EVER WONDER WHY YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR NFL NETWORK NOW?

Comcast v. The NFL

Filed under: AtlantaBraves Comcast MLB NFL

Sporting News - Email this blog E-MAIL

Sporting News - Print this article PRINT

COMMENTS 0 Sporting News - User Comments

May 18, 2008 09:56 PM

Comcast is being sued by the NFL in several states but now a complaint has been filed with the FCC by the NFL. The league claims that Comcast moving the NFL Network from basic cable to a digital sports tier was retaliation for the NFL refusing to sell an eight game package to Versus, a channel Comcast owns. After the NFL didn t agree to Comcast s request, the cable company s CEO, Brian Roberts, reportedly said, Your relationships with the cable industry are going to get very interesting. This quote was perceived as a threat by Comcast and was followed by the decision to move NFL Network to a specialized tier that would make it less likely for viewers to watch the league s television channel.

Comcast claims the quote was misinterpreted and was not a threat. They say that the decision to move the NFL Network off of basic coverage was based on the high cost of the channel and lack of live sports coverage relative to Versus. Previously Comcast had claimed that the channel was niche programming, an argument undermined by the inclusion of the Golf Channel on basic coverage. Comcast owns the Golf Channel.

The real issue is whether the NFL can prove that Comcast was discriminating against a channel it doesn t own in favor of channels it does own.

magnus23 (5/19/2008)
Comcast v. The NFL

Comcast is being sued by the NFL in several states but now a complaint has been filed with the FCC by the NFL. The league claims that Comcast moving the NFL Network from basic cable to a digital sports tier was retaliation for the NFL refusing to sell an eight game package to Versus, a channel Comcast owns. After the NFL didn t agree to Comcast s request, the cable company s CEO, Brian Roberts, reportedly said, Your relationships with the cable industry are going to get very interesting. This quote was perceived as a threat by Comcast and was followed by the decision to move NFL Network to a specialized tier that would make it less likely for viewers to watch the league s television channel.

Comcast claims the quote was misinterpreted and was not a threat. They say that the decision to move the NFL Network off of basic coverage was based on the high cost of the channel and lack of live sports coverage relative to Versus. Previously Comcast had claimed that the channel was niche programming, an argument undermined by the inclusion of the Golf Channel on basic coverage. Comcast owns the Golf Channel.

The real issue is whether the NFL can prove that Comcast was discriminating against a channel it doesn t own in favor of channels it does own.

Don't care because cable blows and Dish rules....thank you for my better video/better sound and NFL network - all cheaper than cable.

Qwned

magnus23 (5/19/2008)
Comcast v. The NFL

It always cost...you had to have a least "the digital starter" package w/comcast to get it.  That package costs a lil more than the basic.

Yep!  I dropped TW mid-season because they had no plans of adding NFL Network.  They tried to say that the NFL was being greedy and offered me a bunch of free pay per view movies and discounted service.  I was like "Does that come with NFL Network?"  She said "No" and I promptly said, "Thanks but I have no interest in keeping cable then."

.:st.anger:. (5/19/2008)
magnus23 (5/19/2008)
Comcast v. The NFL

Don't care because cable blows and Dish rules....thank you for my better video/better sound and NFL network - all cheaper than cable.

Qwned

I have Charter cable (Comcast not available) and they had NFL Network for free for about two months then they just dropped it altogether.  I would switched to satellite to get NFLN but I have at least 8 TV's in my house and get charged per set is just insulting.

mark hunter (5/19/2008)
would be great to get nfl network free again but i really dont mind paying $5 a month for it, although i dont watch any of the other channels that come with it

Those channels are so bad. I can see teh NBA channel if you're a fan, but the others are like "the fishing channel" and "Lame Sports News Daily". It's such a joke. Comcast is pissing me off in like 50 other ways. As soon as another provider gets there stuff together I will switch in a heartbeat.