You Have Been a Great Soldier Snake - The Metal Gear Solid 4 Thread

It's great so far. Got to listen to Ryan Payton and co. podcast on the integrated iPod in the game. I'm certain they're going to allow us to use the device to listen to music/audio files on our HDD in the near future.

I love the feel of the game. It's not the same as MGS2 in term of camera, for example, but you still have to implement the same gameplay mechanics.

The opening takes a while and it catches you up as to what you're doing in the region you're in. I LOVE the enemies, as usual with MG games. I'm still in Act I, which follows the opening, and each act is pretty lengthy. I love to sneak around and kill/knock out one enemy at a time. The weapons feel great as well.

Ryan Payton promised a surprise to MGS4 buyers. So I'm kind of excited to see what it is. He said he spent a good amount of time near the end before launch working on it.

I got mine at Blockbuster and immediately popped it in. There is a mandatory install, but the process is fast and only takes about 8 minutes or so.

You're thrown right in the middle of the action after the opening cinematic, but the game helps you along so you don't feel too overwhelmed. The combat takes some getting used to, but I'm really enjoying how smooth the action is. In Metal Gear Portable Ops, you had the option to recruit enemy soldiers to help gather intel, sneak into areas and fight for you. In MGS4, you have the option of helping out the militia and have them as allies. The good thing about it is, they will fight along with you and will also give you items in return. Better yet, you don't have to worry about them turning on you.

The cinematics are GORGEOUS, and evey cinematic gives you a small window to flashback to a certain time in MGS lore. The coolest thing is the Octocamo that goes along with the camouflage system found in MGS3. If you press up against a wall or lay down flat on the floor, the camo will automatically blend in to the surrounding terrain making it nearly impossible for an enemy to spot on. On top of that, you can play dead to fool a patrolling enemy. In fact, I had two soldiers in my general vicinity pass nearby because I was "dead".

When you gather weapons, some of them are locked early on and you can't use them. Early on, you'll meet up with a gun expert who can help unlock the weapons for use.

There's soooo much more to get into, but I've only played it for about three hours total off and on. There's still a LOT I don't know yet. Now to get back to playing!

How are you liking it so far womfalcs?

Still in Act I.

I'm taking my time finding all the rations/other items I can get. I'm crawling 90% of the time. I haven't killed many PMC's so far (The side I'm killing); it's been mainly tranquilizers with a few AK-102 shots (Edit: Now I have an M4, which I have customized a little bit by adding a sound suppressor.). As I'm typing this I realize I haven't used the Mk II yet. I guess I'll do that once I continue playing.

Great atmosphere in the game. It doesn't feel static.

womfalcs3 (6/13/2008)
Still in Act I.

I'm taking my time finding all the rations/other items I can get. I'm crawling 90% of the time. I haven't killed many PMC's so far (The side I'm killing); it's been mainly tranquilizers with a few AK-102 shots (Edit: Now I have an M4, which I have customized a little bit by adding a sound suppressor.). As I'm typing this I realize I haven't used the Mk II yet. I guess I'll do that once I continue playing.

Great atmosphere in the game. It doesn't feel static.

I've used the Mk II once, but I haven't really felt like playing around with it much. I love using the tranq guns on the PMC, but what I love most is the ability to completely customize your gun to suit your needs :D.

I can't wait for the first boss battle :P

ProtoType (6/13/2008)
people can beat this game in a day

It's taking most people 25-30 hours. The only people who have beaten it in a day are those who skipped cutscenes. The only reason they did so is to see how fast they can go through.

I'm 5.25 hours in and I'm still in the beginning of Act II.

I had never played any of the MGS games before buying this one.  The game is awesome. Graphics are great. My only gripe is the cutscenes. I feel like I'm watching as much as I'm playing and thats not what I buy a game for. Don't get me wrong, I still love the gameplay, I've never seen another game that looked so smooth and I absolutely LOVE all of the weapons and gadgets. I just don't have any patience and sitting through cutscene after cutscene really bothers me but I don't really have a choice because, like I said, I have never played the series before buying 4 and I really don't have a clue about the characters and storyline.

I had read that MGS4 was going to have some pretty long cutscenes so I wasn't surprised at all, and I'm sure it appeals to you hardcore guys, but if I want to watch a movie I'll go rent a blu-ray movie.

All in all, the gameplay, graphics, etc make up for the numerous, long cutscenes. IMO It's a must have for anyone who owns a ps3.

falkonX7 (6/15/2008)
I had never played any of the MGS games before buying this one. The game is awesome. Graphics are great. My only gripe is the cutscenes. I feel like I'm watching as much as I'm playing and thats not what I buy a game for. Don't get me wrong, I still love the gameplay, I've never seen another game that looked so smooth and I absolutely LOVE all of the weapons and gadgets. I just don't have any patience and sitting through cutscene after cutscene really bothers me but I don't really have a choice because, like I said, I have never played the series before buying 4 and I really don't have a clue about the characters and storyline.

I had read that MGS4 was going to have some pretty long cutscenes so I wasn't surprised at all, and I'm sure it appeals to you hardcore guys, but if I want to watch a movie I'll go rent a blu-ray movie.

All in all, the gameplay, graphics, etc make up for the numerous,long cutscenes. IMO It's a must have for anyone who owns a ps3.

The long cutscenes have long been a staple of MGS, but it's easy to become annoyed with the cutscenes if you're new to the series. As for the characters and storylines, go to wikipedia and look up the Metal Gear Solid series and get yourself more acquainted :).

I'm taking my time through the second act. I can finally see Naomi's location (target point) on the map, but I still have to go through one more area before I get to her.

No kills so far in this one, but I did get three alerts. They were all in the same area. I don't know if one of the PMC's in the tower saw me. That could have been it.