6'3 226lbs Taylor Mays, USC, safety

atljbo

I know its early but Im hearing that this is his last year at USC.... I want the falcons to draft this guy BAD

look at this

Taylor Mays, USC, safety: Scary. That is the best way to describe Mays. His combination of size and speed in a safety is freakish. And in the Trojans' spring game, Mays obliterated Patrick Turner, the team's towering 6-foot-5, 230-pound receiver on a play when he came over the middle. I suspect many Pac-10 receivers envision similar scenes before they face the Trojans and their super-fast, super-sized DB.

Mays' workout numbers are ridiculous. He's 6-3, 226 pounds, with 6 percent body fat and ran an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds. He did 26 reps with 225 pounds while also vertical jumping 41 inches and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4. (As evidence in his growth, Mays arrived at USC weighing 215 and posted a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 10-0.)

Asked if he's even seen anything that big, move that fast, USC strength coach Chris Carlisle paused for a few moments: "Maybe when I walked by the cheetah cage at the wildlife park." Mays' athleticism actually presents USC with a different kind of issue: a talent with such growth potential that you have to guard against him outgrowing the position. "Our big thing is he could get too big too fast," says Carlisle, who also gushes about the player's work ethic. "He could easily be like his daddy [former NFL defensive lineman Stafford Mays] so we have to make him better without making him bigger because he could be like 260 in a month."

Carlisle predicts Mays could still run a sub-4.4 40 at that size, but says the key is keeping the DB from bulking up too much in his lower body. "We could use him like a science experiment, but that really wouldn't be of value to him or the team."

also

Evaluation

Mays has perhaps the most range of any athlete in this class and is a potentially dominating safety prospect. He has outstanding size and speed and all the measurables you want. Is also a candidate to end up as an outside linebacker in college. He shows good instincts, he has great range and he always seems to be around the ball. Plays with a mean streak. Is fast enough to run with receivers downfield and has the height to compete for jump balls. Has the strength to muscle receivers out of their routes and is big enough to match up with tight ends in the red zone. Is a terrific athlete, shows good burst out of cuts and holds up well in man-to-man coverage. Takes little time to reach top speed and shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield. As a blitzer, can get to quarterbacks quickly and has the lateral mobility to slip blockers in the backfield. Reads the quarterback's eyes, gets a great break and diagnoses routes well. Explodes upfield when jumping routes and has the body control to adjust to the ball while it's in the air. Gets fierce when fighting for the ball and has the leaping ability to consistently come down with the jump ball. Shows good elusiveness, also stars as a receiver, is comfortable with the ball in his hands and is always a threat to return an interception for a touchdown. Takes the shortest path to the ball, is willing in run support and has the speed to makes plays from sideline-to-sideline. Has the size to line up in the box and shows good pop at the point of attack. Is agile enough to slip blocks and gets through traffic quickly. Breaks down in space, wraps the ball carrier up upon contact and rarely misses open-field tackles. If he adjusts mentally, he could be an impact guy right away.

Notes

Class 3A State Champion as a sophomore in the 100 and 200metter dashes... Named to the Seattle Times All State team as a junior after he had 89 tackles five interceptions, 25 receptions for 514 yards and seven touchdowns

In 2006 i wanted the falcons to draft LaRon Landry but i want Taylor Mays 10 times more .....

Dude looks like a Linebacker

72530780.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBAEA3F01CA147E83DA40A659CEC4C8CB6

large_taylormays.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mbrizzle (6/9/2008)
I dont know about those giant safeties. They always have these insane measurables... until they get to the combine. Darnell Bing and Ernest Shazor pop up in my mind.

