who do you think wins the NFC south?

me too, but why do you think they will? i gotta say i love what i hear about the offensive line coaching. to hear blaylock speak of his improvement and credit the new coaches unorthadox methods and how they translate to the field, i'm very excited about the season. mike smith sounds like a bobby cox type of coach, hopefully getting the maximum out of his players and a long string of division titles is in our near future as well. even if van gorder fails as DC i believe mike smith can take care of the defensive calls himself, the OC is a little scary for me. i hope he is one to learn from his mistakes.

TeamPlayer (5/31/2008)
The Bucs have my respect, I hope for a split, everybody else is fair game. Saints, Panthers I see some weakness.

GO FALCONS!!!!

It's funny how perspectives are different depending on which team you follow.

IMO, Saints are building a champion with the moves that were made.

But I'm also a Saints fan, so I too have to be grounded to a point.:hehe:

The bucs and saints both have no reason to be below 500. The bucs always have a great defense, even if it will be winding down in the next couple of years.

The saints started horribly last year, but were a "winning team" over the last 12 games. Their weakness was D and they did a lot to fortify. They used to always disappoint, but payton has them playing in general with more heart.

I'd expect the saints to win 10 (could be 6, could be 13, but around 9 or 10 should happen) and the bucs could be between 6 and 10 (they should be above 500, but they've been up and down the last several years.)

I'm not impressed with Carolina, though they certainly have the talent to perform.

I have no idea on Atlanta. With a lot of ifs, they could do well (mainly OL DL play), but you'd expect between 3 and 9 wins for them)

1) Saints- by far the best offense in the NFC South.  The defense is what always held the Saints back. With their offseason additions of Sedrick Ellis, Tracy Porter, Randall Gay and Jonathan Vilma - the defense should at least be "average" which is all "Brees & Co" will need.

Prediction:  10-6

2) Bucanneers - there is nothing "outstanding" about this team but they are just "solid" accross the board. The defense is always good and the offense just needs to be average to have a good season. Jeff Garcia and Earnest Graham will make enough plays to achieve that. However, they will miss the playoffs.

Prediction:  8-8

3) Panthers - this is a team that has "underachieved" the last few years.  There are two "pro bowl" players (Steve Smith, Julius Peppers). Jake Delhomme is a "mystery" because he's not consistent - sometimes very good, sometimes very bad - mix in an injury bug and you don't know what you have at the QB position. With the addition of Jeff Otah to a line that already has Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton, the offensive line should be good. Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams will make a good 1-2 punch in the running game.  I just think they will be inconsistent.

Prediction: 6-10

4) Falcons - I'm trying to be "objective".  The Atlanta Falcons are much improved but it may not be reflected in the record this year - everything changes this year and there will be a learning curve. Matt Ryan figures to be in the starting lineup soon and he most definitely will have a learning curve. Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood will be an effective running combo but I still see our offensive line being horrible.  Hopefully the new o-line coach can mold this "rag-tag" bunch into a cohesive unit but we are still lacking talent(need to get Michael Oher next year!).  On defense, we will be "soft" in the middle with the defensive line being weak. Corners (Houston, Jackson) will definitely be tested as well. Look for Falcons to go "worst-to-first" in 2009, though

Prediction: 5-11

There are a lot of question marks here that can have a great impact on who wins the NFC South. I don't see Carolina winning it, the Bucs will be tough again for sure.  The Saints have a very good offense and if the acquisitions on their defense work out, they should win the division hands down and compete for the NFC Title with one of the NFC East teams. 

Personally, I don't think we will win the division this particular year but I do believe that we'll have an impact on who does.  How we play against the Saints/Bucs can decide who will/won't win this division as well.  In weeks 13 & 14 we'll play the Saints in N.O. and host the Bucs in the Ga Dome so it is likely that if we play in a spoiler role, you'd think that game vs. the Bucs here could be the one.

g-dawg (6/1/2008)
1) Saints- by far the best offense in the NFC South.  The defense is what always held the Saints back. With their offseason additions of Sedrick Ellis, Tracy Porter, Randall Gay and Jonathan Vilma - the defense should at least be "average" which is all "Brees & Co" will need.

Prediction:  10-6

2) Bucanneers - there is nothing "outstanding" about this team but they are just "solid" accross the board. The defense is always good and the offense just needs to be average to have a good season. Jeff Garcia and Earnest Graham will make enough plays to achieve that. However, they will miss the playoffs.

