Some Falcon fans were infuriated when we drafted Boley, Laurant Robinson and Schaub

gazoo

We have been seeing a lot of doomsday criticism from some about the Matt Ryan and Sam Baker picks which is all fine and dandy. Certainly the media is having fun beating up Blank about Ryan's contract despite the fact that when you crunch the numbers responsibly his contract is in line with what a QB picked at #3 this year would make in the slotting system.

No one in this years draft is a guaranty and no one knows for sure who will make it yet fans act as though they already know Ryan is a bust and some other player we passed on was going to make the Hall of Fame. The fans get it wrong a lot but they conveniently forget about what they said only a year or two ago.

1. Michael Boley: The fans were apoplectic after we drafted the fan favorite Jorden Beck in the 3rd round and then picked Boley in the 5th round. Beck's 4.5 speed and big hits video clips made him an instant fan favorite, and McKay was BLASTED for picking another LB when he picked Boley. "why did McKay pick another linebacker" "he's just a training camp body". McKay explained that he couldn't pass on Boley because he was rated so high, but McKay stil got blasted by the armchair GMs. As it turns out, Boley is our best defensive player already and has all pro potential. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG

2. Laurant Robinson: When we picked Robinson in the 3rd round,  this message board had a meltdown and the complaints didn't stop coming in for months. Fans stated we didn't need another WR and that he wold be a bust because McKay keeps picking busts at wr. Well, as it turned out, Roddy is NOT a bust as the fans stated, and Robinsinson is absolutely shining in camp and has a promising career ahead of him. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG. It appears McKay desrves some kudos for providing this franchise with two very talented young starting WRs and TD possibly got us a Wes Welker type slot wr in Douglas. This WR corps could be formidable and will help Ryan's development. 

3. Matt Schaub: Despite going 2-10 in  2003 after our starting QB went down and we had no capable backup QB to take over, we drafted Schaub in the 3rd round with McKay stating he was rated high on our draft board. Many here excoriated McKay for this "wasted pick" that had a weak arm. Well, we parlayed tha "wasted pick" into what was equivalent in points to a 1st and a 3rd round pick and many here were absolutely stunned. Schaub is now a starting NFL QB and we have Blalock and I can't recall the other player we got from the trade.(Norwood?)

Here is a 2004 draft scouting profile on Matt Schaub: NEGATIVES: Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass.    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47945.html

4. And let's not forget the fans adoration for Omiyale. When we drafted Omyale fans were off the charts gleeful about his "long arms". I saw post after post heralding Omyales long arms for months here......how those long arms do for him so far? Perhaps long arms are obsessed upon by our fans?

Just a little history...we are all wrong and all right at times in our criticisms and praise, but I would hate to have everyone forget only to continue making the same mistakes over and over, like to now be bashing Ryan and Baker when the fact is none of us know for sure if Ryan or Baker will be stars or busts, and this applies to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER DRAFTED, not just Ryan and Baker.

You have not seen me say Ryan or Baker are certain to be successful NFL starters, yet some of you claim these guys are certain busts, wasted picks, have no chance at succees. No  matter how much you have convinced yourself Ryan and /or Baker have no chance, the fact is you just don't know, so let's all give the players the benefit of the doubt and give them time to develop.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think another example is Norwood who is still not

appreciated on these boards by some guys. You are

right with a few exceptions that we are familiar with,

we just don't know much about them. We hear Kiper

or Mayock or the latest guru touting a guy as all world

and we buy in. However I started hearing about Jerry

"all world" Rice when he was at Crawford High School

and then he went to Mississippi Valley State and played

for Archie "Gunslinger" Cooley in a wide open offense. I

KNEW he was going to be great and the world said "who?"

Sometime we get it right!:)

gazoo (5/30/2008)
We have been seeing a lot of doomsday criticism from some about the Matt Ryan and Sam Baker picks which is all fine and dandy.Certainly the media is having fun beating up Blank about Ryan's contract despite the fact that when you crunch the numbers responsibly his contract is in line with what a QB picked at #3 this year would make in the slotting system.

