Some Falcon fans were infuriated when we drafted Boley, Laurant Robinson and Schaub

gazoo

I wonder what it would have been like had this MB existed at the time the Falcons drafted Aundray Bruce. I don't think you could find anyone back then - local or national - who wasn't raving about how he was the second coming of LT (The original LT, that is.)

Or how 'bout some of those dreadful Glanville/June Jones era drafts? Though I can't really say I always knew quite how dreadful they were at the time, you never had to wait long to find out when every year the Falcons would take yet another DB or RB in the early rounds to replace the ones they had drafted the previous year. 

One thing I'm positive of, though - there would have been a **** of a lot more "I can't believe we picked Broussard over Hampton!!" threads than there are currently DJ Shockley threads. And I have to say that I would have been in complete agreement with all the UGA fanboys on that one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cooperbh (5/30/2008)
I wonder what it would have been like had this MB existed at the time the Falcons drafted Aundray Bruce. I don't think you could find anyone back then - local or national - who wasn't raving about how he was the second coming of LT (The original LT, that is.)

Or how 'bout some of those dreadful Glanville/June Jones era drafts? Though I can't really say I always knew quite how dreadful they were at the time, you never had to wait long to find out when every year the Falcons would take yet another DB or RB in the early rounds to replace the ones they had drafted the previous year. 

One thing I'm positive of, though - there would have been a **** of a lot more "I can't believe we picked Broussard over Hampton!!" threads than there are currently DJ Shockley threads. And I have to say that I would have been in complete agreement with all the UGA fanboys on that one.

Let's not forget those awesome 1st rounders from 1995 & 1997, Devin Bush (FSU) and especially Michael Booker (Oklahoma)...  We really got some 'gems' then!  I am pretty confident the 1st rounders from this year will be more productive than many of our previous 1st rounders have from the past few years, if anything, we are DUE!

burdman (5/30/2008)
LADBABY (5/30/2008)
Logic says that the "best qb in the draft" according to

virtually everybody is not much of a reach at 3. It also

says that an all-american left tackle from USC might be

worth a try late in the first round especially if you need

one and offensive tackles are flying off the board.

who is "virtually everybody"? names please? ESPN isnt everyone just so you'll know. There are 32 GMs in the league and countless other media outlets and journalists who gave their opinion on Ryan. So when you say virtually everybody, i have a hard time understanding how u got that information. Do u at least have the opinions of all 32 GMs? highly doubt it.:)

virtually everybody probably includes all 32 GM's who felt that no QB was worth taking for over 60 picks after matt ryan's name was called off the board....

cooperbh (5/30/2008)

been there through all the torture......I recall scouts saying Andrey Bruce could "single handedly take games over" with his LT style.

I recall Broussard being said the be a perfect "run and shoot" fit and wondering WTF we were thinking. Darion Conner, the borderine trained assasin...yeah. Bruce Pickens , Shawn Collins..GEEZUS.

Anyway, the point here is, is that any draft pick could make it and any draft pick could fail. We have fans here working under the false premise that Dorsey was a lock and Ryan will be a failure, therefore Ryan was the wrong pick. I wish some of these posters saw how inconsistent their argument is. 

gazoo (5/30/2008)
Robb4242 (5/30/2008)
Some fans were happy when we drafted TJ Duckett, Jimmy Williams, and traded for Peerless Price

I see you are addressing this sentence in my original post:

"Just a little history...we are all wrong and all right at times in our criticisms and praise"

Thanks for backing my post up, we are in 100% agreement on this and it accentuates my point that the fans infuriated about the Ryan and Baker picks under the premise that they know they can;t succeed in the NFL need tofind anopther team to "support".......get behind your players and give them the benefit of the doubt now that they are here and get over the draft.

Any draft pick could fail, and draft pick could succeed and that';s why they call it a "lottery".

I actually do agree with your point. It just seemed like you were only picking out circumstances where the FO got it right & the fans were wrong and ignoring the circumstances where the FO was wrong (and in some instances the fans ended up right). EVERY pick is a gamble & nobody knows the future, so people should get over their initial grumblings about a pick (and I don't have an issue with taking a week or two to get over that), but then move on & support the new guys, along with the old ones still on the roster.

Good Topic Gazoo-

Our Picks as of the last few years have been exponentially better than our picks during the 80's and 90's.

We do have a few guys that aren't quite living up to expectations but we are still a very, very young team. J. Williams might come on strong this year, J. Anderson, Blalock and Houston played solid last year and should improve and there is a lot of potential in 08' class.

If you have been a Falcon fan for a decent amount of time you will realize that the last 6 or 7 drafts have been better than the 30+ previous drafts.

I think people are mad at this years draft because of the message it brings. By drafting a QB instead of a DT with the first round pick and getting rid of key players (Hall/Crumpler) the Falcons are saying "Enjoy watching us rebuild" instead of "we are trying to win THIS year".

Why did we get rid of Crumpler again? Titians love us for it....

Also, if your life would depended on the Falcons winning would you get rid of Hall?

They did sign Turner. THANK YOU JESUS.

