CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

About 120 shots from Washington, DC from the 2nd half of May. The wife and I spent 10 days taking in the sights for the 1st time. We really enjoyed everything and if you haven't been to DC, it's workth taking in. Some shots aren't really my favorite and didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but oh well....chalk them up to the experience.

About 120 shots from Washington, DC from the 2nd half of May. The wife and I spent 10 days taking in the sights for the 1st time. We really enjoyed everything and if you haven't been to DC, it's workth taking in. Some shots aren't really my favorite and didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but oh well....chalk them up to the experience.

These look pretty good. Great composition on quite a few, and the wildlife shots came out nicely. What are you using?

These look pretty good. Great composition on quite a few, and the wildlife shots came out nicely. What are you using?

Mookie, so I looked back a few pages and might have answered my own question. Still using the Canon 7d w/ 24-70 2.8? Also, are you using a tripod or monopod on most of these, or hand holding?

Thanks. Canon 7D is a definite and I used 3 different lenses on this trip. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (1st copy that has been replaced by a ridiculously priced newer version), Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, and a Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L (wildlife shots were taken with this one). I use a tripod on as many of the HDR shots as possible. The 7D does a quick burst of 3 different shots at different exposures that I used quite a bit when I couldn't use a tripod. There were some places where I could prop up against a tree or set the camera on a wall, etc and let that act like a tripod. There are several that were 7 exposures and handheld. All of the wildlife with the 70-300 were handheld. I was able to get in lots of practice in early spring shooting at 300mm handheld and panning with a pair of Bald Eagles at Berry College here in Rome, Ga.

Thanks. Canon 7D is a definite and I used 3 different lenses on this trip. Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (1st copy that has been replaced by a ridiculously priced newer version), Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, and a Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L (wildlife shots were taken with this one). I use a tripod on as many of the HDR shots as possible. The 7D does a quick burst of 3 different shots at different exposures that I used quite a bit when I couldn't use a tripod. There were some places where I could prop up against a tree or set the camera on a wall, etc and let that act like a tripod. There are several that were 7 exposures and handheld. All of the wildlife with the 70-300 were handheld. I was able to get in lots of practice in early spring shooting at 300mm handheld and panning with a pair of Bald Eagles at Berry College here in Rome, Ga.

That's a pretty nice camera from what I've read, and that 24-70 f/2.8 is obviously a fantastic pice of glass judging by the way it's capturing light in these shots... especially the one's taken in a low light situation. Expensive lens, but well worth it. i'd love to get something like that, but I'm no where near financially ready to take that kind of plunge yet. Just picked up my first DSLR a few months ago (a Nikon D5100) & have been getting the hang of things on my own. I did pick up a Nikon 35mm f/1.8, a Sigma 8mm-16mm f/4.5-5.6, and a Sigma 18mm-200mm f/3.5-6.3 in addition to the Nikon 18mm-55mm kit lens. The 8-16 is great... 8mm is crazy wide, yet it doesn't get the fisheye type distortion almost every other lens gets at 12mm or lower. The 18-200 is a nice travel lens, but I feel like something with a longer zoom would be much better for wildlife.

Did some hiking up at Black Rock Mountain State Park on 6 July. We ran into this guy. Copperhead snake who was all fight and no flight. He refused to yield the trail to us despite us trying to nudge him with walking sticks. We left him unmolested. The Edmund back country trail at Black Rock Mountain is a very challenging 7 mile hill march. A lot of fun despite the monsoon like rains that fell just about the entire time.

Blkrock7061329_zpsb735a1ca.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What lens were you using? Almost has a fish eye look to some of the pics.

I used a Sigma 8-16mm ultra wide for all of these. 8mm is insanely wide & most lenses that get in that range are fish eye lenses. Most of the time this Sigma is remarkably distortion free for being so wide, although inevitably some will occur when shooting something really close at a strange angle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...