I don't want to scare anybody but

I was looking over the lineup last night and the TE position is lacking, on paper. Then I looked at the players we had for DT and ouch. Then I looked CB and was only alittle scared.

On paper last years TEs, DTs and CBs was better than this years... IF Turner gets injured we are...

Gnorts (5/16/2008)
I was looking over the lineup last night and the TE position is lacking, on paper. Then I looked at the players we had for DT and ouch. Then I looked CB and was only alittle scared.

On paper last years TEs, DTs and CBs was better than this years... IF Turner gets injured we are...

I don't think Turner getting hurt (if it's not preseason and out for the year, but for a few games) is going to affect us that much. We have great depth. If he goes down, I really feel like Thomas Brown could complement Norwood pretty well.

Gnorts (5/16/2008)

Are you serious, I think on paper we are much better off a TE than last year, and I think the addition of K. Morehead, Frazier, and Moore will if nothing else add depth to the position, and at Corner Back the only loss was overated

Mularky's offensive schemes have never utilized the TE position for much other than blocking schemes which is what Hartstock is known for being a blocking TE - TEs under him always consistently had low numbers - as for as defensive line I agree we should have picked up at least 1 vet for depth

Actually for the scheme we run our TE depth is really good. Hartsock is a better blocking TE than Alge was. Milner started to come along at the end of last year which i was pretty happy about. Cooper i still think has some great receiving skills and i hope we keep him. Don't know much about zinger but i heard he can run block pretty well. That's 4 TE's so our depth there is pretty good overall.

Also if healthy we have descent DT depth also. I still would like to sign grady back for NT to complete it. But just because you haven't heard of many of the DT's we got on the rostor now doesn't mean their not that good :) I think depth there is pretty good as well if we get lewis back and sign grady then we will have really to many DT's and would have to release someone like stanley possibly.

CB i have no problems with. I didn't think we needed chevis in the 1st place but don't have a problem with him on the team just adds more good depth. Houston, Chevis, Grimes, Irons, and Hutchins is a pretty deep CB rotation.

In all seriousness i think we are better off this year than last just because we have so much depth now with talent even in our depth players.

bullitt07 (5/16/2008)
From what I've seen of Hartsock, I'm not worried at all about TE.

Agreed.. I like the size and potential of several of our TE's. From what I've heard in this system the TE will be used as an OL on several run/pass plays and we've got some great potential from that standpoint.

emt861 (5/16/2008)
Gnorts (5/16/2008)

Are you serious, I think on paper we are much better off a TE than last year, and I think the addition of K. Morehead, Frazier, and Moore will if nothing else add depth to the position, and at Corner Back the only loss was overated

You must be crazy if you think replacing Dlow with chevis is good.

I'm not scared...I just read The Falcons Team Report.  These guys want to play!  They are much more motivated than last year's team.  You should go and read the part about the progression of "Matty-Ice" and how he's asking for DVD's of the practices and coming back the next day getting guys lined up and all....anytime a guy is willing to "learn and study" what it is he's suppose to do...I'll take that guy anyday.  "Fundamentally talented" beats "Raw Talent" anyday in my book. :smooooth:

bossFALCON (5/16/2008)
our TEs are run blockers, which we need. we run the cover 2 which puts more emphasis on the safeties. we dont really need champ bailey, d.hall, nnamdi asomugha, al harris, etc. corners.

only thing that was better last year was probably DT.

Even though Hartsock is primarily a blocking TE, don't sleep on his ability as a receiver.  I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Mr.900 (5/16/2008)
emt861 (5/16/2008)
Gnorts (5/16/2008)

You must be crazy if you think replacing Dlow with chevis is good.

Then smack me and call me crazy.......at least I wont see a guy making millions getting beat by every good receiver we face.   D. Hall = OVERATED!!!!!

JDB259 (5/16/2008)
Gnorts (5/16/2008)

I don't think Turner getting hurt (if it's not preseason and out for the year, but for a few games) is going to affect us that much. We have great depth. If he goes down, I really feel like Thomas Brown could complement Norwood pretty well.

Good point!

Gnorts (5/16/2008)
I was looking over the lineup last night and the TE position is lacking, on paper...

Don't belive the hype. There's a different type of TE in Atlanta. They have signed guys in the vein of Reggie Kelly -- prototypical blockers not your receiving TE's like Alge Crumpler. These no-names are going to be fine. They've got a simple job, block and protect. Don't expect to judge their production like we have in the past. Crumpler spoiled us. We're going to have to get used to TE's being used in a much more fundamental way.

Gnorts (5/16/2008)

FORGET BEING SCARED. LET COME WHAT MAY. THIS IS FOOTBALL. GNORTS I REMEMBER A LITTLE WHILE BACK YOU SAID YOU WERE DUMPING THE FALCONS. GLAD YOU'RE STILL HERE, BUT DON'T BE SCARED, LET THE OTHER TEAMS GET SCARED BECAUSE THEY'RE ABOUT TO SEE SOMETHING NEW FROM THE FALCONS ......... "AN ATTITUDE."

I think you overrate all of our problems at those aformentioned positions. The only one i would truly be worried about is CB..just because of the youth we have at that position.

DT's we brought in like 3 FA's and i seriously think they will make a good rotation. The only way we could have upgraded DT was thru Glenn Dorsey, but we chose not to go that route so i think what we have done instead is a fine alternative. If rod coleman can get healthy i'd love to bring him back too.

TE i think were fine. I was really upset about losing a leader in Crump...but i truly knew that he wasnt contributing last year. He dropped way too many passes. But im sure gonna miss wearing that 83 Crump..Hartsock will be a fine replacement, for now. We'll see if milner or zinger can develop into anything good in the next couple seasons.

