Opinions on Kynan Forney

He was a heck of a guard in Knapp's system, but obviously didn't do too well last year.  If it were up to me, I would start Clabo at RG, but I'm wondering if anyone believes he can turn it around with this new scheme.  I think he is undersized for this system, and maybe that's why he struggled last year with what was at least supposed to be a power scheme.  I'm hoping he can get a little stronger and provide some quality veteran depth.  Thoughts? 

bossFALCON"! (6/3/2008)
Legion (6/3/2008)
LT Baker, LG Blalock, C Datish/Step, RG Clabo, RT Butterworth

thats a really young line legion. but if they can pull it off, great.

Too young if you want to be honest, but OL is about familiarity and ability to work together. I bet by the end of the season if all of these guys are on the team that this will be the line-up. Also, in a power run type of game, rookies tend to flourish early. The Patrits were a power run team when Brady first came around. Just saying.

foreveriloveatlanta (6/3/2008)
He was a heck of a guard in Knapp's system, but obviously didn't do too well last year. If it were up to me, I would start Clabo at RG, but I'm wondering if anyone believes he can turn it around with this new scheme. I think he isundersized for this system, and maybe that's why he struggled last year with what wasat least supposed to be a power scheme. I'm hoping he can get a little stronger and provide some quality veteran depth. Thoughts?

pretty much anything to do with last year and the coaching from it should be discounted

Legion (6/3/2008)
bossFALCON"! (6/3/2008)
Legion (6/3/2008)

Too young if you want to be honest, but OL is about familiarity and ability to work together. I bet by the end of the season if all of these guys are on the team that this will be the line-up. Also, in a power run type of game, rookies tend to flourish early. The Patrits were a power run team when Brady first came around. Just saying.
I would hope anyways.

Legion (6/3/2008)
bossFALCON"! (6/3/2008)
Legion (6/3/2008)

good points.

Legion (6/3/2008)

Yeah, that is a young inexperienced line. I would expect there will be a good rotation of players along the line for a few games till the coaches find the best mix that is most productive. I believe the players with some experience will get the initial nod with opportunities for the new players to move up as they earn their stripes.

bart (6/3/2008)
Legion (6/3/2008)

Yeah, that is a young inexperienced line. I would expect there will be a good rotation of players along the line for a few games till the coaches find the best mix that is most productive. I believe the players with some experience will get the initial nod with opportunities for the new players to move up as they earn their stripes.

Can't agree more.

The only way forney isn't the starter is if he is hurt. 

We need to keep clabo as a backup for both guard positions.

If clabo starts, we instantly get weaker on the bench.

I think clabo will be the glue that holds this line together over the full season.

forney is an athletic pull type RG, built for the running game. He is only 7 pounds less than clabo with more experience.

trubirdfan4life (6/3/2008)

I think clabo will be the glue that holds this line together over the full season.

forney is an athletic pull type RG, built for the running game. He is only 7 pounds less than clabo with more experience.

POWER RUN GAME...that means POWER RUN BLOCK...not athletically pulling.

There is no way in **** Datish coulod beat out McClure this year. McClure played at 300lbs last year and Datish is no heavier. Some fans here think Datish is bigger or stronger....not so, and if you take the mental side of the game and McClure is exonentially better.  Datish will be a good backup to McClure this year.

McClure could be the most underrated player on our roster by many of the fans that have blamed him for the pathetic play of those around him over the years.

Jeff Van Note, the all pro center that calls the Falcon games has stated many times that McClure is the second best center the Falcons have ever had.

Mark my words, McClure will be the starting center this year.

I agree that McClure will be the starting center this year and Stepanovich would probably be his backup over Datish.  Although I think that Butterworth has some potential, there's no way he would start this year.  Weiner is the starter, with Foster or even Clabo backing him up.  We seem to have a lot of guards on the roster -- do any of them have experience at tackle (Batiste, Pennington, Dahl, McCoy, Quarterman, etc.).  Is Ojinnaka good enough to make the team -- and is he better suited for LT or RT (I think he is under 300lbs.)?

foreveriloveatlanta (6/3/2008)
He was a heck of a guard in Knapp's system, but obviously didn't do too well last year. If it were up to me, I would start Clabo at RG, but I'm wondering if anyone believes he can turn it around with this new scheme. I think he isundersized for this system, and maybe that's why he struggled last year with what wasat least supposed to be a power scheme. I'm hoping he can get a little stronger and provide some quality veteran depth. Thoughts?
JMO, he should have been a Feb. or June 1st cut. He's had shoulder issues and he wasn't a power blocker to begin with. If he's on the roster, hopefully it's just for veteran depth.

Legion (6/3/2008)
trubirdfan4life (6/3/2008)

POWER RUN GAME...that means POWER RUN BLOCK...not athletically pulling.

Pulling= mismatch =power

first let me say according to most prognosticators our OL was the weakest part of our team last yr with all the injuries, inexperience, etc... and there again according to most our OL will be the weakest part of our team again this yr. I disagree and think our OL will actuallly be one of the strongest and deepest areas of the team this yr. With all the injuries last yr we built alot of depth with Clabo, Foster, Ojinnaka, others. Add Baker from the draft, give Balock a yr of experience, throw in a healthy Weiner and this line should be very good.

Forney's poor showing last yr was probably due to the shoulder injury the previous yr. If he gets back to what he was 3-4 yrs ago he could be one of our better OL's. Obviously the coaching staff knows something or Forney would be gone.

We have some really big guys for the OL. McClure is under sized a bit, but he's still regarded as one of the better centers (top half) in the NFL. Foster played well before his injury and will provide quality depth. It will be hard to keep Clabo out of the starting line up as it's been said he was our best OL last yr. Stepanovich will also provide quality depth.

The bottom is our OL will be much improved and should only get better as the yr goes along. The first thing that must happen is the QB needs to make the reads and get rid of the ball, second M Turner will make our OL and passing game much better than last yr. I feel really good about the offense and OL.

Can't say the same thing about the DL and defense.

Forney was known as a mauler with a mean streak prior to Gibbs getting ahold of him. He was Reeves best run blocker but it took him some time to develop his pass protection and he whiffed in pass prtection  constantly those first two years.

I hope Forney can get back to the run blocker he was prior to Gibbs...I just don;t know if last year was because he hated his coaches or if his shoulder was injured, but he hated Gibbs and he hated Petrino and that could have effected his play some.

Here's hoping Forney revicves himself as this coaching staff is one that will allow him to succeed if he still has it in him.