Prediction:  8-8

3) Panthers - this is a team that has "underachieved" the last few years.  There are two "pro bowl" players (Steve Smith, Julius Peppers). Jake Delhomme is a "mystery" because he's not consistent - sometimes very good, sometimes very bad - mix in an injury bug and you don't know what you have at the QB position. With the addition of Jeff Otah to a line that already has Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton, the offensive line should be good. Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams will make a good 1-2 punch in the running game.  I just think they will be inconsistent.

Prediction: 6-10

4) Falcons - I'm trying to be "objective".  The Atlanta Falcons are much improved but it may not be reflected in the record this year - everything changes this year and there will be a learning curve. Matt Ryan figures to be in the starting lineup soon and he most definitely will have a learning curve. Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood will be an effective running combo but I still see our offensive line being horrible.  Hopefully the new o-line coach can mold this "rag-tag" bunch into a cohesive unit but we are still lacking talent(need to get Michael Oher next year!).  On defense, we will be "soft" in the middle with the defensive line being weak. Corners (Houston, Jackson) will definitely be tested as well. Look for Falcons to go "worst-to-first" in 2009, though

Good analysis g!  I guess it's the question marks on the D and the OL that are making us all curious as to whether we're going to stay in the cellar this year or leapfrog the Panties and/or the rest of the division although I don't see it happening this year.

Saints do have the best team on paper, but they seem to share the same curse the Falcons deal with -- something always goes wrong.  It may already be starting with CGrant.

If the Saints can't overcome bad karma, the Buc's will take it by default.

g-dawg (6/1/2008)

4) Falcons - I'm trying to be "objective". The Atlanta Falcons are much improved but it may not be reflected in the record this year - everything changes this year and there will be a learning curve. Matt Ryan figures to be in the starting lineup soon and he most definitely will have a learning curve. Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood will be an effective running combo but I still see our offensive line being horrible. Hopefully the new o-line coach can mold this "rag-tag" bunch into a cohesive unit but we are still lacking talent(need to get Michael Oher next year!). On defense, we will be "soft" in the middle with the defensive line being weak. Corners (Houston, Jackson) will definitely be tested as well. Look for Falcons to go "worst-to-first" in 2009, though

5-11??? see sig quote:)

Here's da way I see it this season:

Dem Saints have de team to win de South and maybe even de Conference.  Whether dem players put it together or not will be de determining factor.  Bucs have a good defense but dey offense can be kind of offensive on occasion. 

Panties are as big a question mark as us.

As for us, we have Detroit, KC, Chicago, Denver & St Louis as well as NFC South teams at home.  I can see us winning four of dem dere first five and one against Carolina or Bucs for five winnable games here.  On de road we have some very tough games: NFC South, Green Bay, Minnesota, San Diego, Philadelphia & Oakland.  Our best chance to win one of those games would be against de Raiders if we're able to establish a running game with Turner/Norwood. If we're able to establish some consistancy with de running "D" and in our passing game, de Minnesota game could become winnable in game #15. I believe we can likely win 6 games here and if we can win another game/home game, we could be looking at a .500 season.

peter griffin (5/31/2008)
now i know what your thinking, "PLAYOFFS!?! DONT ASK ME ABOUT PLAYOFFS!?!" but who do we need fear in our division? to me the bucs have the deepest roster. the saints are arguably the best coached, and the panthers i think will be the cellar dwellers. what say you?

Bucs

12-4

saints

11-5

Carolina,

11-5

FALCONS

3-13

KJW 23 (6/1/2008)
now i know what your thinking, "PLAYOFFS!?! DONT ASK ME ABOUT PLAYOFFS!?!" but who do we need fear in our division? to me the bucs have the deepest roster. the saints are arguably the best coached, and the panthers i think will be the cellar dwellers. what say you?

Bucs

12-4

saints

11-5

Carolina,

11-5

FALCONS

3-13

Dat's a purdy bold estimate!  Lemme guess, dem Saints and Panties won't even get a wild card playoff spot either...

fastedbo (6/1/2008)
KJW 23 (6/1/2008)

Bucs

12-4

saints

11-5

Carolina,

11-5

FALCONS

3-13

Dat's a purdy bold estimate!  Lemme guess, dem Saints and Panties won't even get a wild card playoff spot either...

:hehe: Being each NFC South team plays against each other for six games/year, and against the Chargers & Packers and knowing that the Bucs will play the Cowboys & Seattle, Saints will also play the Giants.  But most teams in the NFC Central aren't that good except Green Bay and AFC West aren't either right now except San Diego, this sounds a little far fetched but is possible although very unlikely.

Bucs

12-4

saints

11-5

Carolina,

11-5

FALCONS

3-13