Jamaal Anderson was only 20 years old last year - just a kid

This team is really, really young.  Take a look at our roster.  I'll bet most of you will be surprised.  Anderson was the youngest player on the team last year.  He's got a lot of maturing to do.  Also the guy is a converted WR.  He just needs the snaps.  Rome wasn't built in a day folks. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

high voltage (6/3/2008)
This team is really, really young.  Take a look at our roster.  I'll bet most of you will be surprised.  Anderson was the youngest player on the team last year.  He's got a lot of maturing to do.  Also the guy is a converted WR.  He just needs the snaps.  Rome wasn't built in a day folks. 

That's why you don't draft guys like that with a top 10 pick.

His contract alone demands immediate production.  This isn't as much of a knock on him but the decision to take him.

The Browns and Bucs got production out of their guys.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
high voltage (6/3/2008)

His contract alone demands immediate production.  This isn't as much of a knock on him but the decision to take him.

yup.what he said.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
high voltage (6/3/2008)

Clev picked 3rd and the Bucs 4th.  We picked 8th.  Do the math.  So far, it looks like Patrick Willis should've been the pick but JA has more upside.  Nearly everyone here was sreaming for Calvin Johnson.  Talk about a major disappointment.  Imagine if we had traded up for him and he had a similar season here.  This MB would explode.

Jamaal will come around.  The guy is young and still learning the position.  DE usually takes time to develop in the NFL anyway.  Look at Mario Williams.  He had a terrible rookie year and he's got more experience than Anderson at DE, and he was a #1 pick.  I'm looking for Jamaal to improve this year, and break out his 3rd year. 

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
high voltage (6/3/2008)

they had nfl coaches coaching them too....which cant be said for jamaal

Jamaal needs to spend his entire training camp in the weight room. THAT is the only way he'll develop into a good end.  He is wayyyyyyyyy way way way way to weak to live up to his #8 pick.

If he doesn't get any stronger he will fail as a DE.  I'm not joking when I say this, we should convert him back to a TE. 

He was a one year wonder at Arkansas, and his combine numbers were unimpressive, compared to (elite) ends and outside LB's in the 3/4.

I really really really want Anderson to do well, but unless he gets much stronger he won't improve.  He's neither strong or fast,has bad technique and plays way to high(even though he's really tall)  If he can get (alot) stronger, play lower and develop his technique maybe he won't be a bust.

Farmer (6/3/2008)
Jamaal will come around.  The guy is young and still learning the position.  DE usually takes time to develop in the NFL anyway.  Look at Mario Williams.  He had a terrible rookie year and he's got more experience than Anderson at DE, and he was a #1 pick.  I'm looking for Jamaal to improve this year, and break out his 3rd year. 

here we go again. the mario williams comparion is not the same. at least mario had a sack or two. how many did jammal have??????A BIG FAT ZERO. and he was picked in the 10 top. to much expectation for someone like that, and then to come up with nothing is a big disappointment.

crankthatbatman (6/3/2008)
Farmer (6/3/2008)

here we go again. the mario williams comparion is not the same. at least mario had a sack or two. how many did jammal have??????A BIG FAT ZERO. and he was picked in the 10 top. to much expectation for someone like that, and then to come up with nothing is a big disappointment.

4 and a half sacks actually.  Just like you said, its not fair to Williams to compare Anderson to him.  Anderson should be compared to another top 10 DE pick with 0 sacks.

Hey I hope Jamaal develops.

But you guys are trying sooo hard to defend the pick that you're missing the point.

When we took him we were expecting immediate production. We didn't get it.

And the point about NFL coaching.... trust me I know this because I made this point during the season last year.

That doesn't make me feel good because the "NFL people" we have in the front office HIRED those morons in the first place.... and then either chose to lie about how bad the coaches were or they were too incompitent to realize it.... either way it doesn't make me feel better.

ltstorm1 (6/3/2008)
Farmer (6/3/2008)

4 and a half sacks actually.  Just like you said, its not fair to Williams to compare Anderson to him.  Anderson should be compared to another top 10 DE pick with 0 sacks.

like who? aundray bruce

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
Hey I hope Jamaal develops.

But you guys are trying sooo hard to defend the pick that you're missing the point.

When we took him we were expecting immediate production. We didn't get it.

And the point about NFL coaching.... trust me I know this because I made this point during the season last year.

That doesn't make me feel good because the "NFL people" we have in the front office HIRED those morons in the first place.... and then either chose to lie about how bad the coaches were or they were too incompitent to realize it.... either way it doesn't make me feel better.

I'm not trying to "defend the pick".  I'm just pointing out that the guy is really young and has little experience.  He may turn out to be a star or a bust, but to continually bash a player after 1 disappointing season doesn't make much sense, especially when the guy is only 21 years old. 

