Having or Losing a job?? In Bad Times??

Shanny

Look at the price of gas and groceries for example.  Gas has quadrupled in the last ten years.  The price of groceries has nearly doubled in the past three years.  It was also reported today that the biggest jump in unemployment was made in over twenty years.  Power and utilities have also jumped up.  My average power bill three years ago was around 100 dollars a month.  The past six months it has nearly doubled.  I drive 60 miles/day to/from work.  Three years ago, my monthly gas bill was around $150 and it surpassed $400 this past month and this is just for my commute.  The same groceries I spent $50/week on three years ago now costs just under $100.  So, in essence my cost of living has gone from around $500/month to over $900/month.  $400+/month more is going to the same things as they did just three years ago!  That's nearly $5000/year of money that I can't have fun with or even put into savings for retirement.

All in this three years my paycheck has only increased about 15%.  Let's face it, we're going into a SERIOUS RECESSION folks.  The money I had for buying beer and buying food to entertain guests is simply not there anymore.  Where I used to spend $20 for a case of Bud has turned into spending $13 for a 30 pack of Miller or Natural Lite... Yuck!  So in essence, I drink less in a time when I have more than enough reasons to drink more!

I have a 'hot rod' Mustang that I can only take out about once a month now.  A V8, full sized pickup truck that is now only used to haul a weekly load of trash to the dump.  A boat (I live on a lake) that I used to take out 3-4 times/week goes out 3-4 times/month.  But I am fortunate as I do have a home that is paid for and have what is basically a recession-proof job in healthcare.  I still look forward to football season and watching most of my games on television.  $250 for season tickets?  I would normally do that but when you're also trying to support two others, you have to give up many of the things in order just to survive. 

This country appears to be going into a deep recession, possibly another depression.  We're only scratching the surface now.  What happens when fuel goes to $5/gallon?  $7/gallon or even $10/gallon?  It's not a matter of "If" it does, but "WHEN"?  Looks like I'll be selling out of my lake home soon and buying a home next to where I work so that I can commute by foot in a neighborhood that I find less than desireable....

falconfansince66 (6/6/2008)
Look at the price of gas and groceries for example.  Gas has quadrupled in the last ten years.  The price of groceries has nearly doubled in the past three years.  It was also reported today that the biggest jump in unemployment was made in over twenty years.  Power and utilities have also jumped up.  My average power bill three years ago was around 100 dollars a month.  The past six months it has nearly doubled.  I drive 60 miles/day to/from work.  Three years ago, my monthly gas bill was around $150 and it surpassed $400 this past month and this is just for my commute.  The same groceries I spent $50/week on three years ago now costs just under $100.  So, in essence my cost of living has gone from around $500/month to over $900/month.  $400+/month more is going to the same things as they did just three years ago!  That's nearly $5000/year of money that I can't have fun with or even put into savings for retirement.

All in this three years my paycheck has only increased about 15%.  Let's face it, we're going into a SERIOUS RECESSION folks.  The money I had for buying beer and buying food to entertain guests is simply not there anymore.  Where I used to spend $20 for a case of Bud has turned into spending $13 for a 30 pack of Miller or Natural Lite... Yuck!  So in essence, I drink less in a time when I have more than enough reasons to drink more!

I have a 'hot rod' Mustang that I can only take out about once a month now.  A V8, full sized pickup truck that is now only used to haul a weekly load of trash to the dump.  A boat (I live on a lake) that I used to take out 3-4 times/week goes out 3-4 times/month.  But I am fortunate as I do have a home that is paid for and have what is basically a recession-proof job in healthcare.  I still look forward to football season and watching most of my games on television.  $250 for season tickets?  I would normally do that but when you're also trying to support two others, you have to give up many of the things in order just to survive. 

