How can we NOT be better than last year?

I just don't understand why everyone is picking us to be the worst team in football.  To me that means 3-4 wins.  To me, it's a no-brainer that our offense got a WHOLE LOT better over the offseason.  Our linebackers, DEs, and safeties will be better.  The DTs and corners worry me though. 

Until Trey Lewis gets healthy the defense may struggle.  But if Lofton is as good as they say and can take over MLB we may be okay. 

Alge was a good player, but not a blocker.  Coleman was a shell of his former self.  I still think D Hall is overrated and a lot of the players resented him for various reasons. 

No question we have better coaches.  I truly think the biggest difference we will see this year is the offensive line and the running game.  I can't wait.  Last in the league - no way in ****. 

Until we get our first back to back winning seasons and inbue an aura of winning, we're going to have to endure being slammed in the media regardless of how many offseason changes we've made.

2007 is still ripe in the minds of many outside of the Falcons Nation.

high voltage (6/4/2008)
I just don't understand why everyone is picking us to be the worst team in football.  To me that means 3-4 wins.  To me, it's a no-brainer that our offense got a WHOLE LOT better over the offseason.  Our linebackers, DEs, and safeties will be better.  The DTs and corners worry me though. 

Until Trey Lewis gets healthy the defense may struggle.  But if Lofton is as good as they say and can take over MLB we may be okay. 

Alge was a good player, but not a blocker.  Coleman was a shell of his former self.  I still think D Hall is overrated and a lot of the players resented him for various reasons. 

No question we have better coaches.  I truly think the biggest difference we will see this year is the offensive line and the running game.  I can't wait.  Last in the league - no way in ****. 

hells yeah i agree...way to stay positive..i dont mind it tho..they can hate all they want it, just gives us an advantage..flying under tha radar :)

Because to the media we have a lot of unproven things.

Unproven Coach when it comes to being a Head Coach in the NFL.

Unproven GM

Unproven Starting QB if Matt Ryan starts.

Unproven Starting RB, because we don't know how Turner will react to being the "main guy"

At the of end of the day the players can prove the Media wrong. The media means nothing.

Statick (6/4/2008)
Until we get our first back to back winning seasons and inbue an aura of winning, we're going to have to endure being slammed in the media regardless of how many offseason changes we've made.

2007 is still ripe in the minds of many outside of the Falcons Nation.

AND IT'S GOING TO STAY RIPE IN THE MINDS  OUTSIDE THE FALCON NATION AND WITH SOME ON THE INSIDE TOO, IF THE MEDIA HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT.  THE BEST THING WE CAN DO IS BUCKLE OUR CHINSTRAPS AND GET A "US AGAINST THE WORLD" ATTITUDE. WE DESPERATELY NEED THE BACK-TO-BACK WINNING SEASONS THAT YOU REFER TO. I THINK WHEN WE PUT TWO OF 'EM TOGETHER THIS FRANCHISE WILL TAKEOFF. :)

If we don't get it done is how. By now I have seen it

all from football teams and some of them don't come

together, period. TD has done a laundry list of possible

improvements. Go down them and you can check them

off; kicking-check, o line-check, rb-check, lb-check, db-

check, dl-check, st-check,etc. Now it just has to come into

team form and function.

falconfansince66 (6/4/2008)
What I don't understand is how Miami got BETTER than us overnight?

BETTER WHERE? ON PAPER? WAIT TILL WE GET THE RESULTS FROM THE FIELD OF PLAY. THEY SAY MIAMI IS BETTER. THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE RIGHT ...... DO THEY? YOU CAN COLLECT BETTER PLAYERS .... BUT THAT WON'T MAKE YOU A BETTER TEAM.  COLLECTION IS NOT THE KEY, CHEMISTRY IS. IF WE GET THE  RIGHT CHEMISTRY, THE RIGHT FORMULA OF TEAM CONCEPT, THIS FALCON TEAM CAN BE DANGEROUS. AND A LOT OF THE MEDIA KNOWS THIS ...... THEY'RE AFRAID TO SAY IT ABOUT "THE FALCONS.":)

what the media predicts as far as worst & best doesnt matter much to me. theres always a surprise team, maybe us this year.....imo we will be better than the dolphins,rams,arizona(maybe),lions,& cincy....also i believe we wont get swept by anyone in our div. our biggest disadvantage is how young & inexperienced we are. we will need the vets that we have to help the coaches teach from a different perspective...we can win AT LEAST 5 games this year imo

I think we're in a WAY better position than they are.  This Jason Taylor deal is becoming a big distraction.  Also, I think having your GM run the team is gonna fail.  The last thing a new head coach needs is a GM telling him how to do his job.  That's not the GM's job but you know that's what's happening. 