Legion (5/17/2008)
I like Hartsock and Milner. Hartsock is a better receiver than you guys may think. Also, Moore is a beast, I like Fraser at 300lbs and he plays like a DT isntead of a DE. I don't know much about Kindal Moorehead though.

link to moorehead's stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/kindalmoorehead...le?id=MOO787263

DT -- I think when we opened the season last year Coleman and Gravy train were the starters.  They both are available now, so how can we be worse-off than last year?  We need to get a stud at this position in next year's draft, and we may pick up another player this year after the June 1st cuts.  But, in the meantime, we could have a solid 'rotation' if Lewis makes a full recovery.

CB -- DHall is a better corner right now than whoever will play opposite Houston this year.  However, in the cover 2 scheme, Jackson could be the 'stronger' player if he has help deep.  Our depth should be better this year with Hutchins, and Irons & Grimes being more experienced.

TE -- Crump was 'the man' at one point, but even though he still has some gas left in the tank, he is on the downside of his career.  Crumpler was Vick's favorite target often to the extent that our WR's were underutilized.  From a blocking standpoint (which seems to be #1 in the new offense) we are better off this year.  Our talented wideouts should more than pick-up the slack in the reception department.

chuck (5/17/2008)
DT -- I think when we opened the season last year Coleman and Gravy train were the starters. They both are available now, so how can we be worse-off than last year? We need to get a stud at this position in next year's draft, and we may pick up another player this year after the June 1st cuts. But, in the meantime, we could have a solid 'rotation' if Lewis makes a full recovery.

CB -- DHall is a better corner right now than whoever will play opposite Houston this year. However, in the cover 2 scheme, Jackson could be the 'stronger' player if he has help deep. Our depth should be better this year with Hutchins, and Irons & Grimes being more experienced.

TE -- Crump was 'the man' at one point, but even though he still has some gas left in the tank, he is on the downside of his career. Crumpler was Vick's favorite target often to the extentthat our WR's were underutilized. From a blocking standpoint (which seems to be #1 in the new offense) we are better off this year. Our talented wideouts should more than pick-up the slack in the reception department.

You basically say the same thing as everyone else so i will comment here.

I hear Lewis is not coming back for awhile. So we have a lot of no names at DT... Ouch

Cover 2 is a basic defence where the safeties can only help with 2/3 of the deep field. It's still going to leave a corner in a one on one... ouch. And didn't Hutchins play Safety last year not corner? (Hutchins is our best corner either way)

If blocking is all that matter for a TE then way not put in a lineman........ Silence... Ya TE's that can't catch are from an age long dead. A catching TE is the best way to attack the cover 2. Which everyone uses... Who was that TE we had two years ago that was an ex lineman? He could block.

By the sounds of it we are going to run, run, pass, punt all year. Funny but knowing this, we would win more with DJ Shock at QB...

We are going to be the 1996 Saints by the looks of it...

Five wins is all I ask. Six if we have no injuries.

The way i see it, posters are being a lil 'homeristic' here...

The defensive depth is questionable in all position except LB imo. Our DT rotation may or may not be any good, that is yet to be seen as there are really no 'proven' players on our roster. I would like to see Gravy signed to a 1 year deal. We know he can play the position well, and that leaves just a rotation for UT to sort out...

DE should be fine, as long as Abe keeps healthy and Anderson can improve on his rookie season play... Davis is a good, reliable backup.

Our safeties arnt world beaters either. Milloy isnt as good as he once was, and is somewhat shaky in coverage. Our CB's are going to need all the help they can get. We have a 2nd year player starting, and a bunch of low tier FA signings and yet posters on here are claiming we are now actually stronger than when we had DLo locking down the opposing teams #1 receiver. That is laughable imho... We may have better depth, but we certainly dont have better starters, whatever your opinion of DLo is...

I think/hope the defense can do well, but think we are a game changing DT and S away from being a very good defense... Our CB's just need experience...

Gnorts (5/18/2008)
chuck (5/17/2008)
DT -- I think when we opened the season last year Coleman and Gravy train were the starters. They both are available now, so how can we be worse-off than last year? We need to get a stud at this position in next year's draft, and we may pick up another player this year after the June 1st cuts. But, in the meantime, we could have a solid 'rotation' if Lewis makes a full recovery.

CB -- DHall is a better corner right now than whoever will play opposite Houston this year. However, in the cover 2 scheme, Jackson could be the 'stronger' player if he has help deep. Our depth should be better this year with Hutchins, and Irons & Grimes being more experienced.

TE -- Crump was 'the man' at one point, but even though he still has some gas left in the tank, he is on the downside of his career. Crumpler was Vick's favorite target often to the extentthat our WR's were underutilized. From a blocking standpoint (which seems to be #1 in the new offense) we are better off this year. Our talented wideouts should more than pick-up the slack in the reception department.

You basically say the same thing as everyone else so i will comment here.

I hear Lewis is not coming back for awhile. So we have a lot of no names at DT... Ouch

Cover 2 is a basic defence where the safeties can only help with 2/3 of the deep field. It's still going to leave a corner in a one on one... ouch. And didn't Hutchins play Safety last year not corner? (Hutchins is our best corner either way)

If blocking is all that matter for a TE then way not put in a lineman........ Silence... Ya TE's that can't catch are from an age long dead. A catching TE is the best way to attack the cover 2. Which everyone uses... Who was that TE we had two years ago that was an ex lineman? He could block.

By the sounds of it we are going to run, run, pass, punt all year. Funny but knowing this, we would win more with DJ Shock at QB...

We are going to be the 1996 Saints by the looks of it...

Five wins is all I ask. Six if we have no injuries.

Hutchins is not our best CB,Houston is.