Crump " Ryan should be a very good QB in this league "

swiftkick

Former TE Alge Crumpler, who was released after the season and signed a two-year contract with Tennessee, got an early read on Falcons' rookie QB Matt Ryan. The veteran and now $72 Million Man trained at the same facility in Arizona last winter and routinely went through passing drills with each other.

"I had a chance to catch balls form him," Crumpler said. "He's a quality kid. He's got a good arm and he should be a very good quarterback in this league."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

falconva7 (6/10/2008)
Is anyone surprised that the guy he trained with said he's good? What's Crump supposed to do? Break down his mechanics?

i mean 4real, thats what im sayin. hes not gonna say oh well he cant throw the ball that good, and his accuracy isnt on point, and he breaks down under pressure. HE WAS JUST CATCHING BALLS FOR HIM.

SteelerDawg6481 (6/10/2008)
falconva7 (6/10/2008)
Is anyone surprised that the guy he trained with said he's good? What's Crump supposed to do? Break down his mechanics?
So you know more then a pro-bowl TE?

...WHAT? When did I ever claim to know more about football than Crump or make any assertions towards Matt Ryan's playing ability?

All I'm saying is when a reporter asks a guy who just TRAINED with a player "what do you think of so-and-so?" that player is basically obligated to give a good review. Did anyone really expect Crump to say anything but "I think he's going to be a good player?"

mbrizzle (6/10/2008)
falconva7 (6/10/2008)

Um.... Yeah. He could have. I dont see any reason that Crump would lie.

I've never heard of a player training with another player and then saying afterwards "man that guy was terrible" to a reporter. It's rude, inappropriate, and ill-mannered. That's like someone asking you in a public venue what you think about a co-worker and you blasting them in front of the whole world and saying they are terrible.

falconva7 (6/10/2008)
mbrizzle (6/10/2008)
falconva7 (6/10/2008)

I've never heard of a player training with another player and then saying afterwards "man that guy was terrible" to a reporter. It's rude, inappropriate, and ill-mannered. That's like someone asking you in a public venue what you think about a co-worker and you blasting them in front of the whole world and saying they are terrible.

People at training camps in Arizona arent coworkers. There's no reason for Crump to lie. And you dont have to blast someone in contrast. There are shades of grey in between "praising" and "blasting" someone. A simple 'no-comment' or 'some areas need to be worked on, and he's working on them' type of comment would make sense.

I think that's the whole point here (even though this report is old). During workouts, if AC caught some passes from Ryan and thought that the kid was a noodle arm, he wouldn't have said as much to reporters - he would have said NOTHING. The fact that he took the time to throw out a complement means something coming from a Pro Bowler.

Ok, I think this is going to be one of those things where we just agree to disagree. But I think he was just being courteous to the guy he just got done working out with. This: "He's a quality kid. He's got a good arm and he should be a very good quarterback in this league." does not sound like a very heartfelt compliment. It sounds like something the PR guy would tell you to say or something. In my personal opinion it just sounds like Crump was being courteous.

And lets not act like Crump took out a full page ad in the Times to proclaim Matt Ryan as the next Peyton Manning, he said he will be a quality kid, that's hardly going out of his way to compliment Matt Ryan.

Agree to disagree. This argument cannot be won by either side.

Edit: If you look at the report, it looks like Crump was ASKED about Ryan. He had no chance to say nothing. Like I said, to me it doesn't look like he went out of his way, he was prompted by the reporter and the only appropriate thing was to compliment the guy he just worked with. You can't just say "no comment" when someone asks "what'd you think of Matt Ryan?"

Edit: If you look at the report, it looks like Crump was ASKED about Ryan. He had no chance to say nothing. Like I said, to me it doesn't look like he went out of his way, he was prompted by the reporter and the only appropriate thing was to compliment the guy he just worked with. You can't just say "no comment" when someone asks "what'd you think of Matt Ryan?"

First, I prefer 'discussion' - I don't think we're arguing! :D

You could be right. If AC was asked what he thought, certainly he wouldn't come out and say "this kid sucks!" On the other hand, this is the new guy in ATL. #83 probably still has a little sore spot after last year, then being released, so even if he thought Ryan was Unitas incarnate, he wouldn't say that, either.

Peace :P

falconva7 (6/10/2008)
mbrizzle (6/10/2008)
falconva7 (6/10/2008)

falconva7,

Alge Crumpler is not one to avoid speaking his mind. Crump was the first one to criticize Bobby Petrino in the media while Petrino was still there - early on in the season. So, for you to say Crump would more likely be obligated to "say something nice" is misguided.

Sure, some people feel obligated to say something "politically correct" but I don't think Alge is that type of person.

swiftkick (6/10/2008)
Former TE Alge Crumpler, who was released after the season and signed a two-year contract with Tennessee, got an early read on Falcons' rookie QB Matt Ryan. The veteran and now $72 Million Man trained at the same facility in Arizona last winter and routinely went through passing drills with each other.

"I had a chance to catch balls form him," Crumpler said. "He's a quality kid. He's got a good arm and he should be a very good quarterback in this league."

Crumpler felt the same way about Vick swiftkick, so is he right or wrong?

scott hartley (6/10/2008)
swiftkick (6/10/2008)

Crumpler felt the same way about Vick swiftkick, so is he right or wrong?

And that's the clincher.

/thread