You want proof - look at Kansas City last year.  Herm Edwards came in but wasn't allowed to bring his offensive coordinator.  Carl Peterson made the pick and that guy got fired after one year.  The head coach should be just that, the head coach. 

REV.2000 (6/4/2008)

BETTER WHERE? ON PAPER? WAIT TILL WE GET THE RESULTS FROM THE FIELD OF PLAY. THEY SAY MIAMI IS BETTER. THEY DON'T HAVE TO BE RIGHT ...... DO THEY? YOU CAN COLLECT BETTER PLAYERS .... BUT THAT WON'T MAKE YOU A BETTER TEAM.  COLLECTION IS NOT THE KEY, CHEMISTRY IS. IF WE GET THE  RIGHT CHEMISTRY, THE RIGHT FORMULA OF TEAM CONCEPT, THIS FALCON TEAM CAN BE DANGEROUS. AND A LOT OF THE MEDIA KNOWS THIS ...... THEY'RE AFRAID TO SAY IT ABOUT "THE FALCONS.":)

Supposedly because of the Tuna...:crazy:Don't believe the hype.

I agree with the creator of this thread...new coaches, new QBs, new schemes, no Petrino, no loud mouths (well Horn we'll have to wait and see), no dogfighting or allegations of waterbottles, watches and enterages (sp?).  I'll be happy with 8-8...:cool:

i agree, if they didnt have parcells the media would be whooping on the dolphins all day and all night.

i also agree with someone else about parcells running the fins like he is their head coach. i've heard more about parcells than sparano and their GM (i've barely even heard of him so im not even sure if i know his name!!!:w00t: ) you would think parcells was the coach.

I think we'll win 6 games this season.  Even if we don't, as long as we show some improvement during the season and fill the rest of the holes up next offseason, I could see us finally getting the monkey off of our backs in 2009/2010...

That's how I see it.  I see 6 wins with Ryan coming in about midway through the season and picking up 2-3 wins.  We'll shore up the lines in the offseason (next year's draft is loaded) and be competitive in '09-'10. 

Shaud (6/4/2008)
Because to the media we have a lot of unproven things.

Unproven Coach when it comes to being a Head Coach in the NFL.

Unproven GM

Unproven Starting QB if Matt Ryan starts.

Unproven Starting RB, because we don't know how Turner will react to being the "main guy"

At the of end of the day the players can prove the Media wrong. The media means nothing.

Well stated.

I don't post very often cause I try to only be involved in posative energy! :D I like the optimism of this post and I am excited about this season. Last year was **** and at least we have lots of new stuff in place. With a little luck - team chemistry plus other - we could have a great year. I wait till the preseason is over to make my record prediction, but we will not be at the bottom.

SEAN 130

high voltage (6/4/2008)

because if matt ryan starts the falcons will be lucky to win even 1 game, and they will automatically be the worst offense in the league, along with commiting the most turnovers, as almost every rookie qb who comes in and starts right away has done.

smittty (6/4/2008)
high voltage (6/4/2008)

because if matt ryan starts the falcons will be lucky to win even 1 game, and they will automatically be the worst offense in the league, along with commiting the most turnovers, as almost every rookie qb who comes in and starts right away has done.

Matt Ryan ain't starting.  If he does, then I have even more confidence because that means he beat out Redman and I think Redman will get us 6 wins this year. 

high voltage (6/4/2008)
smittty (6/4/2008)
high voltage (6/4/2008)

Matt Ryan ain't starting.  If he does, then I have even more confidence because that means he beat out Redman and I think Redman will get us 6 wins this year. 

well the people that are ranking us the worst team in the nfl next season are doing so because they believe ryan will start right away.

if redman starts, we wont be the worst team in the nfl, we'll just be like the second worst

HC

Petrino- 1st year HC that was not liked by his team. was an experienced college HC but never accomplished as Coordinator in the NFL.

Smith- 1st year HC that is liked by his players.  Has been successful as a DC and a DL coach in the NFL.

Both unproven as a HC but Smith more proven in the NFL as a coach.

OL

Mike Summers- College coach out of his league

Paul Boudreau- an experienced NFL coach

vast improvement.

DL

Ray Hamilton- a proven NFL coach and ran a beast of a DL for the Jags.

Kevin Wolthausen- A inexperienced college coach that did not even run a good group in college

vast improvement.

GM unproven

DC unproven

coach unproven as a HC

QB unproven

RB unproven as a starter.

are there unanswered questions, yes. but that is to be expected rebuilding.  This team went is in an over haul of player to bring in young players that can play in this system.  Are we going to be worse than last year.  I do not think so.  I think we have much better overall coaching and a team that can have better chemistry.  I look forward to watching the growing process of the young players it "could" be something special if our GM is the real deal.