The two BIGGEST unknowns heading into the season.....

magnus23

Alright - let's run through this ....

We know we are solid at:

1. Kickers

2. Running back

3. Linebacker

4. Wide Receiver

in that order...

I think we can be hopeful at the following positions...

1. QBs ... yes QBs ... anyway you slice it Redmen is a legit starting QB ... we also have the most pro-ready rookie QB on the roster that will soon follow him ... Harrington is a legit back-up ... and Shockley still has potential.

2. OLine - yes OLine ... our biggest problem last year were injuries .... followed by ##### poor coaching. Our two weakest spots along the line have been upgraded with top draft picks ...

Weiner is still solid when healthy .... Clabo is dominate at the guard position .... we have good depth with Foster and possibly Butterworth ... all players are crossed trained .... and we have majorly upgraded our OL coach.

3. Defensive End - Abe is a stud ... Biermann can give us options ... Davis is solid ... Jammal is the biggest question mark here ... but I think we will see 6 to 8 sacks out of him this year.

So here are the biggest question marks...

1. DTs - Babs has been solid as a number 2 ... but Rashad Moore, Kindall Moorehead, and Simon Fraser have to emerge as solid aquistions for Smith's system if the DLine is going to be effective. If Lewis can come back at full strength that changes everything.

2. DBs - We have a Bevy of "B" level DBs ... Jackson downgraded since he is a rookie ... Milloy because of his age ... Erik Coleman is an upgrade over Crocker - Decoud and Stone can provide decent depth at either safety position ... looks like Jimmy is a bust ... and does not fit this new teams culture. I think if we can generate a pass rush - Houston/Grimes/Jackson with Irons and Hutchins at nickel could be a solid defensive back-field. But again - it will depend on our pass rush since we are running a cover 2.

magnus23 (6/6/2008)

We know we are solid at:

1. Kickers

2. Running back

3. Linebacker

4. Wide Receiver

in that order...

1. QBs ... yes QBs ... anyway you slice it Redmen is a legit starting QB ... we also have the most pro-ready rookie QB on the roster that will soon follow him ... Harrington is a legit back-up ... and Shockley still has potential.

2. OLine - yes OLine ... our biggest problem last year were injuries .... followed by ##### poor coaching. Our two weakest spots along the line have been upgraded with top draft picks ...

Weiner is still solid when healthy .... Clabo is dominate at the guard position .... we have good depth with Foster and possibly Butterworth ... all players are crossed trained .... and we have majorly upgraded our OL coach.

3. Defensive End - Abe is a stud ... Biermann can give us options ... Davis is solid ... Jammal is the biggest question mark here ... but I think we will see 6 to 8 sacks out of him this year.

1. DTs - Babs has been solid as a number 2 ... but Rashad Moore, Kindall Moorehead, and Simon Fraser have to emerge as solid aquistions for Smith's system if the DLine is going to be effective. If Lewis can come back at full strength that changes everything.

2. DBs - We have a Bevy of "B" level DBs ... Jackson downgraded since he is a rookie ... Milloy because of his age ... Erik Coleman is an upgrade over Crocker - Decoud and Stone can provide decent depth at either safety position ... looks like Jimmy is a bust ... and does not fit this new teams culture. I think if we can generate a pass rush - Houston/Grimes/Jackson with Irons and Hutchins at nickel could be a solid defensive back-field. But again - it will depend on our pass rush since we are running a cover 2.

Ok if you make a list of positions that you are solid on, And Kicker is number #1 on the list, you know its gonna be a long season...:P

how can u say jimmy is a bust when this season hasnt even started yet? he has been under 2 different coaches, 2 different schemes, and keep in mind he is still young, so he hasnt had that much time to adjust. he wasnt being used correctly i bet under both coaches, i would rather see him playing nickle than safety myself. its not right to call him a bust until he gets a chance to get out of the field and prove himself..now jamaal anderson, now thats the defination of  a big time busts.

crankthatbatman (6/6/2008)
how can u say jimmy is a bust when this season hasnt even started yet? he has been under2 different coaches, 2 different schemes, and keep in mind he is still young, so he hasnt had that much time to adjust. he wasnt being used correctly i bet under both coaches, i would rather see him playing nickle than safety myself. its not right to call him a bust until he gets a chance to get out of the field and prove himself..now jamaal anderson, now thats the defination of a big time busts.

I am hopeful for Jimmy Williams but based on his off-field conditioning is he is in a downward spiral.

Jammal on the other hand has lost 10 pounds and is being properly coached for the first time.

He is only 21 ... there is no way he can be labeled a bust yet.

bucman (6/6/2008)
magnus23 (6/6/2008)

We know we are solid at:

1. Kickers

2. Running back

3. Linebacker

4. Wide Receiver

in that order...

Ok if you make a list of positions that you are solid on, And Kicker is number #1 on the list, you know its gonna be a long season...:P

That is a silly comment.

We lost three or four games last season because of kicking.

bucman (6/6/2008)
magnus23 (6/6/2008)

We know we are solid at:

1. Kickers

2. Running back

3. Linebacker

4. Wide Receiver

in that order...

because we now have the 2nd best kicker in the game behind vinatieri. if you guys had elam on your team he'd probably be your #1 too. plus we have had some MAJOR kicking problems for the last couple of seasons. shoot if we had elam the first 2 games we WOULD have started off 2-0 for sure.

bucman (6/6/2008)
To be honest Boss I am jealous of your Kicker...I admit it, I wish bryant could make a 63 yard field goal.:P

elam made a 63 yarder too. bryant isnt special.:P

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonelam/profile?id=ELA548409

bryant hasnt made more than a 62. our kicker is better!:P

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattbryant/profile?id=BRY500226

how can u say jimmy is a bust when this season hasnt even started yet? he has been under 2 different coaches, 2 different schemes, and keep in mind he is still young, so he hasnt had that much time to adjust. he wasnt being used correctly i bet under both coaches, i would rather see him playing nickle than safety myself. its not right to call him a bust until he gets a chance to get out of the field and prove himself..now jamaal anderson, now thats the defination of  a big time busts.