This country appears to be going into a deep recession, possibly another depression.  We're only scratching the surface now.  What happens when fuel goes to $5/gallon?  $7/gallon or even $10/gallon?  It's not a matter of "If" it does, but "WHEN"?  Looks like I'll be selling out of my lake home soon and buying a home next to where I work so that I can commute by foot in a neighborhood that I find less than desireable....

comnpany benefits also go up every year, medical, dental, life insurance 

REV.2000 (6/6/2008)
THIS REMINDS US ALL THAT THERE ARE MORE SERIOUS THINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD THAN WHO WE DRAFTED AND HOW MUCH THEY GOT PAID. YOUR POST IS A GOOD ONE, THANKS.:)

whats depressing is the pay these atheletes get for what they dovs. school teachers, policemen, firemen etc. we have our priorities backwards rewarding entertainers as we do and in some sense ignoring those that really make a difference like the teachers,

thats true

I wish I knew how to make a website.

If we could get a large number of people to not buy gas,things would change 

falcon fan n nc (6/6/2008)

thats true

if you could get a large number of people to buy necessitys and forget the luxaries and entertainment gas prices will come down

Shanny (6/6/2008)
I'm not sure. People are losing homes and they are worried about Matt Ryan.

Record number of foreclosures in the Atl and surrounding area.

Attendence will fall in all the sports and then what?

Gas prices are killing the economy. I can, but it's hard, to believe we dropped the ball like we did. Someone deserves to be homeless over letting this happen.

consistentfalcon (6/6/2008)

thats true

if you could get a large number of people to buy necessitys and forget the luxaries and entertainment gas prices will come down

Try telling that to the next woman you see that's driving the full sized SUV with one hand, and a cell phone attached to the other that she should get a minivan!  Try telling that to the people that fly down the interstate highways at 85+ MPH.  Try telling that to the overpaid sports pros driving around in their Ferraris and Lamborghinis.  Try telling NASCAR and other racing entities to shorten their races by 100 miles.  Try telling everyone that they should stay at home on their summer vacations instead of traveling.  Try telling yourself to only use your mode of transportation for going to/from work.  Try asking your employer if you can work four ten hour days instead of five eight hour days!  Try keeping your homes at 78 degrees and 65 degrees in the Winter instead of 72 degrees.  If EVERYONE made the sacrifices, then it could make a difference at the pump. 

Try telling that to the next woman you see that's driving the full sized SUV with one hand, and a cell phone attached to the other that she should get a minivan! Try telling that to the people that fly down the interstate highways at 85+ MPH. Try telling that to the overpaid sports pros driving around in their Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Try telling NASCAR and other racing entities to shorten their races by 100 miles. Try telling everyone that they should stay at home on their summer vacations instead of traveling. Try telling yourself to only use your mode of transportation for going to/from work. Try asking your employer if you can work four ten hour days instead of five eight hour days! Try keeping your homes at 78 degrees and 65 degrees in the Winter instead of 72 degrees. If EVERYONE made the sacrifices, then it could make a difference at the pump.

Sacrifices?? I can barely feed my family and get back and forth to work while my government is spending trillions in other countries. A hungry family is one **** of a sacrifice if you ask me.

REV.2000 (6/6/2008)
easymoney (6/6/2008)
The "economy" will be fine in atl as long as folks still like to smoke crack.

CRACK KILLS BRAIN CELLS. SO NOW WE KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF. I KNOW IT WASN'T "EASY" SINKING AS LOW AS YOU HAVE.

:hehe::D

Hey Rev, there is a requirement that you must have brain cells to begin with before you kill them!

REV.2000 (6/6/2008)
easymoney (6/6/2008)
The "economy" will be fine in atl as long as folks still like to smoke crack.

CRACK KILLS BRAIN CELLS. SO NOW WE KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF. I KNOW IT WASN'T "EASY" SINKING AS LOW AS YOU HAVE.

:hehe::D

Hey Rev, there is a requirement that you must have brain cells to begin with before you kill them!

YOU'RE RIGHT ....... NOTHING FROM NOTHING EQUALS TO NOTHING!

