OUR O-LINE WILL BE BETTER THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK

magnus23

magnus23 (6/6/2008)

BAKER - BLALOCK - MCCLURE - CLABO - WEINER

Being coached by probably the best OL coach in the league.

There is nothing bad about that line.

Interior d-line however - could be another story.

I'm glad to know who our starters will be.:)

LADBABY (6/6/2008)
magnus23 (6/6/2008)

I'm glad to know who our starters will be.:)

Well Forney is still in the mix.

If we can remain healthy I think we will surprise people. I mean if Norwood can average 6 YPC behind that thing we called an OL last year, imagine what he would do behind a average to above average OL. :w00t:

BillyWitchDoctor (6/6/2008)
If we can remain healthy I think we will surprise people. I mean if Norwood can average 6 YPC behind that thing we called an OL last year, imagine what he would do behind a average to above average OL. :w00t:

How did the O-line get so much better with us drafting one player?

With the exception of the left side of the o-line these are the same guys that had problems with protection with Reeves, Mora, and Petrino...

I hate to say this but I don't think a coaching change is going to make THAT much of an improvement because we've already had several of them and pass protection has consistently been a problem.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/6/2008)
BillyWitchDoctor (6/6/2008)

How did the O-line get so much better with us drafting one player?

With the exception of the left side of the o-line these are the same guys that had problems with protection with Reeves, Mora, and Petrino...

I hate to say this but I don't think a coaching change is going to make THAT much of an improvement because we've already had several of them and pass protection has consistently been a problem.

Under Reeves we had an o-line coach that had not been around very long, Gibbs was good at run blocking but did not care much about pass blocking. Under BP it just did not work period plus the injuries. this year should be much better than last year if everone is healthy along with a proven o-line coach. It should be better than it has been in years with the potential to be even better over time.

Under Reeves we had an o-line coach that had not been around very long, Gibbs was good at run blocking but did not care much about pass blocking. Under BP it just did not work period plus the injuries. this year should be much better than last year if everone is healthy along with a proven o-line coach. It should be better than it has been in years with the potential to be even better over time.

Dude,  do you even remember Denver durng the Elway years?  Gibbs did not care much about pass blocking?  Yeah... that's why he's thought of as one if not THE best offensive line coach in the NFL. 

I've never heard of that criticism until he was here. Did you ever think the QB we had may have created some of the sacks?  We now know he had a terrible work ethic and wasn't that smart to begin with AND football was never his main focus...

And which Reeves O-line coach are you talking about?  He had several and technically the best pass and run blocking we've had during a season in the last decade was while he was the head coach... remember 1998?

I do think the o-line coach we have now is an improvement but you guys are acting like he's going to turn water into wine and perform miracles.

I understand the optimism but you have to realistically look at the situation or you're going to be dissapointed when things get serious.

magnus23 (6/6/2008)

Now ....................if they JUST can stay healthy.

Almost an impossibility today in the war zone known as the NFL trenches.

I've got MY fingers crossed.

easymoney (6/6/2008)
OMG  did any of you losers ever think that maybe the reason your O linemen stay hurt all the time is because there a bunch of puddy-tats?

I guess asking you for intelligent input would be too much to ask.

Also... who says "puddy-tats" anymore?

It seems that there are more players competing for the guard and center positions this year than in years past.  This is partially due to people we added last year when the injury bug struck, and also because of several off-season FA signings.

NFL teams usually carry 5 (no more than 6) players at OG/C.  It looks like we'll have to cut some decent talent.  Maybe we can hide some of them on the PS, IR, or PUP lists.

Who stays, who goes?

OG -- Blalock, Forney, Clabo, Batiste, Dahl, Pennington, McCoy, Quarterman (Ojinnaka, Datish, Stepanovich have also practiced at guard)

C -- McClure, Stepanovich, Datish, Wilkerson

Now, the OT position is another story.  Baker & Weiner could be decent by mid-season if Sam steps-up and Todd's knee is sound.  Behind them I guess its Foster, Ojinnaka and Butterworth for now.  There are many top rated OT's in next year's draft.  We need to get one.  

Who stays, who goes?

OG -- Blalock, Forney, Clabo, Batiste, Dahl, Pennington, McCoy, Quarterman (Ojinnaka, Datish, Stepanovich have also practiced at guard)

C -- McClure, Stepanovich, Datish, Wilkerson

Now, the OT position is another story.  Baker & Weiner could be decent by mid-season if Sam steps-up and Todd's knee is sound.  Behind them I guess its Foster, Ojinnaka and Butterworth for now.  There are many top rated OT's in next year's draft.  We need to get one.  

The ones bolded stay

Actually I think they will only keep 9, but here what I see with 10

Pos

1st String

2nd String

Practice Squad

Gone

Gone

LT

Sam Baker

Q Ojinnaka

H Dahl

LG

J Blalock

A Stepanovich

D Batiste

C

T McClure

B Wilkerson

D Datish

RG

K Forney

T Clabo

T. Pennington

Quarterman

RT

T Weiner

R Foster

M Butterworth

P McCoy

I love my Falcons, but I simply cannot agree with this one. I have been hearing excuse after excuse for this oline for years and I haven't seen enough changes. I like Sam Baker, but he is not enough. These are the same group of human turnstiles we've seen for years, and I really believe it will be the same until we get smart and overhaul this line big time.

dyoshot (6/7/2008)
I love my Falcons, but I simply cannot agree with this one. I have been hearing excuse after excuse for this oline for years and I haven't seen enough changes. I like Sam Baker, but he is not enough. These are the same group of human turnstiles we've seen for years, and I really believe it will be the same until we get smart and overhaul this line big time.

Baker

Blalock

McClure

Clabo

Foster

Sound like big enough overhaul for you? That could really be our starting line-up this season. Maybe replace one of our right side linemen with Forney or Weiner, but Clabo will most likely be starting somewhere this year. He was above average at RT and was dominant at the RG position.

The Falcon Ace (6/7/2008)
dyoshot (6/7/2008)

Baker

Blalock

McClure

Clabo

Foster

Sound like big enough overhaul for you? That could really be our starting line-up this season. Maybe replace one of our right side linemen with Forney or Weiner, but Clabo will most likely be starting somewhere this year. He was above average at RT and was dominant at the RG position.

No disrespect because I agree with about 95% of what you post, but I almost spit my Vitamin Water out when I read this. Clabo was not horrible, he was actually pretty good, but he was far from dominant. Weiner is pretty beat up, but I'd much rather see him starting that Foster any day. I know it may seem like I'm trolling because I have 0 faith in our oline, but people ripped me on this board when I didn't have any faith in our safeties before the 2005 season. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're bringing this post back to make me eat crow, but I've just seen horrible oline play from this team for years and I hope this is different.