Gazoo - You were right

Gazoo, remember your debate on how harsh fans here would be on a new young QB? Well you were absolutely right. There is more anti-Ryan junk flying around on these boards than I would hae ever imagined. I thought that people that posted here were actually Falcons fans, but many are not -  they are wishing for Ryan to fail.

You hit the nail on the head. (just calling it like I see it)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draft Day was so much different, I wonder what happened. There was some anti-Ryan stuff on draft day, but there was an overwhelming support for him and I was pleasantly surprised. But I guess the worms were just waiting for the rain before crawling out of the dirt.

Guest Gritz

I like to think that I'm a fairly bright guy but I can't for the life of me understand why a fan of a team would profess to dislike or predict the failure of a just-drafted player.

I understand questioning a draft pick, but yeah, some people want Matt Ryan to fail. Wanting Matt Ryan to fail is the same thing as wanting the Falcons to suck for the next 5 years. If he doesn't pan out, that's how far back we are set, 3 years for developement, if he fails, then we draft another QB, then you have to wait about 2 years to get his best production.

rev_hal (5/14/2008)
Gazoo, remember your debate on how harsh fans here would be on a new young QB? Well you were absolutely right. There is more anti-Ryan junk flying around on these boards than I would hae ever imagined. I thought that people that posted here were actually Falcons fans, but many are not -  they are wishing for Ryan to fail.

Rev,

What really is unfortunate is that Ryan has an enormous bullseye on his back by some fans and they will exaggerate each and every mistake he makes and pretend this proves he was a bad pick. It's going to be really ugly for a while.

I have no idea if he's going to work out or not, but I am supporting him 100% during his development and fully anticipate he's going to have a steep learning curve with lots of mistakes.

Heck, Peyton Manning had a real rough first year loaded with mistakes, but that will be ignored. I think Manning won 3 games his rookie year, and Troy Aikman only won 1 game his rookie year.....but just atch around here whe we lose games, Ryan wil be singled out as the reason we lost and it will be said he just doesn;t have what it takes to lead a team.

gritblitzer (5/14/2008)
I like to think that I'm a fairly bright guy but I can't for the life of me understand why a fan of a team would profess to dislike or predict the failure of a just-drafted player.

Because it's Atlanta and the people that live here enjoy making themselves look like the biggest morons in the United States.

Heådshø (5/14/2008)
gritblitzer (5/14/2008)

Because it's Atlanta and the people that live here enjoy making themselves look like the biggest morons in the United States.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF HEADSHOT. :)

buckeyes (5/14/2008)
It is not anti ryan to say he needs a year to develop in practice and the wieght room before he is thrown out there.  Next year we are going to be the envy of the NFL at QB with 2 good young QBs.  As much as you may want him out there this year it would hurt him.

Ryan is already better than Harrington...and Redmon won 1 game...so I'm convinced that "Matty-Ice" can steer us to atleast 4 or 5 wins....:Whistling:

buckeyes (5/14/2008)
It is not anti ryan to say he needs a year to develop in practice and the wieght room before he is thrown out there.  Next year we are going to be the envy of the NFL at QB with 2 good young QBs.  As much as you may want him out there this year it would hurt him.

No one is arguing that. I doubt Ryan sees much playing time at all this season.

rev_hal (5/14/2008)

What year did this message board first start?

Rev AL Sharpton (5/14/2008)
All these support Ryan threads, have become ironic:w00t:

That is where you and your ilk are totally wrong. THis is not a "support Ryan" thread. It's a support the FALCONS thread. How can you be a fan of a team if you want your QB to fail? You are just a fan of certain players. When your favorite player is gone, you cast stones at the other players.

We don't need you folks. It's time to trim the herd.

july425 (5/14/2008)
rev_hal (5/14/2008)

I think Gazoo and a few others were around as early as 1996 or 97.

We need to be strong and united as a fanbase. Fans contribute to a franchise success. If we have a weak fanbase, the franchise will like crumble. The AJC should be blame for contributing to the troll against the Falcons Franchise ( actually all ATL Sport teams). They need to fire Terrence Moore and Jeff Schutlz.

