Saints sign smith to 6 year 70m extension (26 in guarantees)

bossFALCON™

The New Orleans Saints locked up one of their cornerstones on Wednesday, signing defensive end Will Smith to a six-year, $70 million contract extension that includes $26 million in guaranteed money, NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports.

Smith, who received about $20 million in bonuses when he signed as a first-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004, had one year remaining on his deal. It would have likely paid him in the range of $1.8 million next season, depending on which incentives he hit.

The deal will make Smith the third highest-paid defensive end in the NFL, behind Kansas City's Jared Allen and Indianapolis' Dwight Freeney.

"The Saints really stepped up," said Smith's agent Joel Segal. "It was a long negotiation and a great deal for both Will and the Saints."

Smith, a Pro Bowl player in 2006, skipped an offseason training session with the Saints in May because he was unhappy with his contract, but participated in the Saints' most recent mandatory minicamp.

The 26-year-old led the Saints with seven sacks in 2007 and has 33.5 in four seasons. He also was among the team leaders in tackles last season with 66.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...eo&confirm=true

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bucman (6/11/2008)
great news... The Aints will spend all there money on the D-line! Thats the way to fix your secondary:D

Actually...  with the ever present lack of big time secondary help/talent every year in the draft and FA...  beefing up your pass rush and d-line in general....  is a very good way to make your secondary better in a hurry. 

QB with less time to throw = Better secondary by virtue.

WhenFalconsWin (6/12/2008)
Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/11/2008)
great news... The Aints will spend all there money on the D-line! Thats the way to fix your secondary:D

Just like the Giants in the super bowl. Thier secondary was all world with that kind of pass rush.

A great D-line can hide the deficiencies of a weaker secondary no doubt!

But do the Saints have a "GREAT D-LINE"?

It has still to be seen.

a dline can make your secondary look better, but you still have to have SOMEBODY back there. i dont think it'll make a load of a difference. the biggest move they made to improve their secondary was signing NE's nickel corner (GAY).:doze:

correct me if im wrong, but wasnt jason david INDY's nickel corner?:blink:

bossFALCON"! (6/12/2008)
a dline can make your secondary look better, but you still have to have SOMEBODY back there. i dont think it'll make a load of a difference. the biggest move they made to improve their secondary was signing NE's nickel corner (GAY).:doze:

correct me if im wrong, but wasnt jason david INDY's nickel corner?:blink:

I'll tell you the samething that I told Bucman. Be more concerned about your team. You'll find more question marks there than over here.

Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)
I didn't think you would WFW.

I say you should be more concerned with your team. Don't worry about us.

:) believe me when I say... I'm not!:cool:

You'll see come week 1 how pathetic your team will be against the Buc's, Just like last year so you should be use to it by now!:hehe::w00t::D:):cool:

bucman (6/12/2008)
Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)

You'll see come week 1 how pathetic your team will be against the Buc's, Just like last year so you should be use to it by now!:hehe::w00t::D:):cool:

Right! Just make sure you put your 2006 face on.

WhenFalconsWin (6/13/2008)
Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)

Just a Rival fan discussing his opponents weaknesses...isn't that what this forum is about?;)

No problem with that. But I'm just saying that you should be more concerned about the vastly more weaknesses on your team. And our weaknesses are not nearly as bad as they are being made to be.

Aquietguy (6/13/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)
Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)

Right! Just make sure you put your 2006 face on.

:D... Sure jus as long as you put your '05 face on with me:w00t:...

Aquietguy (6/12/2008)
bucman (6/12/2008)

What is there to be worried about?  We are completely rebuilding and are under no pressure to win right away. Heck, if we do not pick in the top ten of next years draft, then TD and Smith look like geniuses.

Can't say that about anyone else in the South.

HailRazor (6/13/2008) 

What is there to be worried about?  We are completely rebuilding and are under no pressure to win right away.

Haha, I sure hope this is the same mentality your FO is bringing into the regular season.

"No pressure to win right away." :laugh:

joe horn (6/13/2008)
HailRazor (6/13/2008) 

What is there to be worried about?  We are completely rebuilding and are under no pressure to win right away.

Haha, I sure hope this is the same mentality your FO is bringing into the regular season.

"No pressure to win right away." :laugh:

Better than being a team handed that was all but handed spot in the playoffs only to fall on their faces the following year when they had to put up or shut up.

But I agree on one thing, I do hope our FO feels that way. Let the others teams chase free agents only to be let down every other year.  After 40 years (only seven on Mr. Blank's watch), we Falcons are tired of it. I would rather have two losing seasons to build something special than be one and done every other year.

joe horn (6/13/2008)
This will be three (in a row).

And failing to live up to expectations is worse than just outright failing? 

MoreYouKnow.jpg

considering failing and not living up to expectations were one and the same for you guys last year id say theyre about the same. NFC championship game one year, top 10 pick next year. that must be fun.