Shiney_McShine

CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!

800 posts in this topic

After a non-active morning at the eagles nest, I decided to call it a day a little after lunch as the clouds for tonight's storms were moving in. As I was leaving, I noticed one of the occasionally seen fox squirrels trotting along the top of the fence to my left. I turned around and parked on a pull off near the check in station. As I quickly walked along the fence line hoping to get a couple of shots off, the little bugger was chased off by a grey squirrel. I could hear them tussling in the pine straw and leaves and saw the grey squirrel scurry off as I approached. The Fox Squirrel, however, stood his ground and posed with is prize while I snapped away.  I don't think that I could have posed him any better.

34167653296_f30dd52063_c.jpgFox Squirrel 1.3 by Jason, on Flickr

33366088294_3067ba90e7_c.jpgFox Squirrel 3 by Jason, on Flickr

33366087014_c0fd96ee57_c.jpgFox Squirrel 5 by Jason, on Flickr

On 3/9/2017 at 7:49 PM, mookie3127 said:

A local walking bridge that was once a railroad bridge.  It has a center column that allowed the bridge to turn so that steamboats and other large boats could pass under it back in the day.  Now that it's a walking bridge, the city of Rome, Ga has added an American Flag made out of lights and the locals have started to add "locks of love" to the bridge.

32981286895_ac0b86c25f_c.jpgFlag Bridge 1 by Jason, on Flickr

Really enjoy the angle of this. I've been there a few times. 

mookie3127 likes this

On 4/13/2017 at 7:56 PM, mookie3127 said:

Went to Old Car City in White, Ga yesterday and had a blast photographing some rusty classics and some of the details on them.  Here are a few of my favorites.

33178100854_5f1b118679_c.jpgOCC 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie by Jason, on Flickr

33980453696_2308ed8138_c.jpgOCC Hudson - 1 by Jason, on Flickr

33178097904_a274b3b16b_c.jpgOCC Pontiac - 1 by Jason, on Flickr

33208860073_481e92787e_c.jpgOCC De Soto - 1 by Jason, on Flickr

33178097174_6462d4391b_c.jpgOCC Studebaker by Jason, on Flickr

Well the allow models? And if so, is there a fee?

mookie3127 likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 10:09 PM, mookie3127 said:

After a non-active morning at the eagles nest, I decided to call it a day a little after lunch as the clouds for tonight's storms were moving in. As I was leaving, I noticed one of the occasionally seen fox squirrels trotting along the top of the fence to my left. I turned around and parked on a pull off near the check in station. As I quickly walked along the fence line hoping to get a couple of shots off, the little bugger was chased off by a grey squirrel. I could hear them tussling in the pine straw and leaves and saw the grey squirrel scurry off as I approached. The Fox Squirrel, however, stood his ground and posed with is prize while I snapped away.  I don't think that I could have posed him any better.on, on Flickr

speaking of squirrels... I got lucky enough to take this a few years ago. My aunt domesticates the squirrels so they have some interesting mannerisms around people

HQi2icl.jpg

SyIJ5Rk.jpg

XAJH9Ik.jpg

Edited by MACK2THEFUTURE

10 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Well the allow models? And if so, is there a fee?

They do allow models.  The standard admission is $25 if you're going to take any pictures or have any pictures taken of yourself.  If I read it correctly, the model would have to pay the $25 as well.

Old Car City

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

8 hours ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

Can I just ask for those monitoring this thread... are any of you full/part time photographers (more than a side job)?

Not me.  It's strictly a hobby/break from adulting for me.  I do a couple of local arts and crafts shows each year, but that's about it other than the occasional sale here and there.  My experience has been that the money (locally anyway) is in portraiture and events (senior portraits, children/newborn pics, engagement, maternity, etc. and weddings, corporate events).  Some people love it, but it's not for me.  I don't like people enough.  I've thought about asking a couple photographer buddies if I can shadow them when they do portrait work so that I can gain the experience.

MACK4ttACK likes this

6 hours ago, mozzie71 said:

Im a Canon guy.. 7D mkII... with the 70-200 2.8... that lens hardly ever comes off the camera :)

I was thinking you were a Canon guy.  Same here.  I have the 7DM2 as well and the 2nd generation of the 100-400 lives on mine.  It's my wildlife setup as I can handhold it.  I also bought a used 5DM3 recently and that camera is sweet!  So far, it's seen a steady use with the 1st generation Canon 24-70 f.8 and Canon 16-35 f/4 on it.  Plan on using the crap out of the 5DM3 and lenses in a little over a month when I go to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. 

6 hours ago, mozzie71 said:

BTW.. love that Pontiac pic... Can I get it as a wallpaper?? :)

Absolutely.  I'll try to work on getting that to you in the next couple of days.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:37 AM, mookie3127 said:

Thanks!  Rome has a few nice areas to photograph.  Are you from the area?

