Ryans real contract.................

Ryans deal only counted 2.6 million against the salary cap. He earns 56 million the first 5 years which is 11 mill per year. (average  for QB) 16 million is pushed into year 6 which by then they would have restructured the deal. He essentially got a 5 year 55 million with 34.5 mill guranteed.

Sun Tzu 7 (5/21/2008)
It's always about the guarnteed money.

Jake Long had a low cap hit his first year and Ryan is the same way....  then it will probably take a BIG jump next season.

That is the only way that would work.  34.75/6=5.79 otherwise.  That would be most of the 7M rookie pool without even getting into his salary.

automax (5/21/2008)
Except, that we won't be sitting Ryan the way that the Browns are sitting Quinn. We have no Derek Anderson.

Redman can hold the fort down for the 2008 season if the Falcons decide it would be best to sit Ryan for the first season. Honestly, I think that they should him and let him get stronger and faster so that in 2009 he is aptly prepared for the NFL game.

Redman can hold the fort down for the 2008 season if the Falcons decide it would be best to sit Ryan for the first season. Honestly, I think that they should him and let him get stronger and faster so that in 2009 he is aptly prepared for the NFL game.
part of me agrees with you bout this if redman gos out there and kills it and gets a good buzz bout him we could get some good draft pick(s) for him since we do have are ryan investment we know he IS going to start sometime:w00t:
Hash (5/21/2008)

Redman looked fine last year and should at least get enough time in to get Ryan somewhat prepared.  It can't hurt with Ryan's incentives either.  I would hate to get Ryan killed before he even understands what an NFL sack feels like.

Sun Tzu 7 (5/21/2008)
It's always about the guarnteed money.

Jake Long had a low cap hit his first year and Ryan is the same way.... then it will probably take a BIG jump next season.

The other thing we need to see is what sort of contracts are signed AFTER the opt - out from the CBA. They seemed in a rather big hurry to get it done BEFORE the opt out.