So the point is, it's hard to watch when you see everything else going on.

Picture Hall and Crumpler still on the team plus Dorsey, Sam Baker with Redman at the Helm. Turner in the backfield... Doesn't that just make you alittle mad.

falconfansince66 (5/30/2008)
cooperbh (5/30/2008)

Let's not forget those awesome 1st rounders from 1995 & 1997, Devin Bush (FSU) and especially Michael Booker (Oklahoma)...  We really got some 'gems' then!  I am pretty confident the 1st rounders from this year will be more productive than many of our previous 1st rounders have from the past few years, if anything, we are DUE!

Of course, those DB picks wouldn't have stung so much had we not passed on Todd Lyght to grab Bruce Pickens back in '91, and then Lyght didn't go on to have that highly productive 12 year career while Pickens started, like, what - 10 games total?

And I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up Tony Smith and Byron Hanspard to go along with the aforementioned Broussard. That's three RBs drafted in seven years. Meanwhile, over that exact same period you have Rodney Hampton reeling off five straight 1,000 yd seasons and two Pro Bowl berths. And... he's a friggin' UGA guy fer cryin' out loud!! C'mon - that was a no brainer! The one time you actually wanna take the homer pick...

OK, sorry... I'm done now. Just had to get that off my chest. Back on topic...

gazoo (5/30/2008)
cooperbh (5/30/2008)

been there through all the torture......I recall scouts saying Andrey Bruce could "single handedly take games over" with his LT style.

Yup. Except all the draft gurus seemed to miss the part about him being mentally and emotionally 12 years old. Lucky us.

OK... I'm done for real now. It's just that we didn't have this immediate and completely accessable floor for venting about those things back when they were going down. Just making up for lost time, I suppose.

The Falcon Ace (5/30/2008)

Michael Boley has been touted as a great LB who would have gone to the Probowl had he had been on any other team last year.

Laurent Robinson is looking to be at the very LEAST a solid #2 WR.

Matt Schaub was obviously worth something, because the Texans gave up alot for him.

Still haven answered my question. i see "would have gone" and "is looking to be". And just because a team makes a dumb trade doesnt mean the player is good? what did schaub do last year besides get hurt and miss half the season?

gazoo (5/30/2008)
Robb4242 (5/30/2008)

Any draft pick could fail, and draft pick could succeed and that';s why they call it a "lottery".

First of all its not called a lottery in football dum dum, thats basketball. And its called a lottery because the top picks are given to the bottom 10-12 teams not by where the finished but by merely drawing their numbers of a hat. :)

NiteFalcon (5/30/2008)
burdman (5/30/2008)
LADBABY (5/30/2008)
Logic says that the "best qb in the draft" according to

virtually everybody is not much of a reach at 3. It also

says that an all-american left tackle from USC might be

worth a try late in the first round especially if you need

one and offensive tackles are flying off the board.

who is "virtually everybody"? names please? ESPN isnt everyone just so you'll know. There are 32 GMs in the league and countless other media outlets and journalists who gave their opinion on Ryan. So when you say virtually everybody, i have a hard time understanding how u got that information. Do u at least have the opinions of all 32 GMs? highly doubt it.:)

virtually everybody probably includes all 32 GM's who felt that no QB was worth taking for over 60 picks after matt ryan's name was called off the board....

And here I thought the Ravens had one of those 32 GM's, oh well I guess I imagined that Joe Flacco pick in the first round.

LADBABY (5/30/2008)
burdman (5/30/2008)
[b

Burdie you need to crawl out from under that rock every now and then

and see what is going on. If it wasn't "virtually everybody" it was everybody

but Burdman.

Link? show me "virtually everybody"

I don't really recall many people being that upset with the Michael Boley pick. People did love Jordan Beck from the beginning though (I was more impressed with Boley from what I say in that colts game in japan). People were upset about the Laurent Robinson pick because they thought it was too early though.

easymoney (5/31/2008)
The creator of this thread had GOT to be ********. Even a blind squirrell finds a nut every now and then.  That's what it's like watching McKay draft.

yet another nobody troll with nothing to offer..........

burdman (5/31/2008)
gazoo (5/30/2008)
Robb4242 (5/30/2008)

First of all its not called a lottery in football dum dum, thats basketball. And its called a lottery because the top picks are given to the bottom 10-12 teams not by where the finished but by merely drawing their numbers of a hat. :)

Duh, its still called a draft in basketball. I'm also pretty sure its not the bottom 10-12 teams. Don't know for sure maybe 6, and didn't TD pick a number out of a hat that moved us up this year.  That part kind of seems like a lottery. I believe what he is saying is that its a roll of the dice even though its called a draft instead of #####. Although you do seem to sling a lot of crap.

burdman (5/31/2008)
gazoo (5/30/2008)
Robb4242 (5/30/2008)

gazoo (5/31/2008)
burdman

Link please?

Missing_Link.jpg

yeah thats what i thought gazoo. u run your mouth saying that people posts stupid arguments but then when someone asks you to back it up u post stupid pictures. ill ask again, show me. u said u were looking. well im still waiting.