Ellis: No Contract Looming

bossFALCON™

Saints, Smith working on new contract

Top draft pick, Ellis, not in a hurry to sign

By LARRY HOLDER

METAIRIE, La. --

Although New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith sat out Tuesday's organized team activities session with a toe injury, the more encouraging part for the team was that Smith was in the building.

Smith ended his boycott of voluntary workouts and has been with the team the past two days. Smith's first offseason appearance with the team was during the weekend mandatory minicamp.

Smith wouldn't talk with the media following Tuesday's workout.

Saints coach Sean Payton was encouraged that Smith returned to train in the practice facility, but said a new deal for Smith isn't yet complete. Payton did say there's more than simply dialogue going on between Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and Joel Segal, Smith's agent.

"I think when the time comes there will be an announcement," Payton said. "But right now I know Mickey and his agent were working through the contract and trying to sort things out. There's nothing really new to announce."

Loomis didn't respond when asked for comment on Smith's contract talks.

Ellis won't sign soon - Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis won't be following the trend set by fellow first-round picks like Miami tackle Jake Long and Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan. Ellis doesn't figure he'll sign a contract with the Saints in the immediate future.

"I don't even think there's been any discussions," Ellis said.

Ellis doubts negotiations will begin until July and will wait to see what type of deal Kansas City defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey gets to help his own deal. The Chiefs took Dorsey at No. 5 and the Saints traded up to No. 7 to snag Ellis.

More injuries, transactions - Defensive tackle Brian Young also missed Tuesday's session with a left knee injury. It's the same knee Young had scoped during the middle of last season and missed four games because of the injury.

Payton said the recurrence of Young's knee injury wasn't a problem, but Young will likely sit out the next couple of days so the swelling can recede.

Young had been healthy throughout his seven-year career until last season. He fractured his foot during the 2007 offseason and missed nearly all of training camp. Following the knee injury, Young came back for two games only to go on injured reserve for the final three weeks with an illness.

Others who missed practice were center Jonathan Goodwin (birth in family), running back Pierre Thomas (right leg), safety Josh Bullocks (knee), cornerback Mike McKenzie (knee), tight end Eric Johnson (ankle), defensive tackle DeMario Pressley (foot), fullback Olaniyi Sobomehin (school), wide receiver Titus Ryan (hamstring), cornerback Greg Fassitt (hamstring), cornerback Jason David (groin) and tackle Carnell Stewart (ankle).

The Saints also signed two players after weekend tryouts, with cornerback Jerametrius Butler and center Marquay Love agreeing to deals. Linebacker Chris Graham was waived to make room.

Butler, who will enter his eighth season, started in St. Louis in 2003 and 2004, but a knee injury put his career in sort of tailspin. He most recently spent time in Buffalo. Love spent time in Miami during last year's training camp before being waived.

So practice is practice? - So what is the difference between minicamp and OTAs, besides the mandatory part of minicamp?

"This schedule is a little bit more abbreviated," Payton said. "There's only one practice, and of course it's optional. We're limited to how long they can be in the building from start to finish; there are constraints time-wise.

"It's a little quicker, we're not on the field quite as long, and there's only one practice. That being said, we're installing very much like we did in minicamp, but that would be the big difference."

WhenFalconsWin (6/8/2008)
joe horn (6/7/2008)
Laugh all you want, but the most amusing contract story for 2008 already has a winner.

*points at Arthur Blank* :laugh:

At least he's signed! There is no JaMarcus Russell story here my friend. Get Ellis signed stop being so cheap but then again you've already doled out $60 Mil for Reggie Bust (as in Bust) so I can see the Saints apprehension...I think you guys got a good one there, have Bust restructure his contract!

60 mil for a change of pace back. at least the guy we paid all the money for will START for our team.

bossFALCON"! (6/8/2008)
joe horn (6/7/2008)
Laugh all you want, but the most amusing contract story for 2008 already has a winner.

At least he's signed! There is no JaMarcus Russell story here my friend. Get Ellis signed stop being so cheap but then again you've already doled out $60 Mil for Reggie Bust (as in Bust) so I can see the Saints apprehension...I think you guys got a good one there, have Bust restructure his contract!

60 mil for a change of pace back. at least the guy we paid all the money for will START for our team.

Reggie is a all-around weapon.

You better hope Mr.Ryan lives up to his contract...cause' if he doesn't then that's a killer for your cap for years to come. :w00t:

BlahBlah WoofWoof (6/8/2008)
bossFALCON"! (6/8/2008)
joe horn (6/7/2008)

Reggie is a all-around weapon.

You better hope Mr.Ryan lives up to his contract...cause' if he doesn't then that's a killer for your cap for years to come. :w00t:

Bust is an all-around weapon!:w00t:  Ask Bust if he remembers Desmond Howard?...:w00t:;):hehe:

Wow, you really got me....

WhenFalconsWin (6/9/2008)
Regardless of who signs it, it is a fight between the Panther and the Saints for the worst D' in the south!
That's because the falcons other side of the ball is so terrible that they have been banded from saying that they have a D.

WhenFalconsWin (6/9/2008)

With some personnel changes and coach Smith working on our D'. I think will fare much better than the teams I previously mentioned!

Everyone thinks that their team would be better around this time of the year. Most at least.

WhenFalconsWin (6/11/2008)
Dago (6/11/2008)
Dago (6/10/2008)
kinda like how WhenFalconsWin looms over this board? :D

Hate, respect, jealousy...you make the call?:cool:

sardonic amusement?

Ironically truthful is the way I like to look at it...You can't help but mock some of the RC fans...the mocking is there for the taking!:hehe:

how ironic coming from you :D

Dago (6/11/2008)
Dago (6/11/2008)
Dago (6/10/2008)
kinda like how WhenFalconsWin looms over this board? :D

Hate, respect, jealousy...you make the call?:cool:

sardonic amusement?

Ironically truthful is the way I like to look at it...You can't help but mock some of the RC fans...the mocking is there for the taking!:hehe:

how ironic coming from you :D

Is this the new lighter and more playful side of Dago in 08'?

in a completely non-Jeff Garcia kind of way

WhenFalconsWin (6/13/2008)
Dago (6/12/2008)
it's going to be too bad if Garcia sits for the season...no more games of Grab-##### in the shower after practice

So that's what goes on in the buccies locker room!  With Chuckie leading the charge no doubt!:w00t:

Let's face it, Malcom Glazer wanted to make sure that Simms and Garcia would have to share the same shower.

That is all you need to know.