I just think that there are a lot of people who wanted Glenn Dorsey when he was available.

True, we needed a QB, but I really think that some of the fans are just thinking that our Dline isn't as good as the coaching staff seems to think.  We didn't draft ANY DTs. To many fans that is just a major oversight.

We could have gotten a starting QB in the second round. But starting DTs were only available in the top 10.

I think that the Ryan stuff has less to do with Ryan as much to do with lack of DTs that many fans thought that we needed to address.

We have all afterthoughts as DTs.  We need some players in there who can cause problems and prtectr the weak secondary. 

I'm not seeing where this is a big issue. The "Ryan Hate" is greatly over-exaggerated, there are not that many threads declaring that he will fail, most fans are being optimistic, and with the way our wonderful mods have set it up, the absolute worst representation of the Falcon fanbase ends up in TATF and even makes the rest of the Falcons boards avoid it. If anything, it should be shocking how insignificant the "hate" is.

rev_hal (5/14/2008)
Rev AL Sharpton (5/14/2008)
All these support Ryan threads, have become ironic:w00t:

That is where you and your ilk are totally wrong. THis is not a "support Ryan" thread. It's a support the FALCONS thread. How can you be a fan of a team if you want your QB to fail? You are just a fan of certain players. When your favorite player is gone, you cast stones at the other players.

We don't need you folks. It's time to trim the herd.

You, my friend....are not the standard maker, for this fan base. And your opinions, do not out weigh mines. Show me, one place...one post, where I said I want Ryan to fail. Furthermore, there is an extreme difference in wanting him to fail and thinking he was a reach, at the number 3 pick and will be an average QB. You on the other hand, translate that to mean Anyone who thinks he'll be a bust, doesn't support this franchise. Which is simply, your opinion.

rev_hal as 1996 or 97.

LOL, it has been a decade or so.

I recall  MWJR,  SacFalcFan and me, having epic argument threads at dial up internet speed back then...it was hilarious.  There were not a lot of us that posted but there were NO TROLLS back then which was nice.

rev_hal (5/14/2008)
july425 (5/14/2008)
rev_hal (5/14/2008)

I think Gazoo and a few others were around as early as 1996 or 97.

So its at least 10 years old. One thing to remember about the number of threads that seem more critical....if you've been on the same message boards for a good length of time, like  5 years or so...you probably notice that on all of them, there has been an increasing shift in the tone all across every kind of message board that is open to the public. I bet if you could compare just one week of threads from each year, starting with the inception of this board, until now, you would see what I mean. I've just noticed a venom towards athletes in general on various message boards and this one is no exception other than a lot of people didn't like the #3 pick....but at least no one here, from what I've seen, has attacked Ryan as an individual, its always as a QB/football player.

Ryan is actually in a pretty good situation here.  While we can be quite harsh on these boards, in reality, we are fanatic microcosm of the sports culture in this city, which by comparison to other cities is fairly tepid.

Ryan while being under a microscope, will not face the type of scrutiny he would face in other major market (i.e: Rex Grossman & Chicago).  That said, in my short evaluation time period of him, he seems to have:

1)  A very mature outlook to his situation

2)  A passion for every aspect of being a QB, a leader and the game of football as a whole.

3)  The necessary outlook to know that the transition to the NFL won't be easy, but will be made easier by a strong work ethic and openness to learning.

As for the blokes on this board...performance ultimately dicates emotion in the eyes of the true sports fan.  Ryan will have his detractors at first only because it's easier to tear down that to build up.  Hopefully Ryan's approval rating 2-3 years from now is high because that will mean he (and in turn the Falcons) will have turned this thing around.

I'll also say that it takes a real dickhole to imply that some fans that don't immediately support every decision should drop the team. Why not just say you want the board to be flooded with young teens that just picked up the sport and will stand behind everything whoever is in charge decides?