Odell Thurman Fails Drug Test

Shaud

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is facing an indefinite suspension after violating the NFL's substance abuse policy for the second time in three seasons, according to a report on SI.com.

Thurman's representative, Safarrah Lawson, said he was unaware of the situation when contacted by ESPN.com Monday night. Thurman was released by the Bengals on May 19.

"As far as I know we're suppose to see some teams next week," Lawson said. "We've talked to some people and we got some visits set up. If something happened, it's a development that just unfolded. But I don't have any knowledge of it."

Lawson added that he couldn't confirm or deny the report. Usually players are notified of league violations before agents and representatives, and Lawson had yet to talk to Thurman once the report surfaced Monday night.

The process of Thurman searching for another team had been delayed in recent weeks because the linebacker was still grieving the recent death of his grandmother.

"I will tell you, the death in his family he has taken extremely hard, much harder than I would've even thought,'' Lawson said. "To lose the last remnant of his family [affected him]."

Thurman was reinstated on April 21 after a two-year suspension for violating the league's substance abuse and conduct policies. Less than a month later, the Bengals released him with coach Marvin Lewis saying, "we have not seen the right steps taken by him."

Thurman, a second-round draft pick from Georgia, showed promise as a rookie in 2005, when he led the team in tackles and led all NFL rookies with five interceptions. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2006 season after failing to show up for a drug test.

Commissioner Roger Goodell extended the suspension to a full season when Thurman was arrested for drunken driving; Wide receiver Chris Henry -- who was also released by the Bengals -- was a passenger in the vehicle, but wasn't charged. Goodell later extended Thurman's suspension through the 2007 season as well, setting conditions for his return.

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3423215

Bartkowski (6/2/2008)
I find it hard to understand how getting loaded is more important than doing your job. Especially when you have so much talent. :crazy:

His grandma died, some people deal with stress by smoking away, weed relaxes you, but yeah not a wise decision when you could be making a lot of money playing a sport that you are very good at.

foreveriloveatlanta (6/3/2008)
Mathis, what are whipits? Just wondering, never heard of them.

Hopefully this isn't against any TOS rules:

Take a CO2 cartridge like some of the ones used in paintball guns, break the seal and put a balloon over it to trap the CO2 and inhale. Or just barely push on the tip of a whip cream can and inhale. Weeeeeeeeeeee! :w00t:

Shaud (6/2/2008)
Bartkowski (6/2/2008)
I find it hard to understand how getting loaded is more important than doing your job. Especially when you have so much talent. :crazy:

His grandma died, some people deal with stress by smoking away, weed relaxes you, but yeah not a wise decision when you could be making a lot of money playing a sport that you are very good at.

Wow, what a tribute for GrandMa, that makes it her fault, no?

This dude is a waste of humanity and talent, maybe there should be an "NFL Inmate League" team. Vince McMahon could run it!

birdz4i (6/3/2008)
**** and people thought vick was stupid

Well they both are, Odell has a better chance at playing earlier then Vick does, but Odell is walking on thin ice. He will be suspended question is how long?

Matty ICE (6/3/2008)
birdz4i (6/3/2008)
He is. This does not take away from Vick's stupidity.

yeah but vick made 1 mistake unlike this mo*on, this is his 3rd failed test and he just came off a 2 year suspension. if vick makes it back in the league and manages to get suspended again, then he enters the level of this mo*on.

Let me first off saying I'm a UGA fan, so don't think I'm trying to start anything, but wow that 2005 draft class really didn't turn out so well. I mean we had OT, Pollack, and David Greene go in that draft. I really thought that was going to be when UGA made a serious impact on the NFL. I know Reggie Brown and Thomas Davis went too, but man, it really didn't turn out too well for anyone else.

Shaud (6/3/2008)
birdz4i (6/3/2008)

Well they both are, Odell has a better chance at playing earlier then Vick does, but Odell is walking on thin ice. He will be suspended question is how long?

he is facing an indefinate suspension this time, 3 strikes and ya out especially with roger in charge.

birdz4i (6/3/2008)
Shaud (6/3/2008)
birdz4i (6/3/2008)

he is facing an indefinate suspension this time, 3 strikes and ya out especially with roger in charge.

Michael Vick is facing an indefinate suspension, he wont even be suspended until he's out of jail. For the record.

mbrizzle (6/3/2008)
birdz4i (6/3/2008)
Shaud (6/3/2008)
birdz4i (6/3/2008)

Michael Vick is facing an indefinate suspension, he wont even be suspended until he's out of jail. For the record.

yeah but there is a difference in the fact that thurman is a repeat offender on the same COC policy. vick has never had a run in with the commissioners until now.