what would your expectations be for NE if belichick retired?

i believe we DRASTICALLY improved our coaching overall over last year. hue jackson aside, i think we are better every where. i think a team with superior coaching can beat a team with superior talent. i'll prove it, would your expectations change if we traded for bill belichick as our HC and he brought his entire staff with him? you know everyone's expectations would be higher from pure coaching alone. i'm not saying smith is a belichick, he is a rookie HC and he has a lot to prove but he is WAY better than petrino and i think his staff is altogether better as well. i have higher expectations this year on coaching alone, however given the improvement in overall depth despite subtractions like crumpler, coleman, and hall, i think we may be a more well rounded team. at QB i believe we can say we are more talented. i wont say the team is more talented with all the proven pro bowlers who were dismissed, but i do think we are more well rounded with and increase of talent at some sorely needed spots and a decrease in talent at some spots that hopefully dont hurt as bad as some anticipate.

The best jockey in the world isnt winning the kentucky derby on a mule.Smith is going to have a hard time.Hes a rooky head coach.The clock,challenges and timeouts will always get a new head coach.I think the pats could win with another coach.Bellichick prepares his team for every situation.Im not sure hes the best.

I think belichick is overrated , but that is my opinion. I think are coaching staff has improve even though I think Zimmerman and the WRS coach we got from the bengals the year before were good though. Even if Mike Smith doesn't pan out, are coaching staff as a whole is a lot better than last year. I think we could go 9-7 or even 10-6, because we have more talent now than we have had in years past. We have a better o-line now even though we didn't add much, better running game now that we have a power runner. We have a good recieving core now, better linebackers. I think we finally have some good depth at safety which we have needed for a while now. Corners are young but very talented and if you look at the colts corners and some other teams that have good defense it has a lot to do with the system. So we will be ok there as well, only thing that might hurt us is DT and ST if we don't have a good returner.

peter griffin (6/9/2008)
i believe we DRASTICALLY improved our coaching overall over last year. hue jackson aside, i think we are better every where. i think a team with superior coaching can beat a team with superior talent. i'll prove it, would your expectations change if we traded for bill belichick as our HC and he brought his entire staff with him? you know everyone's expectations would be higher from pure coaching alone. i'm not saying smith is a belichick, he is a rookie HC and he has a lot to prove but he is WAY better than petrino and i think his staff is altogether better as well. i have higher expectations this year on coaching alone, however given the improvement in overall depth despite subtractions like crumpler, coleman, and hall, i think we may be a more well rounded team. at QB i believe we can say we are more talented. i wont say the team is more talented with all the proven pro bowlers who were dismissed, but i do think we are more well rounded with and increase of talent at some sorely needed spots and a decrease in talent at some spots that hopefully dont hurt as bad as some anticipate.

Proven, veteran, NFL experienced coaches at virtually every position, a head coach that COMMUNICATES with players, and a GM that knows how to evaluate talent.  That is a recipe for success.  Look what Green Bay has done the past couple of seasons. 

Missing the Pro-Bowlers will hurt, but good coaching can turn any player into a Pro-Bowler.  The Falcons got younger at every position without sacrificing talent.

Jimusmc (6/10/2008)
brvslugger10 (6/10/2008)
Belichek just seems like a jacka$$ to me, and acts like he is better than veryone else. Just my opinion.

and he sucks at not being able to cheat w/o being caught

YOU'RE RIGHT AGAIN. NFL COACHES HAVE BEEN DOING WHAT HE DID EVERY SINCE THEY INVENTED FILM ......... AND THIS JOKER GETS CAUGHT!:)

Don't forget that Mularkey is a former head coach and Emmitt Thomas holds the position that we haven't had before in Assistant Head Coach. With their help, Smith will have less of a learning curve than Petrino did coming from college. I think it's pretty clear that this group of guys is way more competent than the former group as a whole coherent unit.

Mike Smith - Head Coach

Emmitt Thomas - Assistant Head Coach/Secondary

Keith Armstrong - Special Teams Coordinator

Mike Mularkey - Offensive Coordinator

Brian VanGorder - Defensive Coordinator

Paul Boudreau - Offensive Line

How is it that we "DRASTICALLY" improved our coaching staff when we haven't even played a single game yet, much less started training camp? A ten year old boy with a clipboard would've been a better head coach than Bobby Petrino, but Hue Jackson and Mike Zimmer were great coordinators in my opinion. Jackson helped Roddy become a solid receiver and I think Zimmer did a pretty decent job with the talent he was given.

You can't really tell for sure how good Zimmer and Jackson were after just 1 season but I liked what I started to see out of them. How exactly are we all so sure the new staff is better when we haven't even gotten to training camp yet?

belichick is a jack #####. i hate when he loses and does'nt shake the winning coaches hand. still, give credit where credit is due, the patriots only lost one game last year and it was one of those whoever had the ball last was going to win kind of games. i know the patriots had it last but not with the time to play their game. they had chance at a few shots down the field. they have the pedigree and the jockey. i just think we have a lot to be excited about in year one of the new era. i might believe in the hawks if they got someone better than mike woodson. i believe in mike smith and his staff based on their prior success and what i am hearing from camp and players.

i believed in hue jackson last off season for all the same reasons and we all can agree that he probably had the most impact on roddy whites break out season. zimmer was good but not great. i think a mike smith defense will be even better than a zimmer defense of 07. hue jackson is the only guy i really wanted to see back aside from musgrave and thomas. i think he is a genious with WR's. you could look at his work in cincinatti and see that. sugarbear is the coach im excited about this year. i think he can have the same affect on our DL this year that jackson had on our WR's last year.

Norwood all the way! (6/10/2008)
anything is an upgrade over petrino. if we had a monkey for a coach, ide still say we've upgraded.

Seems like just last year it was: Petrino is a n offensive genius..Petrino is a major upgrade over J.M. Petrino is my ....HERO

...And now you have a monkey for a coach and have upgraded.:cool: