Offense Defense look from sporting news

jc

Offense- Offensive coordinator Mike mularkey will implement his exotic smash mouth attack that is centered around a power running game. The vertical passing game will flow off play action fakes with a healthy dose of well timed gadget plays. Before things get rolling and the unit is set to establish an identity, the falcons must rebuild the offensive line under the guidance of longtime nfl assistant coach paul boudreau. In addition to revamping the line , the falcons must find a few tight ends-h backs who can execute in the run game. Defense-DEfensive coordinator brian van gorder gets his big shot in the nfl after bouncing between the college ranks and the league over the past four seasons. He was the falcons linebacker coach last season after erving a year as georgia southerns head coach. He coached linebackers with smith at jacksonvillethe year before that and was at the univ. of georgia before going to jacksonville. Vangorder had a reputation for playing an attacking 4-3 defense while defensive coordinator at georgia. The falcons spent heavily on the secondary in the draft and free agency, signaling that major changes are on the way. They are preparing to play a myriad of zone coverages and allow vangorder to pick his spots with a creative blitz package.

I would think that we would focus a lot more on the power running game than the gadget plays at this point in the team's restructuring. Gadget plays typically take longer to develop and if our o-line is even remotely suspect, they could end up blowing up in our faces. Also, I'd rather keep things simple for Ryan to start with early in his career; he can pick up more as he progresses and we can start getting more exotic, but let's start with building up a smash-mouth foundation and build on that before we do anything else.

On defense, I just hope we can stop the run. Our DTs remain to be proven and until we know whether we can stop teams from running on us or not, we won't be able to do any of the exotic blitz packages that Van Gorder has always espoused.

Direwolf

What the **** is an "exotic smashmouth" offense?

That's an oxymoron like Jumbo Shrimp or hot ice.

The ideas of running gadget plays with THIS team scares me.  We need to get the fundamentals down before we get "cute" or games will get out of hand VERY quickly.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/11/2008)

I hope it is alot like the Steelers of the 90's. But Im with you not this year work it in slowly we need a stable offense before we get cute.

"On defense, I just hope we can stop the run. Our DTs remain to be UNproven and until we know whether we can stop teams from running on us or not, we won't be able to do any of the exotic blitz packages that Van Gorder has always espoused"

And Im with Direwolf on this quote I liked what Van-G did at UGA but he hasnt done much ANYWHERE else he has been so he is as unproven as our players, with nothing more than the promise of good chemistry between players and the coach Im not sold.

Also jc has posted many articles with titles that seem to be attributed to Sporting news could I get a link to any of this? I was all over sporting news and hav;nt seen anything you are writing about or is this your news and your sporting us?

Sun Tzu 7 (6/11/2008)

That's an oxymoron like Jumbo Shrimp or hot ice.

The ideas of running gadget plays with THIS team scares me.  We need to get the fundamentals down before we get "cute" or games will get out of hand VERY quickly.

It's the Steelers offense from early 2000. The run sets up the pass, but you have to execute the run first.

It's the Steelers offense from early 2000. The run sets up the pass, but you have to execute the run first.

We're not the Steelers.  We don't have that type of Personnel.

How good was Mularkey's offense when he was the HC of Buffalo?  How about when he was the OC in Miami?

You guys need to forget about Mularkey when he was with the Steelers.  We don't have THAT o-line, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, or Antwan Randel El. 

So we can't do the same things. 

There is no exotic to smashmouth and that was my point.  You pound the ball and play good defense.  Right now it remains to be seen if we can even do that.

This trick play stuff is a disaster waiting to happen with this team.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/11/2008)
It's the Steelers offense from early 2000. The run sets up the pass, but you have to execute the run first.

How good was Mularkey's offense when he was the HC of Buffalo?  How about when he was the OC in Miami?

You guys need to forget about Mularkey when he was with the Steelers.  We don't have THAT o-line, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, or Antwan Randel El. 

There is no exotic to smashmouth and that was my point.  You pound the ball and play good defense.  Right now it remains to be seen if we can even do that.

