Cleveland Browns released 6'2 313lbs LeCharles Bentley

atljbo

Browns released OL LeCharles Bentley.

Bentley asked for his release and he got it. "LeCharles doesn't want to be an insurance policy," said Bentley's agent. "He's going to play somewhere in 2008."

Yesterday LeCharles Bentley said he is 100% and the Doctors said he is healthier then he has ever been.... LeCharles Bentley asked to be released because he feels like he is ready to start but the Browns wanted him as a backup..... We could get Bentley on a 2 or 3 year deal for the LOW LOW

Remember dude was a probowl center

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

atljbo (6/11/2008)
Browns released OL LeCharles Bentley.

Bentley asked for his release and he got it. "LeCharles doesn't want to be an insurance policy," said Bentley's agent. "He's going to play somewhere in 2008."

Yesterday LeCharles Bentley said he is 100% and the Doctors said he is healthier then he has ever been.... LeCharles Bentley asked to be released because he feels like he is ready to start but the Browns wanted him as a backup..... We could get Bentley on a 2 or 3 year deal for the LOW LOW

Remember dude was a probowl center

also remember he was out for the past 2 seasons due to injury.

He blew his knee out in the Browns first camp after they gave him a BIG money deal.

Then after his knee surgery he developed a staff infection and then had several more surgeries.

Did he really get cut?  It makes this article even better:

5930.jpg

Bentley

BEREA, Ohio--Coming back from a situation that LeCharles Bentley described as "life threatening," the Cleveland Browns center was all smiles and confident Tuesday about his pending return to the NFL.

After a two-year hiatus that included a pair of left knee surgeries, the former Pro Bowl center passed his physical and conditioning drills in order to return to the Browns. One surgery was to repair his torn patellar tendon that he suffered on the first day of training camp in 2006, while the second was to clear out a subsequent staph infection.

The second surgery is where things got dicey for Bentley. He wouldn't go into details, but said his emotions ranged from "not expecting to live," to "you'll be lucky to play again," to "things are getting better," where he currently stands today.

"It was really a test,'' Bentley said after the team's first minicamp practice. "So many times I wanted to quit, but I just couldn't quit. Honestly, now for the rest of my career and the rest of my time as a football player, I don't really think it's about me. It's not about me being the best or going to Pro Bowls. Right now I'm trying to show people that if you believe in something ... anything can happen."

Bentley added that he's not worried about rust or his playing ability, and promises that he will be playing in 2008. Still, the Browns remain cautiously optimistic.

Cleveland made a major investment in Bentley two years ago, signing him to a six-year, $36-million contract.That deal has since been shortened and now has one year remaining, in what is likely Bentley's last chance to play for his hometown team.

"He's made a lot of progress,'' Browns general manager Phil Savage said. "He wants to give it a go. We're willing to do that and we want to do that for him.''

Bentley was regarded as one of the top centers in the NFL before his injury. He was expected to anchor Cleveland's offensive line long term but hard luck followed.

Bentley injured his knee on the first day of training camp in 2006 blocking former teammate Ted Washington. The first surgery was expected to keep him out for one season but complications and a second surgery forced him to miss the past two years.

Now Bentley looks healthy again. He appears to be near his playing weight and his arms are monstrous. At the very least, Bentley could provide depth at center or guard for the Browns if he's able to stay healthy.

"I'm as good as I'm going to get,'' Bentley said. "I'm ready to go. I did a little bit of stuff today and hopefully I can get better at some things. But the sky is the limit now for me. I'm going to end up being a better player behind all this. I feel much better, I feel more stronger and I feel more explosive than I've ever been.''

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

scott hartley (6/11/2008)
Link?

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/l...ks_for_rec.html

the team doctors said his knee is 100%..... Bentley also look healthy and in shape..... this is a way we can improve our line.....

also remember he was out for the past 2 seasons due to injury

Meaning he is fresher.... the guy was a probowl Center..... He had a bad break on his first prctice in cleveland..... The Doctors said his knee is now better then a regular persons knee now with the rods in it..... He is worth giving a try...... i think he could even play guard

Mr. Offseason (6/11/2008)
if he will come at a reasonable salary for a couple years bring him in and let him compete and eventually beat out mcclure for the starting C spot. ive wanted to get rid of him since i became a fan of this team 8 years ago. him and weiner.
Disagree on Weiner. He's a very solid and underrated RT IMO.

his agent released this

LeCharles came back to Cleveland to be in integral part of the Cleveland Browns, his hometown team, Feinsod said, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer. Through no fault of the Browns at all, they didn t know if LeCharles was going to come back or not and they moved on with their plans. But this is not the same team LeCharles signed with. They have commitments to other players. LeCharles is not ready to be an insurance policy at this point.

doubletrouble21 (6/11/2008)
I really do hope we have a look at this guy. I'm waiting for there to be a story on AJC.com regarding this guy. When Odell Thurman was on the prowl, there was a story saying we weren't interested. I want news on this guy saying we ARE interested. BRING 'EM HOME! :)
THere was a reason we weren't interested in THurman, and rightfully so.

sporkdevil (6/11/2008)
If we move him to guard, I'd say yes. But he needs to pass some serious medical screenings.

And he as out so long because everyone in Cleveland who goes in for surgery gets staph infections. I think 6 players on their team got infections after surgery.

Word!  I had the misfortune of being in Metro Hospital in Cleveland not too long ago.  It makes Grady look like the Biltmore Estate.

The guy is healthy and has 2 extra years on his career ..... For Matt Ryan to be able to become that franchise QB we need..... We have to have a good O-Line... just think about it

LT: 6'5 312lbs Sam Baker ( 23 years old)

LG: 6'4 330lbs Justin Blalock ( 24 years old)

C: 6'2 312lbs LeCharles Bentley ( 28 years old)

RG: 6'6 316lbs Tyson Clabo ( 26 years old)

RT: 6'5 300lbs Todd Weiner ( 32 years old)

This is a O-Line unit that we can have for years..... in a year or 2 we can switch Clabo to RT and have a young Right Guard (drafted) come in