2. Laurant Robinson: When we picked Robinson in the 3rd round, this message board had a meltdown and the complaints didn't stop coming in for months. Fans stated we didn't need another WR and that he wold be a bust because McKay keeps picking busts at wr. Well, as it turned out, Roddy is NOT a bust as the fans stated, and Robinsinson is absolutely shining in camp and has a promising career ahead of him. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG. It appears McKay desrves some kudos for providing this franchise with two very talented young starting WRs and TD possiblygot us a Wes Welker type slot wr in Douglas.This WR corpscould be formidable and will help Ryan's development.

This ALSO proves that ANYBODY can be a "sports journalist"!

I remember saying last year about Robinson and Nicholas "why'd we pick them so high" cause I didn't think they were on anyone's board in the 3rd/4th round. The hallmark of a Rich McKay draft seemed to be the search for the "off the radar" diamond in the rough. Still not sold on Nicholas, but I acknowledge that Robinson might not have lasted another round

I'm sorry but this thread is dumb.. You're comparing second day picks that signed for slighty above the league minimum, to a #3 overall pick that signed the richest rookie deal in NFL history.. Not very logical.

Great point Robb. Gazoo picks three players who really havent done a thing in this league and is trying to make a point. Let me see a pro bowl from one of these players first before u start bragging on them. what exactly have these players done?

burdman (5/30/2008)
Great point Robb. Gazoo picks three players who really havent done a thing in this league and is trying to make a point. Let me see a pro bowl from one of these players first before u start bragging on them. what exactly have these players done?
He did a good job picking from the cherry tree for his players.

gazoo (5/30/2008)

3. Matt Schaub: Despitegoing 2-10 in 2003 after our starting QB went down and we had no capable backup QB to take over, we drafted Schaub in the 3rd round with McKay stating he was rated high on our draft board. Many here excoriated McKay for this "wasted pick" that had a weak arm. Well, we parlayed tha "wasted pick" into what was equivalent in points to a 1st and a 3rd round pick and many here were absolutely stunned. Schaub is now a starting NFL QB and we have Blalock and I can't recall the other player we got from the trade.(Norwood?)

Shaub turned into Blalock & half of the trade up for Baker this year, and I guess Jamaal Anderson if you think we couldn't have taken him at #10 instead of #8.

Logic says that the "best qb in the draft" according to

virtually everybody is not much of a reach at 3. It also

says that an all-american left tackle from USC might be

worth a try late in the first round especially if you need

one and offensive tackles are flying off the board.

LADBABY (5/30/2008)

who is "virtually everybody"? names please? ESPN isnt everyone just so you'll know. There are 32 GMs in the league and countless other media outlets and journalists who gave their opinion on Ryan. So when you say virtually everybody, i have a hard time understanding how u got that information. Do u at least have the opinions of all 32 GMs? highly doubt it.:)

According to my memory, I remember people overall liking the Robinson pick.  He had lights out speed, and coming from a small school, most thought of him being a possible gem. 

Anyway, overall point is taken.  IMO we're moving in the right direction, less focus on FA and more focus on the playing guys we've drafted.  Boley, Norwood, Robinson, Lewis etc have been very good late p/ups for us.  This is something the Colts have been very good at since 2000, sticking with the guys they draft, and it's worked out pretty well for them.

Farmer (5/30/2008)
According to my memory, I remember people overall liking the Robinson pick.  He had lights out speed, and coming from a small school, most thought of him being a possible gem. 

Anyway, overall point is taken.  IMO we're moving in the right direction, less focus on FA and more focus on the playing guys we've drafted.  Boley, Norwood, Robinson, Lewis etc have been very good late p/ups for us.  This is something the Colts have been very good at since 2000, sticking with the guys they draft, and it's worked out pretty well for them.

um no everybody complained about the Robinson pick.I didn't like it at first either but I didn't ##### about it like everybody else.There had to have been a reason.

