Some Falcon fans were infuriated when we drafted Boley, Laurant Robinson and Schaub

gazoo

dawg58 (5/31/2008)

Duh, its still called a draft in basketball. I'm also pretty sure its not the bottom 10-12 teams. Don't know for sure maybe 6, and didn't TD pick a number out of a hat that moved us up this year. That part kind of seems like a lottery. I believe what he is saying is that its a roll of the dice even though its called a draft instead of #####. Although you do seem to sling a lot of crap.

no thats NOT what he's talking about dummy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

burdman (6/1/2008)
dawg58 (5/31/2008)

Duh, its still called a draft in basketball. I'm also pretty sure its not the bottom 10-12 teams. Don't know for sure maybe 6, and didn't TD pick a number out of a hat that moved us up this year. That part kind of seems like a lottery. I believe what he is saying is that its a roll of the dice even though its called a draft instead of #####. Although you do seem to sling a lot of crap.

no thats NOT what he's talking about dummy.

So Gazoo is not saying that every pick is a crapshoot, that you don't know what you have really got for a few years?

Most of the criticism of the Robinson, Boley and Schaub wasn't directed at the players themselves abd their operceived skill levels. It stemmed from the positions that they played and the perception that we had much bigger needs (particualrly on the OL and at S) that were consistently being ignored and not adequately addresses.

When we drafetd Schaub in the 3rd it was clear that he was never gong to be given an opportunity to be our full time starter. We'd already made a huge investment in - and were cap committed to - Mike Vick, and barring injury he was always going to be the long term starter for the team. We spend a 3rd rounder on a guy who little chance of being more than a 3-4yr backup here. When Boley was taken, we already had 4 LBs under contract for 3+ years (Brooking, Ike Reese, Ed Hartwell, Demorio Williams),and had added a 5 th LB in Beck. People were unhappy because at the time it looked like we took #6 LB whe they though that we have much bigger needs. The same goes for Robinson. We'd recently spend 2 first round picks on White and Jenkins and many fans were unhappy that we'd spend yet another day 1 pick (the 4th in 5 years) on WR when we hadn't selected a single offensive linemen on day 1 in that time. 

As it happens, Schaub turned in on to a good long term investment even though we had to wait 3 years to get a return; Boley turned out to be better than 4 or the 5 other LBs we had at the time, and Robinson has a chance to become our starting WR. They worked out, whilst other players selected in the same draft haven't. However, the critics weren't entirely wrong. We've paid a high price for years of neglecting the OL and are still doing so. Baker and Blalock will hopefully be the foundations of a great line, but we still have more work to do on that front next year.

The hallmark of a Rich McKay draft seemed to be the search for the "off the radar" diamond in the rough.

That is true, and I don't think it was particualrly successful for McKay. TD seems to have a very similar philosophy of looking for hard working high character guys that have flown under the radar (although he appears to place more emphasis on game day performance than measurables). Hopefully TD wil have more luck than McKay at spotting the mid-late round gems.

gazoo (5/30/2008)
We have been seeing a lot of doomsday criticism from some about the Matt Ryan and Sam Baker picks which is all fine and dandy.Certainly the media is having fun beating up Blank about Ryan's contract despite the fact that when you crunch the numbers responsibly his contract is in line with what a QB picked at #3 this year would make in the slotting system.

No one in this years draft is a guaranty and no one knows for sure who will make it yet fans act as though they already know Ryan is a bust and some other player we passed on was going to make the Hall of Fame.The fans get it wrong a lot but they conveniently forget about what they said only a year or two ago.