Look at the price of gas and groceries for example. Gas has quadrupled in the last ten years. The price of groceries has nearly doubled in the past three years. It was also reported today that the biggest jump in unemployment was made in over twenty years. Power and utilities have also jumped up. My average power bill three years ago was around 100 dollars a month. The past six months it has nearly doubled. I drive 60 miles/day to/from work. Three years ago, my monthly gas bill was around $150 and it surpassed $400 this past month and this is just for my commute. The same groceries I spent $50/week on three years ago now costs just under $100. So, in essence my cost of living has gone from around $500/month to over $900/month. $400+/month more is going to the same thingsas they did just three years ago! That's nearly $5000/year of money that I can't have fun with or even put into savings for retirement.

All in this three years my paycheck has only increased about 15%. Let's face it, we're going into a SERIOUS RECESSION folks. The money I had for buying beer and buying food to entertain guests is simply not there anymore. Where I used to spend $20 for a case of Bud has turned into spending $13 for a 30 pack of Miller or Natural Lite... Yuck! So in essence, I drink less in a time when I have more than enough reasons to drink more!

I have a 'hot rod' Mustang that I can only take out about once a month now. A V8, full sized pickup truck that is now only used to haul a weekly load of trash to the dump. A boat (I live on a lake) that I used to take out 3-4 times/week goes out 3-4 times/month. But I am fortunate as I do have a home that is paid for and have what is basically a recession-proof job in healthcare. I still look forward to football season and watching most of my games on television. $250 for season tickets? I would normally do that but when you're also trying to support two others, you have to give up many of the things in order just to survive.

This country appears to be going into a deep recession, possibly another depression. We're only scratching the surface now. What happens when fuel goes to $5/gallon? $7/gallon or even $10/gallon? It's not a matter of "If" it does, but "WHEN"? Looks like I'll be selling out of my lake home soon and buying a home next to where I work so that I can commute by foot in aneighborhood that I find less than desireable....

the economy will force the prices to go down as long as the government decides to stop sticking their nose throughout it. since things like price caps on milk and gas will probably be put in place when the new prez comes in office, we could be looking at a depression.

consistentfalcon (6/6/2008)
REV.2000 (6/6/2008)
THIS REMINDS US ALL THAT THERE ARE MORE SERIOUS THINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD THAN WHO WE DRAFTED AND HOW MUCH THEY GOT PAID. YOUR POST IS A GOOD ONE, THANKS.:)

whats depressing is the pay these atheletes get for what they dovs. school teachers, policemen, firemen etc. we have our priorities backwards rewarding entertainers as we do and in some sense ignoring those that really make a difference like the teachers,

it's not the governments fault for that, it's the people. if people discontinued to pay for entertainment the way they do ($12 movie tickets, jersies, game attendance, blazzy blah) and put more money through taxes for teachers, for the police force, the fire force all that then money wouldn't be thrown towards athletes as much. that's why you get money teaching at a university. you should all remember...it's the people that give the king power

thats true

If we could drill for oil in america things would change.

VTCrunkler (6/7/2008)
that is what i call preserverence.

phattywankenobi (6/6/2008)
I lost my job a couple of years back and went through a bunch of stress but you better believe I renewed my season tickets because I knew that it was a passing phase.

Amen to that.;) and 3 kids to take care of.  Live modestly on a daily basis and splurge every now and then if the situation permits.  I will be taking the express bus from Gwinnett for the Falcons home games.  Screw the oil tycoons domestic and foreign and the owners of the parking lots who don't adjust to demand and keep gouging.  I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth and I am stubbornly forsighted.:D

VTCrunkler (6/7/2008)
^^

there is an express bus from gwinnet to the dome?  how long has that been running?

gas is about 3.89 here, i here its aroud 4.00 in atl?

i think most of us are guilty of having a plastic spoon, knife and fork in our mouths!

I have been e-mailing them for years and I usually just get the BS, cost prohibitive thing but I just checked recently and they are actually running it on the weekends whereas it was usually just for the workweek.

I believe it is $6 round trip.  I am not sure what the schedule looks like for Sundays but for two people $12 is always better than $20 parking and $16 in gas.