Defensive Linemen.

FatJ2003

Honestly, we have a ton of D-linemen, most of whom aren't really that great. I can see Babs and T Lewis making an impact in the future, and Babs sooner than Lewis, but other than that, nothing. We have a nice handful of DE's, maybe we could move someone like Chauncey Davis to D-lineman for a few snaps? He has speed, strength, and he's an explosive player. Just an idea. I'm open to any and all opinions!

DT- Hopefully Lewis is ready to go after his knee injury, but you never know how those things will turn out, especially with a guy carrying around that much weight.  Without him at NT, we would really have a glaring weakness at stopping the run up the middle.  I think Montavious Stanley did alright last year, but I would not feel good about having him as our starting nose tackle.  Babineaux I think could develop into a good starter but he is not there quite yet, and Moorehead I think will never be anything more than a good backup.  Neither Babineaux or Moorehead has the size to be a run-stuffer, so I'm really banking on Lewis coming back strong from his rehab to clog up the running lanes.

DE- If healthy, I think Abraham has at least a few good years left.  I believe in Jamaal Anderson and hopefully he will prove his critics wrong this season and provide some pass pressure.  It concerns me that people are saying he looks out of shape though.  I'm interested to see Kroy Biermann play, especially if we are struggling to get sacks as the season goes on, but I've heard we will be using his as an OLB anyway.

Ideally, my starting line would be Abraham/Lewis/Babineaux/Anderson.  If Abraham and Lewis are 100% and Babineaux and Anderson develop more, our D-line should not be a problem. Hopefully we will be in that situation.  

I think we should be OK at UT -- Babineaux could have a break-out year and Moorehead is solid in rotation.  As mentioned, Frazer plays UT and JAnderson could see spot duty there.

Nose tackle is our biggest question mark.  I thought Lewis showed some good things last year, but we probably are pinning too much hope on him -- I doubt he's ready by the start of the season, and no telling what effect the injury will have had.  RMoore certianly has the size, but is yet to show starter quality.  Stanley could be a decent backup.  I think the falcons will look to add another player here if possible (quality only - please!).  I don't believe Gravy Train would be in good enough shape or have the needed motivation to help us much. 

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
I think we're going to have problems stopping the run.

Which will lead to big gains in the air against our young secondary.

Lofton in the middle is not to be overlooked as a benefit. Brooking

made tackles closer to the line of scrimmage last year and didn't get

drug down the field as much but somebody coming up with more force

to fill the hole will make us better. Lofton is not to be overlooked as part

of the run stopping package. Pieces are being put in place.

LADBABY (6/3/2008)
Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)

I'm seeing the MLB getting taken out by an offensive lineman.... regardless of who it is.

Lofton is still a rookie.  You're acting like he's done something in the NFL.

Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)
LADBABY (6/3/2008)
Sun Tzu 7 (6/3/2008)

I'm seeing the MLB getting taken out by an offensive lineman.... regardless of who it is.

Lofton is still a rookie. You're acting like he's done something in the NFL.

I expect him to be a tackling machine. Not immune to making mistakes

but more like what he was in college, than completely overwhelmed by

the NFL and being rendered ineffective. Patrick Willis made a lot of tackles

for San Francisco kind of like he did at Ole Miss.

FatJ2003 (6/3/2008)
Honestly, we have a ton of D-linemen, most of whom aren't really that great. I can see Babs and T Lewis making an impact in the future, and Babs sooner than Lewis, but other than that, nothing. We have a nice handful of DE's, maybe we could move someone like Chauncey Davis to D-lineman for a few snaps? He has speed, strength, and he's an explosive player. Just an idea. I'm open to any and all opinions!

The Defense has been one big problem on our Falcons team.  I was hoping, given the chance that our Defense would have been upgraded  . . . hopefully this new system will produce some improvements (my hope) . . . we'll just have to see.

FatJ2003 (6/3/2008)

I like the fact that there should be a decent rotation with the DL

eventhough there are no stand out at DT. Hopefully somebody stands

out in training camp and pre season,Smith's experience on defense

might be able to scheme around any weaknesses that the DL has. Obviously they

have to improve drastically against the run,along with Anderson getting some consistent

pass rush.I think the linebackers are going to bring some heat and the secondary will be better than most expect.