Ryan is signed = people complain, Ryan holds out = People complain

Yep I'm beginning to think actual football is a secondary reason for a lot of our fans. People seem to need a reason to complain and being a fan of a football team supplies them with the ammo to constantly complain about things you cannot do anything about.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swanlee (5/22/2008)
Yep I'm beginning to think actual football is a secondary reason for a lot of our fans. People seem to need a reason to complain and being a fan of a football team supplies them with the ammo to constantly complain about things you cannot do anything about.

I would say that there's some meat to your theory.

swanlee (5/22/2008)
You can bet that the same people complaining about him signing are the same ones who would be complaining if he had held out (at least for the most part).

I'm gonna complain regardless because I hated the pick. It doesn't matter if they signed him a month ago or 6 months after the season started. I don't want him and he's not welcolmed here. Now of course he can change my mind by turning the franchise around and winning but until that day Matt Ryan Leaf gets no love from the true Falcons fans. I'm sure the females that thinks he's good looking and charming will have his full support though. Aswell as a majority of the 'midtown' community.

Robb4242 (5/22/2008)
norwood-32 (5/22/2008)
Ryan signed to a smaller contract = people DONT complain
Would anything above him offering to play for free been acceptable?

Certain people would complain even if he offered to pay us.

Truth be told Ryan there was no chance of Ryan holding out.  If a player is going to hold out they are not going to participate in voluntary work outs and OTA see Brian Urlacher.  Ryan has been called many good names and it would have been detrimental to Ryan to hold out.  There were people questioning him being pick even some of his teammates so it would have made no sense for Ryan to hold out because he would have made all those people who said those wonderful things about drafting Ryan look foolish and he would have never gained the respect of his teammates. 

This deal was probably done in principle as soon as Matt Ryan landed in Atlanta.  Blank wanted to make a big splash.  So on the day when all the NFL owners were in Atlanta the FO makes the annoucement.  This way they would have some thing to talk about in Atlanta besides the opting  out of the CBA.  Blank had also invited potential sponsors and suite owners to his office and made the announcement to them before it was officiallly announced.

goatehall (5/22/2008)
Reasonable offer 5yr- $60million with $27million in guarantees.

Even though he was a QB and he was still the 3rd pick overall. Not #1 and Not #2. There should be a reward for being the #1 pick regardless of position.

blank HAD to get the 6-yr deal before they opted out of the CBA. so he offered him a little more.

logic (5/22/2008)
I'm gonna complain regardless because I hated the pick. It doesn't matter if they signed him a month ago or 6 months after the season started. I don't want him and he's not welcolmed here. Now of course he can change my mind by turning the franchise around and winning but until that day Matt Ryan Leaf gets no love from the true Falcons fans. I'm sure the females that thinks he's good looking and charming will have his full support though. Aswell as a majority of the 'midtown' community.
I don't recall asking you to speak for me.Speak for your own self.I'm a true Falcon fan,and while I wasn't crazy about the pick I didn't hate it.He's part of our team now and I will give him my full support until he gives me a good reason not to.THAT'S what a true Falcon fan does.And calling him Ryan Leaf when he hasn't even played a down yet is stupid.He is mush more sound mentally than Leaf.People were so exited about Leaf's throwing arm that nobody thought to see if he had the mental toughness for the game which he obviously didn't.Let Matt at least play a game first before you start rediculously comparing him to Leaf!
goatehall (5/22/2008)
Reasonable offer 5yr- $60million with $27million in guarantees. 

Even though he was a QB and he was still the 3rd pick overall.  Not #1 and Not #2.  There should be a reward for being the #1 pick regardless of position.

So, your piece of contention is $200,000 a year in bonus money, and 2 million dollars in total salary? You're #####ing joking.... right?

blank HAD to get the 6-yr deal before they opted out of the CBA. so he offered him a little more. 

What are you talking about? Blank didn't have to do anything.  He chose to do what he did.  The Dolphins didn't do that and give a extra year. And you are speaking like you are in the mind of Blank and the Falcon organization.  The Falcons Organization were desparate Matt Ryan and his agent took advantage of them.  Remember Ryan has been to every work out voluntarily or not. 

So, your piece of contention is $200,000 a year in bonus money, and 2 million dollars in total salary? You're #####ing joking.... right?

What are you talking about?  34.5 - 27 is more than 200k a year in bonus money.  I took off and extra year and $7.5million in guarantees.  I just don't feel the #3 pick should get more in guarantees than the #1 pick.  If the number #3 pick was that much better then the #3 pick would have been the number #1 pick

For those of you talking about the position a player plays that is ridiculous.  That is like Flacco should make more than the players drafted ahead of him just because he plays QB.

goatehall (5/22/2008)

What are you talking about?  34.5 - 27 is more than 200k a year in bonus money.  I took off and extra year and $7.5million in guarantees.  I just don't feel the #3 pick should get more in guarantees than the #1 pick.  If the number #3 pick was that much better then the #3 pick would have been the number #1 pick

For those of you talking about the position a player plays that is ridiculous.  That is like Flacco should make more than the players drafted ahead of him just because he plays QB.

Ok fine. $350,000 a year in bonus money, and 2 million dollars in base salary is your contention? You're #####ing joking..... right?

Ya know I never thought we had the worst fans in the league but everyday on here I get closer and closer to thinking it because of stuff like this.  No matter what happens to this team it will never be good enough or satisfy some of the naysayers.  There could be 15 gold bricks for the taking under every seat in the Dome for every game and people would complain that the bricks are too heavy....its sickening.

Ok fine. $350,000 a year in bonus money, and 2 million dollars in base salary is your contention? You're #####ing joking..... right?

It is the overall amount of total guarantees and the years and total salary.  Just like many talked about Vick and his signing bonus still being on the books.  If there is less overall signing bonus then there is less potential for dead money on the books. 

Say Ryan for whatever reason is not able to play out the contract remember this is the NFL.  Instead of being on the hook for 34.5million the FO would only be on the hook for $27million.  The point of the conversation was that the #3 pick should have less money in guarantees than the #1pick. Don't care of the contract is 1yr, 10yrs.

Well, that's a terrible point. I would cede that number 3 pick should have less guaranteed money than the number 1 pick.... if their contracts were for the same length. But they arent. You cant take put your head in the sand for the sake of your argument, you have to put it into context. 

And I cant believe that fans of a team are upset that signed their QB for 6 years and not 5. That's just silly. 6 years has been the standard for top draft picks over the years. The only point of contention this year is the upcoming CBA.

logic (5/22/2008)
Matt "Ryan" Leaf?

WOW! Just WOW!

YOu're an idiot and a disgrace to this fanbase. Please find another team to cheer for.