UGA defensive end Lomax arrested

freakyfalcon

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/04/08

Georgia defensive end Jeremy Lomax was arrested and jailed for carrying a concealed weapon and speeding at 12:42 a.m. Wednesday, according to the Athens-Clarke County Jail report.

Lomax is the fourth Georgia player arrested this offseason. The senior from Jonesboro posted a $3,000 bond and was released at 1:30 a.m.

Georgia coach Mark Richt is aware of the arrest, university spokesman Claude Felton said. A suspension, if there is to be any, has not been handed down.

Lomax, who played in 11 games last season, has been battling for a starting spot in 2008. The 6-4, 247-pound player has had an injury-plagued career but was healthy throughout spring.

Georgia fullback Fred Munzenmaier and defensive back Donavon Baldwin were arrested in January and suspended. Munzenmaier will miss the first two games. Baldwin is out the first game.

Offensive lineman Clint Boling was arrested for driving under the influence. Boling is fighting the charge. He has not been suspended.

Here is an update, it looks like since the gun was under the seat that is a violation, but if it was on top of the seat or in the glove box it wouldn't have been. Yep that makes sense.. :crazy: It also wasn't loaded.

From ABH:

"Lomax would not have faced the weapons charge if the gun had been in the glove compartment, according to Maj. Carter Green of the Athens-Clarke County police department.

"The fact that he had it under the seat is what makes it a violation," Green said. "It was in an area not allowed under Georgia law without a permit. If he had it in the glove box, it wouldn t have been an issue. If it had been on the seat next to him, it wouldn t have been an issue. If it had been in the center console, it wouldn t have been an issue."

I just don't understand what is so hard for some guys about not getting into trouble with the law. Especially a guy like Lomax who is competing for a starting job on a team with national championship potential and has one last year to get the attention of NFL scouts. Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

halsey (6/5/2008)
I just don't understand what is so hard for some guys about not getting into trouble with the law. Especially a guy like Lomax who is competing for a starting job on a team with national championship potential and has one last year to get the attention of NFL scouts. Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

I dont know about all of that. The guy was speeding, had a registered gun under his seat, and didnt spend any time in jail... Sounds like he caught a BS charge to me.

mbrizzle (6/5/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

I dont know about all of that. The guy was speeding, had a registered gun under his seat, and didnt spend any time in jail... Sounds like he caught a BS charge to me.

Having a registered gun doesn't mean having a concealed weapon permit, so trying to paint Lomax as a victim doesn't really fly. You'll probably reply by saying that he has a right to carry a conceal weapon, but according to the law he doesn't. Whether or not you agree with it doesn't mean he won't get jailed for it.

halsey (6/5/2008)
mbrizzle (6/5/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

I dont know about all of that. The guy was speeding, had a registered gun under his seat, and didnt spend any time in jail... Sounds like he caughta BS charge to me.

Having a registered gun doesn't mean having a concealed weapon permit, so trying to paint Lomax as a victim doesn't really fly. You'll probably reply by saying that he has a right to carry a conceal weapon, but according to the law he doesn't. Whether or not you agree with it doesn't mean he won't get jailed for it.

First off what you said above is not correct. If he had concealed it in his glovebox, under clothes on top of his passenger seat, in the backseat, or inside the console in his car it would have been okay. That would still be concealed. He had it empty under the passenger seat. That's all he did. He legally had a right to have that gun period. As of July 1st the law changes and under the passenger seat is now legal. So if this happens a month from now it's fine, but it isn't. He has every right to have a gun in his car concealed just not under the seat. He was asked after he was speeding if he had a gun and he was honest with the police officer. They then asked him to search his vehicle and he told them yes so they found it. I have been with friends before who made the same mistake and was given a warning and not arrested. Each police officer deals with it differently.

"They were just doing their job," Lomax said. "I am not mad or upset with them. It was just my mistake. I thought one thing and it was another. I am mainly just frustrated with myself."

I'm gonna go ahead and take Lomax's word for it. If you're going to carry a gun you better know the law. Especially if you're carrying it in your car while doing 25 over the speed limit. Ignorance is not an excuse. It was a dumb mistake and he knows it.

and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he really did think it was ok.

halsey (6/5/2008)

"They were just doing their job," Lomax said. "I am not mad or upset with them. It was just my mistake. I thought one thing and it was another. I am mainly just frustrated with myself."