Let me start by saying I didn't like the Ryan pick,but he is here and is going to be here the next 3-5 year minimum. That said more than likely if the Falcons passed on Ryan he would been picked by Kansas City or Baltimore in THE FIRST ROUND.

How can you get upset over a 5th round pick for a linbacker? Only fans that don't study the draft and we have a lot of them here. As far as Laurent Robinson I thought we took him a round too early and we passed on Michael Bush in doing so. I felt we could have had them both and I still think so..

burdman (5/30/2008)

Michael Boley has been touted as a great LB who would have gone to the Probowl had he had been on any other team last year.

Laurent Robinson is looking to be at the very LEAST a solid #2 WR.

Matt Schaub was obviously worth something, because the Texans gave up alot for him.

logic (5/30/2008)
I'm sorry but this thread is dumb.. You're comparing second day picks that signed for slighty above the league minimum, to a #3 overall pick that signed the richest rookie deal in NFL history.. Not very logical.

The point being is that fans don't know S*. If you crunch the number as Gazoo said, he was getting that size of a contract. Also, he didn't receive 34 million in guaranteed money as it was reported. It was something around 28 million.

wth? every pick that has been made in falcons draft history has been boo'd or cheered. so half were right and half wrong. the robinson pick was not as doubted as you are claiming because most people were thinking that hue jackson saw enough in him to be good. after coming from cinci workint with ocho-cinco and whosyomama.....most were content with the pick and actually loved the possibilties after seeing some very bad WR play in the previous seasons. also, who bashed the Boley pick? he was relatively unknown on these boards as was jordan beck for the most part. and for schaub.......these forums generally agreed that we got a first rounder in the third and proclaimed the pick a steal.

lets talk about the fiesta bowl mvp michael booker lol.

Robb4242 (5/30/2008)
Some fans were happy when we drafted TJ Duckett, Jimmy Williams, and traded for Peerless Price

I see you are addressing this sentence in my original post:

"Just a little history...we are all wrong and all right at times in our criticisms and praise"

Thanks for backing my post up, we are in 100% agreement on this and it accentuates my point that the fans infuriated about the Ryan and Baker picks under the premise that they know they can;t succeed in the NFL need to find anopther team to "support".......get behind your players and give them the benefit of the doubt now that they are here and get over the draft.

Any draft pick could fail, and draft pick could succeed and that';s why they call it a "lottery".

The Falcon Ace

The point being is that fans don't know S*. If you crunch the number as Gazoo said, he was getting that size of a contract. Also, he didn't receive 34 million in guaranteed money as it was reported. It was something around 28 million.

spot on  The Falcon Ace

Boley-I understood Boley because we were weak at SLB when we drafted him. It was such a thing to where Scar and I both were caught up in a two day thread discussing what we could do to make that position better. BTW Scar was only 15yrs old and sounded like a professional scout.

Robinson- Most people who I discussed this with were excited.

Not sure what you you mean.

burdman (5/30/2008)
LADBABY (5/30/2008)

who is "virtually everybody"? names please? ESPN isnt everyone just so you'll know. There are 32 GMs in the league and countless other media outlets and journalists who gave their opinion on Ryan. So when you say virtually everybody, i have a hard time understanding how u got that information. Do u at least have the opinions of all 32 GMs? highly doubt it.:)

Burdie you need to crawl out from under that rock every now and then

and see what is going on. If it wasn't "virtually everybody" it was everybody

but Burdman.

gazoo (5/30/2008)
We have been seeing a lot of doomsday criticism from some about the Matt Ryan and Sam Baker picks which is all fine and dandy. Certainly the media is having fun beating up Blank about Ryan's contract despite the fact that when you crunch the numbers responsibly his contract is in line with what a QB picked at #3 this year would make in the slotting system.

No one in this years draft is a guaranty and no one knows for sure who will make it yet fans act as though they already know Ryan is a bust and some other player we passed on was going to make the Hall of Fame. The fans get it wrong a lot but they conveniently forget about what they said only a year or two ago.