Taylor Mays is nothing like neither of those guys... He hits like Laron Landry but he covers like Reggie Nelson...... Ive seen this guy play an this dude flys around the field.... When you see this guy play you will see what I'm talking about... He is a FREAK OF NATURE

thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)
with tha drafting of Curtis Lofton, my hopes for Maualuga have fallen (unless he can take over for Brooking outside). We'd be fools not to take a long, hard look at Mays tho.

i agree... USC have two Freak of nature

Next year draft: if we have a chance of getting at least one of the USC defensive players coming out, we neeed to jump all over them. MLB Rey Mauluaga, DT Fili Moala, or that safety atljbo is tallking about. All of this guy are beast. We can move Lofton to the weakside if we get Mauluaga. Imagine of LBs group. Boley, Mauluaga, Lofton. Hard Hitting LBs. We will be fear for years.

atljbo (6/9/2008)
thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)
with tha drafting of Curtis Lofton, my hopes for Maualuga have fallen (unless he can take over for Brooking outside). We'd be fools not to take a long, hard look at Mays tho.

yeah but dont forget dbs are hrd to evaluate look at j-dub (jimmy) his workouts were insane and his game footage was even better look howhe turned out.

falcons$money (6/9/2008)
atljbo (6/9/2008)
thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)

yeah but dont forget dbs are hrd to evaluate look at j-dub (jimmy) his workouts were insane and his game footage was even better look howhe turned out.

Jimmy doesn't have a good head on his shoulders. He struggles with the mental portion of the game and lacks solid work ethic, and that is why he fails...

The Falcon Ace (6/9/2008)
falcons$money (6/9/2008)
atljbo (6/9/2008)
thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)

Jimmy doesn't have a good head on his shoulders. He struggles with the mental portion of the game and lacks solid work ethic, and that is why he fails...

and how do we know that this mays guy doesnt? Jimmy had no problems in college so how were we to know?

muskokas finest (6/9/2008)
In Mays, Maualuga and Moala, USC might have three top 10 picks in 2009. Maualuga might end up as a strong safety, but any of the three would be welcome

Maualuga at strong safety????  not sure about that one.  that guy is nothing but a linebacker.  i'd put him straight inside linebacker.  think Lofa Tatupu X 2.

falcons$money (6/9/2008)
falcons$money (6/9/2008)
atljbo (6/9/2008)
thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)

and how do we know that this mays guy doesnt? Jimmy had no problems in college so how were we to know?

I'm not saying Mays does or doesn't, that's why I said I am all for him if he has a good head on his shoulders. I was stating why Jimmy Williams isn't looking so hot...

falcons$money (6/9/2008)
falcons$money (6/9/2008)
atljbo (6/9/2008)
thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)

I'm not saying Mays does or doesn't, that's why I said I am all for him if he has a good head on his shoulders. I was stating why Jimmy Williams isn't looking so hot...

my bad man i misread

Lofton is a MLB guys. He does not have good coverage skills for a OLB. He is a run stuffer with MLB speed. Not a 4.5-4.6 speed. We'll see if Mays comes out, if he does, then jump all over him and put him at SS. Some people, including myself, think Fili Moala is overrated. I think he did well was b/c of Ellis and Jackson commanding a lot of attention. See what he does this year w/o them, and then we can analyze. Basically, the first round should be either SS, RT, C(only one worthy is Alex Mack), RG, UT, and maybe NT(we'll whats up with Trey).

thakrunk1 (6/9/2008)
muskokas finest (6/9/2008)
In Mays, Maualuga and Moala, USC might have three top 10 picks in 2009. Maualuga might end up as a strong safety, but any of the three would be welcome

Maualuga at strong safety????  not sure about that one.  that guy is nothing but a linebacker.  i'd put him straight inside linebacker.  think Lofa Tatupu X 2.

agreed.  there is no way that rey maualuga ends up at SS.  he is a pure MLB.

Luigis from ARK is more than worthy at C.

brvslugger10 (6/9/2008)
Lofton is a MLB guys. He does not have good coverage skills for a OLB. He is a run stuffer with MLB speed. Not a 4.5-4.6 speed. We'll see if Mays comes out, if he does, then jump all over him and put him at SS. Some people, including myself, think Fili Moala is overrated. I think he did well was b/c of Ellis and Jackson commanding a lot of attention. See what he does this year w/o them, and then we can analyze. Basically, the first round should be either SS, RT, C(only one worthy is Alex Mack), RG, UT, and maybe NT(we'll whats up with Trey).

If we have a top 10 pick,which is likely. I think we should go after Michael Oher from Ole Miss or Andre Smith from Alabama.

Both can play either tackle position. Sam Baker can hold down the lefttackle position and Oher or Smith can guard the RT. Or the other way around.

Baker,Blaylock,and Oher or Smith would be stones on our Oline for years!:)