We don't have the personnel YET, but there's no reason to suspect that we can't build a team like that.

And if you're going to ignore what he did with a good team, you also have to ignore what he did with a very bad team. He had no quarterback, questionable running backs, a porous o-line, and dubious wide receivers in Miami. I don't think anyone could have succeeded in Miami. As for Buffalo, inexperience at QB and running back along with issues along the o-line lead to similar results. However, the offense in Buffalo at least was showing some signs of improvement over his short tenure. We have no idea what would have happened if he'd stayed.

Excessive negativity and pessimism is just as unrealistic as excessive optimism, you know.

Direwolf

And if you're going to ignore what he did with a good team, you also have to ignore what he did with a very bad team. He had no quarterback, questionable running backs, a porous o-line, and dubious wide receivers in Miami. I don't think anyone could have succeeded in Miami. As for Buffalo, inexperience at QB and running back along with issues along the o-line lead to similar results. However, the offense in Buffalo at least was showing some signs of improvement over his short tenure. We have no idea what would have happened if he'd stayed.

I am not saying we can't put together an effective offense with what we have.  However after reading the initial post and buzz words like "exotic smashmouth" I got the feeling the original poster wrote this and didn't get it from a 3rd party sight.

I am not ignoring what he did with the Steelers...  I am saying is not applicable here... yet.

Between the Steelers and Dolphins which team are we closer to?  That's probably going to be closer to what we look like.  And the clock is already ticking for Mularkey.  Why?

Matt Ryan.  It's ALL about him.  If Ryan struggles after a few seasons, (2 or 3) who is the most likely to go?  OC and/or QB coach. 

If Ryan struggles for more than 4 seasons... that probably means a new head coach... Blank can't get rid of Ryan but he still has to sell tickets and that means selling hope.  How do you do that if your QB hasn't shown progress and you can't get rid of him?

Simple... get a new offensive coach that is good with QB's.  After all that's what Blank did with Petirno but obviously that didn't work out...

Oh, I get you now. Sorry, I thought you were being one of those folks who has to nay-say everything that comes down.

Yeah, I agree. We're not ready to implement all the stuff he did with the Steelers and may not ever be the team to do it all (we may never have a Randle-El kind of guy who can throw an effective pass on a WR option). This year we need to focus on the bare bones of the offense and make damned sure we've got them down. If we have to ride Turner and Mughelli, well, that's why they get so much money.

Direwolf

Sun Tzu 7 (6/11/2008)

Maybe its like exotic (reverses and wr throwing the ball) and smashmouth.Like run and shoot.You cant run while you shoot but you can do both seperately.

jc (6/11/2008)
Offense- Offensive coordinator Mike mularkey will implement his exotic smash mouth attack that is centered around a power running game. The vertical passing game will flow off play action fakes with a healthy dose of well timed gadget plays. Before things get rolling and the unit is set to establish an identity, the falcons must rebuild the offensive line under the guidance of longtime nfl assistant coach paul boudreau. In addition to revamping the line , the falcons must find a few tight ends-h backs who can execute in the run game. Defense-DEfensive coordinator brian van gorder gets his big shot in the nfl after bouncing between the college ranks and the league over the past four seasons. He was the falcons linebacker coach last season after erving a year as georgia southerns head coach. He coached linebackers with smith at jacksonvillethe year before that and was at the univ. of georgia before going to jacksonville. Vangorder had a reputation for playing an attacking 4-3 defense while defensive coordinator at georgia. The falcons spent heavily on the secondary in the draft and free agency, signaling that major changes are on the way. They are preparing to play a myriad of zone coverages and allow vangorder to pick his spots with a creative blitz package.

SOME OF YOU GUYS REALLY WANT TO BE SPORTS WRITERS. MORE POWER TO YOU.

While I do think we will do better than the so called experts say, I do fear too many trick plays.  Trick plays are cool when they work.  They create excitement, however, when they fail, trick plays can blow up in your face and completely change the game.  Too many times, trick plays can result in a huge loss in yards or even worse, turn overs. 