1. Michael Boley: The fans were apoplectic after we drafted the fan favorite Jorden Beck in the 3rd round and then picked Boley in the 5th round. Beck's 4.5 speed and big hits video clips made him an instant fan favorite, and McKay was BLASTED for picking another LB when he picked Boley. "why did McKay pick another linebacker" "he's just a training camp body". McKay explained that he couldn't pass on Boley because he was rated so high, but McKay stil got blasted by the armchair GMs. As it turns out, Boley is our best defensive player already and has all pro potential. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG

2. Laurant Robinson: When we picked Robinson in the 3rd round,  this message board had a meltdown and the complaints didn't stop coming in for months. Fans stated we didn't need another WR and that he wold be a bust because McKay keeps picking busts at wr. Well, as it turned out, Roddy is NOT a bust as the fans stated, and Robinsinson is absolutely shining in camp and has a promising career ahead of him. THE FANS GOT IT WRONG. It appears McKay desrves some kudos for providing this franchise with two very talented young starting WRs and TD possibly got us a Wes Welker type slot wr in Douglas. This WR corps could be formidable and will help Ryan's development. 

3. Matt Schaub: Despite going 2-10 in  2003 after our starting QB went down and we had no capable backup QB to take over, we drafted Schaub in the 3rd round with McKay stating he was rated high on our draft board. Many here excoriated McKay for this "wasted pick" that had a weak arm. Well, we parlayed tha "wasted pick" into what was equivalent in points to a 1st and a 3rd round pick and many here were absolutely stunned. Schaub is now a starting NFL QB and we have Blalock and I can't recall the other player we got from the trade.(Norwood?)

Here is a 2004 draft scouting profile on Matt Schaub: NEGATIVES: Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass.    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47945.html

4. And let's not forget the fans adoration for Omiyale. When we drafted Omyale fans were off the charts gleeful about his "long arms". I saw post after post heralding Omyales long arms for months here......how those long arms do for him so far? Perhaps long arms are obsessed upon by our fans?

Just a little history...we are all wrong and all right at times in our criticisms and praise, but I would hate to have everyone forget only to continue making the same mistakes over and over, like to now be bashing Ryan and Baker when the fact is none of us know for sure if Ryan or Baker will be stars or busts, and this applies to EVERY SINGLE PLAYER DRAFTED, not just Ryan and Baker.

You have not seen me say Ryan or Baker are certain to be successful NFL starters, yet some of you claim these guys are certain busts, wasted picks, have no chance at succees. No  matter how much you have convinced yourself Ryan and /or Baker have no chance, the fact is you just don't know, so let's all give the players the benefit of the doubt and give them time to develop.

Gaz, as good as your statement might seem, we did get some pretty good gems that you mentioned but since the 2001 draft, our first round picks have been either 'questionable' picks and/or not very productive. 

2001 - Mike Vick: Probably the most productive pick of them all, however, four full years of production and then off to jail makes this one a questionable pick now.

2002 - TJ Duckett: Never lived up to expectations.

2003 - No First Round Picks. (Bryan Scott in the Second Round was first pick).

2004 - Hall and Jenkins: Hall became starter first season and was pretty solid although not as good as he believes he is.  Mouth got him traded to Oakland after fourth year.  Jenkins still has not produced at a first round pick level.

2005 - Roddy White: Finally became noteworthy in his third season and a WR1 on the offense.  (Jenkins isn't even a solid WR3).

2006 - No First Round Picks. (Jimmy Williams in Second Round was first pick).

2007 - Jamaal Anderson: No Sacks in first season but did win starting job and made some contributions towards stopping the running game.  Still needs to develop pass rushing skills.

Out of eight first (or first round) picks in seven years, we have only two starters left (White and Anderson) out of a total of five who had won starting jobs (Vick, Scott & Hall), and three that never became starters (Jenkins, Duckett and Jimmy Williams).  With this kind of production we can only hope that TD's picks in Ryan/Baker will start changing the pattern that we're seemingly having with our first picks/first round picks.