1. Michael Boley: The fans were apoplectic after we drafted thefan favorite Jorden Beck in the 3rd round and then picked Boley in the 5th round.Beck's 4.5 speed and big hits video clips made him an instantfan favorite, and McKay was BLASTED for picking another LB when he picked Boley. "why did McKay pickanother linebacker" "he's just a training camp body". McKay explained that he couldn't pass on Boley because he was rated so high, but McKay stil got blasted by the armchair GMs. As it turns out, Boley is our best defensive player already and has all pro potential. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG

2. Laurant Robinson: When we picked Robinson in the 3rd round, this message board had a meltdown and the complaints didn't stop coming in for months. Fans stated we didn't need another WR and that he wold be a bust because McKay keeps picking busts at wr. Well, as it turned out, Roddy is NOT a bust as the fans stated, and Robinsinson is absolutely shining in camp and has a promising career ahead of him. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG. It appears McKay desrves some kudos for providing this franchise with two very talented young starting WRs and TD possiblygot us a Wes Welker type slot wr in Douglas.This WR corpscould be formidable and will help Ryan's development.

3. Matt Schaub: Despitegoing 2-10 in 2003 after our starting QB went down and we had no capable backup QB to take over, we drafted Schaub in the 3rd round with McKay stating he was rated high on our draft board. Many here excoriated McKay for this "wasted pick" that had a weak arm. Well, we parlayed tha "wasted pick" into what was equivalent in points to a 1st and a 3rd round pick and many here were absolutely stunned. Schaub is now a starting NFL QB and we have Blalock and I can't recall the other player we got from the trade.(Norwood?)

Here is a 2004 draft scouting profile on Matt Schaub: NEGATIVES: Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47945.html

4. And let's not forget the fans adoration for Omiyale. When we drafted Omyale fans were off the charts gleeful about his "long arms". I saw post after post heralding Omyales long arms for months here......how those long arms do for him so far? Perhaps long arms are obsessed uponby our fans?

Just a little history...we are all wrong and all right at times in our criticisms and praise, but I would hate to have everyone forget only to continue making the same mistakes over and over, like to now be bashing Ryan and Baker when the fact is none of us know for sure if Ryan or Baker will be stars or busts, and this applies to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER DRAFTED, not just Ryan and Baker.

You have not seen me say Ryan or Baker are certain to be successful NFL starters, yet some of you claim these guys are certain busts, wasted picks, have no chance at succees.No matter how much you have convinced yourselfRyan and /or Bakerhave no chance,the fact is you just don't know, so let's all give the players the benefit of the doubt and give them time to develop.

great post.

After all, it looks like, beside Knapp and Vick, we agree about many things regarding the Falcons

I really appreciate your support to our young players and to our new staff

I'm with you on this

heretic great post.

After all, it looks like, beside Knapp and Vick, we agree about many things regarding the Falcons

I really appreciate your support to our young players and to our new staff

I'm with you on this

Thanks heretic, and in the final analysis Knapp, despite not having quality wrs, an awful left side of an OL at  LT or LG for his tenure, still was a disappointment.

burdman (5/30/2008)
Great point Robb. Gazoo picks three players who really havent done a thing in this league and is trying to make a point. Let me see a pro bowl from one of these players first before u start bragging on them. what exactly have these players done?

THEY DID A LITTLE BETTER THAN YOU'RE DOING ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD.:D

REV.2000 (6/1/2008)
burdman (5/30/2008)
Great point Robb. Gazoo picks three players who really havent done a thing in this league and is trying to make a point. Let me see a pro bowl from one of these players first before u start bragging on them. what exactly have these players done?

THEY DID A LITTLE BETTER THAN YOU'RE DOING ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD.:D

:w00t:GOOD ONE! HOW LONG DID IT TAKE U TO COME UP WITH THAT?

burdman (5/31/2008)
NiteFalcon (5/30/2008)

virtually everybody probably includes all 32 GM's who felt that no QB was worth taking for over 60 picks after matt ryan's name was called off the board....

Link please?

Get a list of who was taken in the draft and the number left of their

name will indicate where they were taken in the draft. Matt Ryan was

taken far earlier than anybody else as you can see by looking at the list.

You can say that doesn't mean anything because we made a mistake in

picking him that all the other teams would never have made but that would

be "fairyland wish world" or whatever it is you say you don't deal in.