The Falcon Ace (6/3/2008)
I don't know who was expecting immediate production. I was under the consensus that he was a raw prospect with immense potential that was going to take time to devolop...

I'm sorry you don't draft a top 10 pick to develop.  A top 10 pick should be NFL ready, and not just ready he should be better than most.

ltstorm1 (6/3/2008)
Farmer (6/3/2008)

like who? aundray bruce

Even Aundray Bruce had 6 sacks as a rookie.

I don't know who was expecting immediate production. I was under the consensus that he was a raw prospect with immense potential that was going to take time to devolop...

Unbelievable.  Surely you don't believe that. 

Sorry the quote thing messed up.  I was responding to the guy who said you don't draft a top 10 pick to develop.

ltstorm1 (6/3/2008)

I'm sorry you don't draft a top 10 pick to develop.  A top 10 pick should be NFL ready, and not just ready he should be better than most.

Are you kidding me? There are probably 1-3 players in an entire draft that are even close to NFL ready outside of RBs, I hope you don't believe that...

ltstorm1 (6/3/2008)

well dang, it looks like jammal made history.

ltstorm1

I'm sorry you don't draft a top 10 pick to develop. A top 10 pick should be NFL ready, and not just ready he should be better than most.

That's just horrendously incorrect.

Some top-10 picks are NFL ready - like Dorsey, C.Long. Some are raw, and are drafted for their considerable upside - like Mario Williams, JaMarcus Russell, and our own Jamaal Anderson.

Everyone who paid the slightest bit of attention to the draft knew that Jamaal was extremely raw, and would take at least a year or two to have a major impact.

He didn't have great coaching.

He was asked to bulk up and defend the run first and foremost, something he actually did fairly well.

The UT next to him changed on a regular basis, giving him no stability.

Fine, he didn't have a great year, but getting worked up and calling him a bust is entirely pointless.

d-rod (6/3/2008)
ltstorm1

I'm sorry you don't draft a top 10 pick to develop. A top 10 pick should be NFL ready, and not just ready he should be better than most.

Some top-10 picks are NFL ready - like Dorsey, C.Long. Some are raw, and are drafted for their considerable upside - like Mario Williams, JaMarcus Russell, and our own Jamaal Anderson.

Everyone who paid the slightest bit of attention to the draft knew that Jamaal was extremely raw, and would take at least a year or two to have a major impact.

He was asked to bulk up and defend the run first and foremost, something he actually did fairly well.

Fine, he didn't have a great year, but getting worked up and calling him a bust is entirely pointless.

And all you pointed out were exscuses.  Top 10. the first 10 guys picked in the draft should be NFL ready except for QB's.  The later 2nd round to 3rd round guys are guys you develop.  These top 10 picks are paid like they are elite, and they should be.

I'm not saying every top 10 pick should go to the Pro Bowl, but they should have WAYYYYYY better production than Anderson did.

And if you don't believe that you are a Homer.

You may want "immediate production" but coaches and

gm's live in the real world and know it may take some time

even with the top picks and the most talented guys to

adjust. However, a little more shine could be expected than

Anderson showed us. I think the jury is still out on this pick.

ltstorm1 (6/3/2008)
d-rod (6/3/2008)
ltstorm1

And all you pointed out were exscuses.  Top 10. the first 10 guys picked in the draft should be NFL ready except for QB's.  The later 2nd round to 3rd round guys are guys you develop.  These top 10 picks are paid like they are elite, and they should be.

I'm not saying every top 10 pick should go to the Pro Bowl, but they should have WAYYYYYY better production than Anderson did.

And if you don't believe that you are a Homer.

That's your own expectations, but I don't find them realistic. I find the rookie contract system extremely flawed, and I don't blame that on the player. I don't look at Anderson as being an 8th overall selection with a big contract, I look at him as a player. He is a player who is meant to line up on the edge(not like last year) and will need 1-2 years to devolop considering he hasn't played the DE position for more than a few years. He has immense potential in terms of measurables, we just have to see if he will play out.

Was his production poor, yes. I cannot and will not judge a player by how they work in their rookie year, or even their 2nd years after Roddy White.

high voltage (6/3/2008)

What do you mean?? "He just needs the snaps".....he started all of last year?!?!?!?!?:doze:

theyhateme (6/3/2008)
high voltage (6/3/2008)

What do you mean?? "He just needs the snaps".....he started all of last year?!?!?!?!?:doze:

Dude, you get owned in every post.  How fun is that?  Are you just too ignorant to realize that?  JA played the position for a total of 3 freakin' years you #####. 

high voltage (6/3/2008)
theyhateme (6/3/2008)
high voltage (6/3/2008)

Dude, you get owned in every post.  How fun is that?  Are you just too ignorant to realize that?  JA played the position for a total of 3 freakin' years you #####. 

The DE??? You're nuts....for real...I think you mean John Abraham...:w00t: