Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jedi-Falcon

QB Almost quit after rookie season...looked up to "My man Michael Vick"

32 posts in this topic

Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 26, 2008, 8:07 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

Young

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

Jedi-Falcon (5/27/2008)
PI look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

He wasn't looking UP to these guys. He was looking at them as examples OF HOW NOT TO ACT.

If I was Vick, I wouldn't be happy about being in this list. Talk about a backhanded compliment. He's my man, but I don't want to be like him because he such a screw up.

The Falcons determined Matt Ryan's mental makeup would allow him to handle he pressures that come along with being a 1st round QB with high expectations.

Matty Ice will not contemplate "quiting", not even with 50% of the fanbase holding him to unrealistic expectations and then stating he is a bust for making the same mistakes all rookie QBs make.

gazoo (5/27/2008)
The Falcons determined Matt Ryan's mental makeup would allow him to handle he pressures that come along with being a 1st round QB with high expectations.

Matty Ice will not contemplate "quiting", not even with 50% of the fanbase holding him to unrealistic expectations and thenstating heis a bustfor making the same mistakes all rookie QBsmake.

Matt Ryan will not contemplate quitting because he will be shown the door instead. Young QBs don't get much time these days and the Falcons aren't going to be in any shape to support ANY QB anytime soon.

Brookhaven (5/27/2008)
Jedi-Falcon (5/27/2008)
PI look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."

He wasn't looking UP to these guys. He was looking at them as examples OF HOW NOT TO ACT.

If I was Vick, I wouldn't be happy about being in this list. Talk about a backhanded compliment. He's my man, but I don't want to be like him because he such a screw up.

Exactly!  It's not looking UP to the con. as the thread errounously leads.  It's more like looking down.

btrain5489 (5/27/2008)
gazoo (5/27/2008)

Matty Ice will not contemplate "quiting", not even with 50% of the fanbase holding him to unrealistic expectations and thenstating heis a bustfor making the same mistakes all rookie QBsmake.

Matt Ryan will not contemplate quitting because he will be shown the door instead. Young QBs don't get much time these days and the Falcons aren't going to be in any shape to support ANY QB anytime soon.

Link?

Oh, that's right. You don't have one. This is just your opinion.

Exactly!  It's not looking UP to the con. as the thread errounously leads.  It's more like looking down

WTF!!

Young was talking about the situation, not about looking down on Vick.  I know some of you hatred for the man is so thick that it clouds any rational thought about him but some people can condemn the act and not actual the man, or woman personally and learn from their mistakes.

Good post. Do you really think it is that hard being a QB. The hard part is life. And the right support group. With good support you can manage your life and focus on the small things like football.

2smooth4ya (5/27/2008)
Exactly!  It's not looking UP to the con. as the thread errounously leads.  It's more like looking down

WTF!!

Young was talking about the situation, not about looking down on Vick.  I know some of you hatred for the man is so thick that it clouds any rational thought about him but some people can condemn the act and not actual the man, or woman personally and learn from their mistakes.

And some folks love blinds them to not have the ability to judge a situation coherently.  Condemnation goes hand in hand with the felon.  Look at the three first letters of the word.  Condemnation.  Take the blinders off.

2smooth4ya (5/27/2008)

WTF!!

Thank you....but the moral majority will not understand, or rather will refuse too.

gazoo (5/27/2008)

link?

Brookhaven (5/27/2008)

WHY NOT LET THE READERS JUDGE FOR THEMSELFS WHAT HE MEANS. WHY DO THEY NEED YOUR PERSONAL COMMENTARY? BESIDES, WHEN VINCE WAS THINKING OF QUITING ....... MIKE WASN'T IN JAIL OR IN TROUBLE.

And some folks love blinds them to not have the ability to judge a situation coherently.  Condemnation goes hand in hand with the felon.  Look at the three first letters of the word.  Condemnation.  Take the blinders off.

WTH are you talking about there Sport?

"The act" is what Vince is talking about in regards to Vick and others.  It doesn't have isht to do with love blinders.

But since you are flawless, please teach us the way to be just like you Jesus. :rolleyes:

Trell Blakely (5/27/2008)
Good post. Do you really think it is that hard being a QB.

HMMM ......... I SEE YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL.

Vince Young is known to be a "pouter". He doesn't have the mental toughness to be a successful NFL QB. The guy is WAY over-hyped.....

REV.2000 (5/27/2008)
Brookhaven (5/27/2008)

WHY NOT LET THE READERS JUDGE FOR THEMSELFS WHAT HE MEANS. WHY DO THEY NEED YOUR PERSONAL COMMENTARY? BESIDES, WHEN VINCE WAS THINKING OF QUITING ....... MIKE WASN'T IN JAIL OR IN TROUBLE.

Wow...GREAT point.....You are WAY too objective for this board.

Smh @ not knowing the difference between "looking at" someone and "looking up" to someone.

And how in the **** could you read that article and think that he was looking down on him. I'm sure they were cool though.

You guys are funny. People have taken a comment from a guy being honest and sharing how he felt and twisted it to mean something totally different. You think he was the only guy having a hard time their first year to think about quitting. The point was that he didn't and he persevered.

You know you can't post anything nice here pertaining to Vick. Or anything some player says he learned from his situation. Man the hate is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

BTW, was Vince young a incapable qb when he won the national championship? Was he incapable when he beat us last year? Or directing his team to a 8-8 record in his first year as a starter? If he is that incapable of being a qb in this league then why is he starting for Tennessee? Sheesh!!!

maverick68 (5/27/2008)
Vince Young is known to be a "pouter". He doesn't have the mental toughness to be a successful NFL QB. The guy is WAY over-hyped.....

So do you think that they will trade him/let him go . . . since you say this.

2smooth4ya (5/27/2008)

WTF!!

Good Post I Agree Its a **** shame that some people are so wrapped up into their negative little-mind-worlds that they cant stand for certain people to get any kind of compliment at all.