as a media player.

womfalcs3 (6/13/2008)

can you please link me to the actualy cable your purchased?  I can't find a 15-FT hdmi cable for that price anywhere.

womfalcs3 (6/15/2008)
Link

They had a bigger price drop when I bought it.

So this will work with the ps3 and my hdtv correct?  If so I will buy two one for my hdtv receiver to my tv and one for the ps3 to my hdtv.  That's the best price I have seen.  I was about to spend like 40 bucks a cable. 

ak_falcon27 (6/15/2008)
joremari (6/15/2008)

I run a 27 inch tube. Both my friends run tubes as well. Even assuming that a majority of PS3 owners are HDTV, why would you eliminate the huge market that does not own one yet.

The Gold is for corrosion and connectivity. Makes sure in the long run that thes cables will connect with ease. Vizio makes Tv's that work just fine but don't have much of the features as the Sony brands, so should Sony just put Vizio's in their boxes.

Why would Sony put their own High Def player (which was competing with HD-DVD) on their player. Also for the amount of storage space you can get with each Blu-Ray disc, you no longer have the need for multiple discs.

who said you can only have 1 type of cables in the box? Womfalcs points out that HDMI cables only cost $1. Would it have been too much to ask for to throw a HDMI cable into the box?

You have a HDMI cable for those with HDTVs and the composite cables for those without. The 360 pro system comes with both composite and component cables.

the point is you cannot have the HD experience with the cables that come in the box which is absolutely crazy. It would be like if you put in a controller in this day and age that didn't have rumble.

btrain5489 (6/15/2008)
joremari (6/15/2008)

I still don't get why people assume that most PS3 owners have HDTVs...

Why would they integrate a blu-ray player? Because it gives developers infinitely more room to work with and you're future-proofing the box with respect to it's ability to function as a media player.

I don't understand how you can justify hyping a HD console and not including the cables necessary to take advantage of it.

SacFalcFan (6/16/2008)
womfalcs3 (6/15/2008)
Link

They had a bigger price drop when I bought it.

So this will work with the ps3 and my hdtv correct? If so I will buy two one for my hdtv receiver to my tv and one for the ps3 to my hdtv. That's the best price I have seen. I was about to spend like 40 bucks a cable.

Yes. I see a deal at the bottom of the product picture that gives you the 15-ft HDMI cable with another 6-ft one for 10.23 dollars.

joremari (6/16/2008)
ak_falcon27 (6/15/2008)
joremari (6/15/2008)

who said you can only have 1 type of cables in the box? Womfalcs points out that HDMI cables only cost $1. Would it have been too much to ask for to throw a HDMI cable into the box?

You have a HDMI cable for those with HDTVs and the composite cables for those without. The 360 pro system comes with both composite and component cables.

the point is you cannot have the HD experience with the cables that come in the box which is absolutely crazy. It would be like if you put in a controller in this day and age that didn't have rumble.

You're forgetting that Sony runs a business. Putting a HDMI cable in the box adds to the price of the product. No company is going to do that for free and if for some reason they did decide to do it for free they'd be increasing the loss they take on PS3s...and that loss would likely be more than one dollar.

Like I said already, if anything Sony could have made a switchable cable like M$ did. HDMI is a premium connection right now so I'm not going to claim they should have done that. With the switchable component you still have a cable that ALL your owners can use and you aren't putting a cable in the box that at least immediately a lot of people will have no use for.

On the side, I've had my PS3 for a year now and I haven't missed having a rumbling controller. It isn't a terribly important feature and given the price I don't think I'll be picking up a DualShock 3 for a long time.

QV_26 (6/13/2008)
$4 for an hdmi cable? i wouldn't buy it because its probably a bad one. i could go get a 6 footer at frys for about $13, but its not the cost, its the principle. sony advertises the crap out of the fact that it has blu-ray...whats the point if you can't get it right out of the box?

So by this logic I guess they should have sent you a HDTV with it too. :w00t:

And no, alot of people have that system and not a HDTV.