I hope that we stick to smash mouth.  The offense needs to keep the defense off the field as much as possible. We need to control the clock. Allow the run to set up the pass, either Redman or Ryan can succeed as long as we can pick up positive yards on first down.  We need to stay out of 2nd and 10 and 3rd and long situations. 

Let's look at the big picture and let the offense help out the defense.  Make sure that we do not shoot ourselves in the foot with too many trick plays.

brvslugger10 (6/11/2008)
Make sure that we do not shoot ourselves in the foot with too many trick plays.
IDK any offense that uses trick plays often. I think Mularkey will use it when the other team doesn't expect. Possibly the first play of the game?
I just hope we do not have to run a couple of trick play in every game.  As far as a trick play on the first play of the game, how about a deep ball to Roddy White streaking down the sideline to start things off?  That would be tricky enough for me.

Why do I have to sign in twice to reply to a post?  Argh!  Fix this board mods!

Anyway, with it so well documented that the Falcons are now a "smash-mouth" running team, can we really expect to have a ton of success running the ball?  If I'm the opposing DC I'm stacking 8 in the box and making you to throw the ball to beat me.  What about a balanced offense?  That's what seems to be most successful in the NFL.  Just a thought.

Birdmahn (6/11/2008)
Why do I have to sign in twice to reply to a post?  Argh!  Fix this board mods!

Anyway, with it so well documented that the Falcons are now a "smash-mouth" running team, can we really expect to have a ton of success running the ball?  If I'm the opposing DC I'm stacking 8 in the box and making you to throw the ball to beat me.  What about a balanced offense?  That's what seems to be most successful in the NFL.  Just a thought.

Good point Birdmahn, a balanced attack would be the best.  When I think of smash mouth, I like to think that if we need a yard or two we can get it by pounding the ball.  The run will have to set up the pass.  If 8 are stacked in the box, let's put that ball up in the air.  Redman  and Ryan are both talented enough to burn defenses that stack the line.

REV.2000 (6/12/2008)
The Falcon Ace (6/11/2008)
monoxide (6/11/2008)
after predicting us to go 1-15, sporting news has about as much cred as Birdweiserr in my opinion.

Where has he been by the way?

THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION. I KIND OF MISS HAVING TO DEAL WITH HIM.:)

He's fun, it's better than dealing with Vick75 aka ATL75 aka infinity other user names...

I can understand trying to steer clear of trick plays for a while but when in fact, I believe it's something that we should implement at least once every game.  Even if it doesn't work for us the first time or two, it's something that can be in the opposing defense's heads and can maybe keep them from stacking up against the power running game.  Of course if they are stacking up against the run, that could really open the door for play-action passes. 

Of course the biggest question mark is how the OL is going to perform but I think we're going to be better than a lot of people give us credit for.  I think the left side is starting to take shape although there's going to be a learning curve for Blalock and Baker so they probably won't be real solid until late in the season or maybe the season following.  At least we're putting some bulk up there and we can just hope that doesn't hurt their speed and performance too much.  I like the way I hear about them being trained with the medicine balls and such.

I just hope that we can incorporate my favorite play ever if we're going to get into using trick plays: the flea flicker.

When it works, the flea-flicker is an absolute back-breaker of a play. We ran it several times in 98 and the other team was just demoralized after it happened.

Of course, we then tried it against Dallas in 99 and Chandler lofted a PERFECT touchdown pass to a wide open Chris Calloway - who dropped it. Jamal blew out his knee on the next play.

Sigh.

Direwolf

Sun Tzu 7 (6/11/2008)

I would argue that while we may not have the same caliber of personnel, we do have similar...Roddy White, Laurent Robinson and they may or could use D.J. Shockley in an Antwan Randel El mode...Randel El was a former QB...

Hey...it could happen...Roddy and Laurent are some kind of talented...

Exotic smashmouth running gadget passing attack scheme philosophy!

Whatever. I just want to see running plays that average 4 yards per and occasionally break one for a big gain, and an efficient pass game that spreads defenses out and occasionally hits a deep one. All the fancy words mean squat.