So a one year player that amassed 30 tackles, 26 solo, along with 3 passes defensed and a forced fumble as a rookie is a bigger bust than a 2 year player that amassed 40 tackles, 34 solo, 3 passes defensed and one INT?  Did you go to Virginia Tech?

bossFALCON"! (6/6/2008)
bucman (6/6/2008)
To be honest Boss I am jealous of your Kicker...I admit it, I wish bryant could make a 63 yard field goal.:P

elam made a 63 yarder too. bryant isnt special.:P

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonelam/profile?id=ELA548409

bryant hasnt made more than a 62. our kicker is better!:P

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattbryant/profile?id=BRY500226

I KNOW ELEM CAN MAKE A 62 YARDER... I wasn't bashin on him:D

pzummo (6/6/2008)

So a one year player that amassed 30 tackles, 26 solo, along with 3 passes defensed and a forced fumble as a rookie is a bigger bust than a 2 year player that amassed 40 tackles, 34 solo, 3 passes defensed and one INT?  Did you go to Virginia Tech?

no i dont go to vtech, but for a player who played full time like anderson did, and still only getting those numbers, not to mention a top 10 pick in the draft, no sacks, yes i would say he is a bigger bust then williams right now. jimmy hasnt even had the chance to play fulltime, so with numbers like those for a player who hasnt played fulltime, i say those are good numbers.

pzummo (6/6/2008)

no i dont go to vtech, but for a player who played full time like anderson did, and still only getting those numbers, not to mention a top 10 pick in the draft, no sacks, yes i would say he is a bigger bust then williams right now. jimmy hasnt even had the chance to play fulltime, so with numbers like those for a player who hasnt played fulltime, i say those are good numbers.

Maybe there's a reason Williams hasn't played fulltime? Maybe because he hasn't earned it?

BillyWitchDoctor (6/6/2008)
pzummo (6/6/2008)

Maybe there's a reason Williams hasn't played fulltime? Maybe because he hasn't earned it?

or maybe the coaches played the loyalty game to the vets on the team ala keith brooking, malloy, crocker when he was on the team. you know jimmy was not going to take a veterans spot on the defense. he played a little nickle back but thats about it.

pzummo (6/6/2008)

How can u say Jamaal is a bust when last season he was being trained by a college level coaching system?  Keep in mind he is still young, so he hasnt had that much time to play and get experience. Its not right to call him a bust until he gets a chance to work with the new coaches and prove himself..now Jimmy Williams, that's the definition of a big time bust!

falconfansince66 (6/6/2008)
pzummo (6/6/2008)

How can u say Jamaal is a bust when last season he was being trained by a college level coaching system?  Keep in mind he is still young, so he hasnt had that much time to play and get experience. Its not right to call him a bust until he gets a chance to work with the new coaches and prove himself..now Jimmy Williams, that's the definition of a big time bust!

was jimmy drafted top 10???NO, was jimmy playing full time???NO. who cares if jammal was being trained by a college level system. so was everybody else then, and no one had a badder season than jammal had. when u drafted top 10, u have expectations to meet especially when u get a big contract.

brvslugger10 (6/6/2008)
FB is set too

mughelli and snelling. if you ask me both are suspect until they are used properly. i thought mughelli was gonna come in here and make big holes for dunn when he got signed, but as we saw, that didnt happen. im hoping the new coaching staff can get him used like he was being used in baltimore making holes for jamal lewis.

i thought mughelli was gonna come in here and make big holes for dunn when he got signed, but as we saw, that didnt happen. im hoping the new coaching staff can get him used like he was being used in baltimore making holes for jamal lewis.
Mughelli was barely used. Petrino liked using single back sets with Dunn for some reason. And to put the cherry on top, he ran right up the gut for a 1 yard gain. Mughelli will be used a lot in this run heavy offense.

heretic (6/6/2008)
DT, S and Cb.

Our 2009 picks (in the right order)

;)

Well said...I couldn't agree more...

The reports on Brent Grimes and Laurent Robinson have me mucho gusto excited, however...

I'm anxious to see if the Redman/Ryan situation develops into a D. Anderson/Quinn or D. Brees/Rivers situation...and if Shockley becomes another Kordell Stewart or Seneca Wallace--an athletic QB destined to ride the bench as a backup...

I feel as though we don't have a No. 1 DT and likely won't until T. Lewis is healthy again...everyone involved on the interior will be rotated in/out to be fresh and highly active...

Wideouts really excite me this year...they could be something special...I wonder if Stephen Nicholas is good enough to push Brooking into a backup role...

The O-line will hopefully perform better than expected, but not likely...they could should be better than most doomsayers predict though...

"But whateva...I just laugh wit it...cuz today's fan is tomorrow's rap critic.."

I forgot Jimmy Williams was still on the roster...

you say if we had Elam in our first two games we would have won them - well, if we had had Mort instead of Prater we would have won them - 2nd year running old faithful had to bail us out.

This year, that should not be the case - or I will start to worry about the position as kicker for the falcons ;-)