CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!

since we've got a photography thread, i'll post it here, but just upgraded from my Canon XTi to a Canon 7D with 24-70mm f/2.8L series lens. i can't believe the learning curve that this thing has, but the lens is amazing. just looking at pics on the lcd screen, the difference is night and day compared to my XTi with the kit lens. i'm pretty stoked, so now i have to learn a new camera.....lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the day off on Friday, so while the wife was on a cruise with her mom, figured that I would enjoy and nice long weekend with the dog. I ended up going out to Berry College here in Rome, Ga so here are some pics with the new 7D and 24-70 f/2.8L

Bale of hay on the mountain campus out near Possum Trot Church

HayBaleSigned.jpg

Possum Trot Church....I was very disappointed to see that they've boarded up some of the windows. They have desks, pews, and books that dated from the early 1900's that were visible through the windows.

PossumTrotChurchSigned.jpg

Frost Chapel, where the wife and I tied the knot...

FrostChapelSigned.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thoughts from you photographer guys on the Canon T2i for a good started DSLR? I'm an old school 35mm SLR guy, and am wanting to go digital. I picked this particular Canon because I already have lens that will fit it from the 35mm SLR. So, thoughts? Value? Etc....

Thoughts from you photographer guys on the Canon T2i for a good started DSLR? I'm an old school 35mm SLR guy, and am wanting to go digital. I picked this particular Canon because I already have lens that will fit it from the 35mm SLR. So, thoughts? Value? Etc....

i've never used a T2i, but i've heard good things about it. Canon also has the T3i out as well as the 60D. i'm currently using the 7D and absolutely LOVE the camera. the T2i seems to be a solid starter DSLR from what i've read the past few minutes. it has some features that while they're solid features, i personally wouldn't be happy with after moving up to a 7D about 8 months ago. both the T2i have the same processor, are about the same size and weight, both do 3.7 fps (frames per second), same MP, but for about $100 or $200 more, i like the upgraded features of the T3i better and find the price difference to be worth it. the T3i has the LCD that will flip out and can be turned for shots where you might hold the camera over your head, etc and the video on the T3i is HD.

i played with a 60D that a guy in my photo club has to show him how to bracket pics for HDR and i just didn't like the feel. it had more of a plastic feel compared to my 7D. the best advice that i can offer though is to go to a camera store and hold several different model's and see what feels good in your hands and what's in your budget for what you plan to use it for. if you're in atlanta, i recently checked out Showcase Photo and was really impressed with their selection.

i've never used a T2i, but i've heard good things about it. Canon also has the T3i out as well as the 60D. i'm currently using the 7D and absolutely LOVE the camera. the T2i seems to be a solid starter DSLR from what i've read the past few minutes. it has some features that while they're solid features, i personally wouldn't be happy with after moving up to a 7D about 8 months ago. both the T2i have the same processor, are about the same size and weight, both do 3.7 fps (frames per second), same MP, but for about $100 or $200 more, i like the upgraded features of the T3i better and find the price difference to be worth it. the T3i has the LCD that will flip out and can be turned for shots where you might hold the camera over your head, etc and the video on the T3i is HD.

i played with a 60D that a guy in my photo club has to show him how to bracket pics for HDR and i just didn't like the feel. it had more of a plastic feel compared to my 7D. the best advice that i can offer though is to go to a camera store and hold several different model's and see what feels good in your hands and what's in your budget for what you plan to use it for. if you're in atlanta, i recently checked out Showcase Photo and was really impressed with their selection.

Let me chime in about Showcase. I was a customer for many years long ago. Way back then, they were one of the few locations that had a C41 machine to process C41 color film as well as the Ilford XP1 film. I was doing motorsports photography for a publication and I would drop my film off at lunch to be processed, then after work, go pick it up and print photos to send to the publishers. One time, I dropped of a dozen or so rolls form a race and was PROMISED they would be ready by that afternoon. When I arrived later in the day, they could not find the processed film. Turns out they never did process the film. I told them I can wait while they process it as I had a Wednesday deadline(this was Monday). They told me the machine was shut down for the day and they could not restart it. I explained to them my situation and their promise and that they failed on their promise. That's when they became belligerent and rude. I made them retrieve my unprocessed film and told them I will never purchase any product or services from them ever again. I also mentioned that my employer buys products and services from them and I will make sure we end that practice. Finally, I told them I would tell everyone I know, interested in photography to NEVER buy products or services from Showcase.

I had to beg the publisher to allow me an extra day to get my photos processed and printed. Fortunately, my contact at the magazine was cool.

If you want good prices and good service, try KEH camera. They are an online only retailer. If you live in Atlanta, you can order the product and pick it up, but they do not have a showroom. KEH

I bought my last Nikon from them.

this recent visit of mine to Showcase was my first time there after hearing of it over the past couple of years. since i live an hour and a half away, i mostly went in to try out a couple of UWA lenses to determine which i'd like to rent for a june vacation.

i'm sure that doing business with deadlines involved is a completely different ball game, but for a selection to look through and help make a decision, i was pleased with what they had to offer. sadly though, there's nowhere local for me that has a decent selection of camera equipment. our one local camera and print shop just announced that they were closing after 43 years, so i'll have to check out what they have marked down that's not 20 years old.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...