I'm in Grayson but I venture up there once a year

On 5/3/2017 at 10:55 PM, mookie3127 said:

I was thinking you were a Canon guy.  Same here.  I have the 7DM2 as well and the 2nd generation of the 100-400 lives on mine.  It's my wildlife setup as I can handhold it.  I also bought a used 5DM3 recently and that camera is sweet!  So far, it's seen a steady use with the 1st generation Canon 24-70 f.8 and Canon 16-35 f/4 on it.  Plan on using the crap out of the 5DM3 and lenses in a little over a month when I go to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. 

Absolutely.  I'll try to work on getting that to you in the next couple of days.

The 5d's do look nice.. I just never shoot landscape.. Im all portraits all the time... so the 7D works just fine.

Wildlife around here is a little boring.. you get sick of kangaroos after a while.. :)

mookie3127 likes this

Colleagues, my daughter is being born in a few weeks and I would like to invest in a point and shoot digital camera.  I don't need some big Canon with zoom lens attachments, just a good, point and shoot.  Would like to keep budget around $200 maybe?  Under?  I no nothing about cameras.

mookie3127 likes this

On 5/4/2017 at 7:07 PM, mozzie71 said:

The 5d's do look nice.. I just never shoot landscape.. Im all portraits all the time... so the 7D works just fine.

Wildlife around here is a little boring.. you get sick of kangaroos after a while.. :)

I'd gladly photography kangaroos for a while.  Maybe one day if I ever make it to Austrailia.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:34 PM, mozzie71 said:

Just followed on Flickr.. man your bird work is amazing!!!

Thank you, sir!  Sent you a PM about the Pontiac.  Returned the follow.  You've got some great stuff.  I may have to pick your brain on processing for portraiture.  I'd like to get into it a little more just for shots of the kiddo.

7 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Colleagues, my daughter is being born in a few weeks and I would like to invest in a point and shoot digital camera.  I don't need some big Canon with zoom lens attachments, just a good, point and shoot.  Would like to keep budget around $200 maybe?  Under?  I no nothing about cameras.

Is it just for the occasional snapshot, or would you want to do more with it, i.e. photograph other things like day trips with the family, record video, etc?  Do you think you'd have any interest in more control over the camera settings?  Since i shoot Canon, I'm more familiar with their lineup and the $200 range has several point and shoot options, but keep in mind, they're very basic.  The literal definition of point and shoot.  And at the point and shoot end of the spectrum, I found myself in the $250-$350 range for anything that I would consider.  I'm sure that Nikon and Sony have comparable products. 

Now if you're looking for something that you'd have a little more control over, I found a couple of Canon DSLR's in the $450-$500 range, but they do have interchangeable lenses.

5 hours ago, mookie3127 said:

I'd gladly photography kangaroos for a while.  Maybe one day if I ever make it to Austrailia.

Thank you, sir!  Sent you a PM about the Pontiac.  Returned the follow.  You've got some great stuff.  I may have to pick your brain on processing for portraiture.  I'd like to get into it a little more just for shots of the kiddo.

Well, If you are ever in Australia, let me know I'll put you up for a few nights... might even feed you! :)

I'm not sure how much help I would be.. but I'll give it a stab.. :) 

mookie3127 likes this

I was searching for camera inspired wallpapers for my computer and came across a similar shot, so I decided to try it myself.  I used my camera to make a picture of my other camera.

34322486560_a334494c01_c.jpgCanon 5DMIII by Jason, on Flickr

The wife, kiddo, and I went to Savannah over Memorial Day weekend.  Nice little get away.  Here are a few of the shots that I've processed so far.

This young man was one of several street musicians that we saw.

35111226785_80b6a8f0ef_c.jpgSavannah - 2 by Jason, on Flickr

A couple of sunsets from the rooftop pool at our hotel.

34946406702_404e86efbc_c.jpgSavannah - 3 by Jason, on Flickr

35111225045_bbf4a19311_c.jpgSavannah - 4 by Jason, on Flickr

Savannah River at night.  Taken from River Street.

35111224065_4cf68f2387_c.jpgSavannah - 5 by Jason, on Flickr

Just returned from Jackson Hole, Wyoming and had a fantastic time photographing the landscapes and wildlife that are there.  Here are some of my favorites from the first 2 batches that I've had a chance to process.

35286562321_69ee9688a4_c.jpgAntelope Flats, GTNP by Jason, on Flickr

35286558281_a707749e68_c.jpgAntelope Flats, GTNP by Jason, on Flickr

35286557331_1c91f0da5a_c.jpgGrand Teton NP by Jason, on Flickr

35286555171_13ec685878_c.jpgYellowstone NP Bison 1 by Jason, on Flickr