I'm gonna go ahead and take Lomax's word for it. If you're going to carry a gun you better know the law. Especially if you're carrying it in your car while doing 25 over the speed limit. Ignorance is not an excuse. It was a dumb mistake and he knows it.

and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he really did think it was ok.

Of course it was a dumb mistake, aren't most mistakes dumb in the first place. He is contrite because he knows he should have paid better attention and had it in another spot than under the passenger seat. Of course on July 1st he can have it under there and it's no issue. What do you expect him to say man "Umm the police officer could have given me a warning as they do others who make a dumb mistake, but instead the officer decided to arrest me for something that is quite stupid.. oh wait that's not contrite enough." This was a situation that i have seen handled differently a number of times. He is kicking himself because he knows he could have had it in his console and everything would be fine.

SacFalcFan (6/6/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

Of course it was a dumb mistake, aren't most mistakes dumb in the first place. He is contrite because he knows he should have paid better attention and had it in another spot than under the passenger seat. Of course on July 1st he can have it under there and it's no issue. What do you expect him to say man "Umm the police officer could have given me a warning as they do others who make a dumb mistake, but instead the officer decided to arrest me for something that is quite stupid.. oh wait that's not contrite enough." This was a situation that i have seen handled differently a number of times. He is kicking himself because he knows he could have had it in his console and everything would be fine.

Wondering how Coch Richt is viewing this as opposed to previous player transgressions?

halsey (6/5/2008)
mbrizzle (6/5/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

Calm the ##### down dude. Dont tell me I'm trying to paint him as a victim or how I'll respond. That's so childish. I personally think he just made an honest mistake. He broke a law that wont exist in 24 days. I just dont think it's anywhere in the same ball park of getting hammered and then getting behind the wheel of a car.

mbrizzle (6/6/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)
mbrizzle (6/5/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

Calm the ##### down dude.

Whatever, i'm not gonna argue it any further.

25 miles per hour over the speed limit + not following gun laws = jail

Don't like it? Write your congressman or deal with it. 

SacFalcFan (6/6/2008)
Headshot (6/6/2008)
Thank God this wasn't a Florida player. There would be 10+ pages of Urban Meyer bashing from Pit and VH. It's a good thing it was one of the saintly UGA players, or this story would be a lot worse.

:rolleyes:

Roll em all you want, you know it's 100% true.

Headshot (6/6/2008)
SacFalcFan (6/6/2008)
Headshot (6/6/2008)
Thank God this wasn't a Florida player. There would be 10+ pages of Urban Meyer bashing from Pit and VH. It's a good thing it was one of the saintly UGA players, or this story would be a lot worse.

:rolleyes:

Roll em all you want, you know it's 100% true.

Yeah because you said it then it's true. You think this is any better? Calling them out in this thread. How often do uga fans in the other threads come in and say the opposite and don't bash meyer. It's often. How about instead of calling them out and making comments like saintly uga players you just respond to the thread in question or avoid it all together.

• 4 weeks later...
mbrizzle (6/6/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)
mbrizzle (6/5/2008)
halsey (6/5/2008)

I dont know about all of that. The guy was speeding, had a registered gun under his seat, and didnt spend any time in jail... Sounds like he caughta BS charge to me.

Calm the ##### down dude. Dont tell me I'm trying to paint him as a victim or how I'll respond. That's so childish. I personally think he just made an honest mistake. He broke a law that wont exist in 24 days. I just dont think it's anywhere in the same ball park of getting hammered and then getting behind the wheel of a car.

As I have said from the very beginning this was an idiotic and bogus charge and the authorities agreed.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/3/2008)
SacFalcFan (7/3/2008)
As I have said from the very beginning this was an idiotic and bogus charge and the authorities agreed.
Did they drop the charges, Sac?

that is what I read. it was idiotic in the freaking first place.. great to see even the authorities had common sense.

SacFalcFan (7/3/2008)
that is what I read. it was idiotic in the freaking first place.. great to see even the authorities had common sense.
Good. They needed to be.

Glad to see Common sense prevailed.

Hopefully the same happens for Sturdy and Bean.

None of those 3 should even be internally disciplined.

SteelerDawg6481 (7/3/2008)
SacFalcFan (7/3/2008)
Good. They needed to be.

Glad to see Common sense prevailed.

Hopefully the same happens for Sturdy and Bean.

None of those 3 should even be internally disciplined.

the jeremy lomax situation is a great one to follow.. He was upfront and honest with the police officer and did everything he was asked. The department even realize the idiocy of the charges. Also Lomax will not be punished whatsoever and he shouldn't be.