Shiney_McShine

CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!

800 posts in this topic

Juvenile Bald Eagle at Berry College. We assume that this is a female based on the size. He/She is quite larger than the dad and may actually be larger than the mom, but pretty close in size. It's so hard to tell if the eye is in focus on these juveniles as the eyes are so dark. If it's not in focus, it's pretty dang close!

14315623514_bf129ccda0_h.jpg

Falcon@Denmark likes this

10321061_487350494730533_6866643850570259791_o.jpg

Ok this was taken at the brightest time of day. I brought it down to -3.0 and had a filter on it. I know in lightroom I can adjust the exposure, but I am always afraid if it is to bright in the camera, then it's going to be crap. I guess I need to play with it.

but how is this for a waterfall picture during the day time around 2:00? and any suggestions?

ukfalc and Kevo like this

10426009_487363168062599_702845976_o.jpg?oh=e2deb40d883dbe731a0e3101d24074f5&oe=538FE4D9

I brought the red up a little. I hate doing pictures with to much to where it looks fake. I then lowered the yellow and greens (which were luckly in the background and did not affect the tractor). I lowered them to bring more focus on the tractor and her. Did I do fine or have I over did it with the red?

Kevo likes this

Just a little something different...

14189684769_ab0d859afb_b.jpg

that would be cool if you had a depth of field on it using a micro lense. And having it with just the top cut.

It would look like the wooded city to the ants.

that would be cool if you had a depth of field on it using a micro lense. And having it with just the top cut.

It would look like the wooded city to the ants.

Unfortunately I don't have Canon's macro. It's on my wish list, so I went with a 28mm prime.

My Sony DSC H90 camera seems to have gone full ****** on me. (randomly cycles through menu choices and turns itself on for no apparent reason). This weekend it stuck itself on VGA mode and all my pictures I took looked like a 16 bit nintendo game. It hasn't been the same since it got monsooned on at Black Rock Mountain State Park last fourth of July weekend, but Sunday it officially became unusable.

Can any of you fellow photographers recommend a replacement? I am super casual shooter who just likes to take pictures of scenic vistas and wild life I might see on my hikes. (We do long all day day hike once a weekend).

The camera above was "okay" but it was frustrating sometimes trying to take clear close up photos of creepy crawlies, snakes, flowers, etc. Not sure what to look for in features to promise decent close ups.

Taking far away scenic views was iffy with that camera too. Sometimes the shots turned out and sometimes it looked like I was shooting the pictures through cellophane....

Looking for something in the upper $300's range. (Though if something cheaper will do what I describe above that will work too) Not sure what features I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I don't follow other brands like Nikon and Sony all that closely, but Canon has a few options. I haven't personally used these, but I know a few people that have used the 1st one and like it. Maybe some of the other guys can recommend models made by some of the other companies.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889965-REG/Canon_PowerShot_SX50HS_Digital_Camera.html

These 2 are more advanced models and may do more than you're interested in, but they're nice camera's. I looked at the 1st one for my wife a couple of years ago and opted against it because it did way more than she needed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889961-REG/Canon_PowerShot_G15_Digital_Camera.html

Might be out of the price range, but it's the newer version of the one above.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000470-REG/canon_8406b001_powershot_g16_digital_camera.html

This one seems to be a higher end point and shoot that offers plenty of the basics as well as some advance features.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028802-REG/canon_9338b001_powershot_sx700_hs_digital.html

And this is the camera that I ended up getting the wife. It seems to have held up well and no issues or regrets.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B005IGVXO8

Again, I haven't used any of these (aside from the one I got for my wife), but they would be the Canon options that I'd consider. The 1st camera seems to be quite a popular one and I've seen several people using it at the eagle's nest that I go to. It'd probably be my top Canon option for what you described. But B&H Photo is fantastic and I've bought most of my gear from them. Unless I come across an insane deal that I can't pass up, they generally get my business.

Googlywoogly likes this

Get you something good at your price range. Don't worry about trying too find a camera good for distance. Because you can add a lense down the road for that.

Lastly go with a brand you'll be with for a long time. That way you get to use those lense with the newer cameras you get down the road.

I'm a Nikon guy. I love the way they feel in my hand.

finally figurred it out

2d9yzvb.jpg

So first you go to "share"

then click on "BB CODE"

then click on image size. (it's option 3 in the picture.)

then copy the link

then past here.

14219360390_c9f459c1e8_o.jpgtry B W final by mashburnphotography, on Flickr

^^^^ and this is the end result. I pick original size just so it's the largest when brought here. and it is also nice it puts a link to the picture.

now I want a cookie and my joic-E. :D

k-train and Falcon@Denmark like this

I don't follow other brands like Nikon and Sony all that closely, but Canon has a few options. I haven't personally used these, but I know a few people that have used the 1st one and like it. Maybe some of the other guys can recommend models made by some of the other companies.

http://www.bhphotovi...tal_Camera.html

This one intrigues me, and I am close to pulling the trigger. I see the one you bought your wife list with 13 mega pixels and this one list with 12. Is there a big difference in that one pixel? In your opinion is the 50X zoom really a deal closer or is it marketing puffery?

Thanks again for the detailed suggestions.

This one intrigues me, and I am close to pulling the trigger. I see the one you bought your wife list with 13 mega pixels and this one list with 12. Is there a big difference in that one pixel? In your opinion is the 50X zoom really a deal closer or is it marketing puffery?

Thanks again for the detailed suggestions.

which two models do you have it narrowed down too?

Canon PowerShot SX50

&

Nikon COOLPIX S8200

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX50-HS-vs-Nikon-S8200/specs

are you going to be shooting at night or close to the end of the day?

- if yes, then Canon has the edge with having twice as much ISO.

How big are you wanting to make your pictures?

- if you want to print out bigger, then nikon has the edge. But the Canon has no problem doing 5X7 and larger, it's just when you go bigger the Nikon has the edge. MegaPixels

I know you stated animals is something you like. So Zoom should be a factor here

- Canon has the edge with being twice as much zoom. canon has 1200MM in telephoto vs Nikon at 350MM

Does weight or size play a factor? do you want something that is like holding an early 2000 phone or something that is twice as big?

- smaller is Nikon. larger is Canon. but just because it is larger, does not mean it is hard to handle. I love holding my DSLR vs a coolpix. A coolpix always felt like I was not professional.

do you plan on shooting a lot of cool videos? and I mean a lot. if you are a person who takes an average one every few months or a person who takes them and they have no importance, then ignore this.

- but if you want better video. Canon is worse at 1080............ but if you want to go to slow mode, the canon is better BUT you will have to lower down to 480 or 320. at 320 you can go slow mode and then with slow mode apps on your ocomputer you can slow it down less. which makes for some great cool slow mode scenes (like snow board or water skiing and etc.). just know that going down to 320 you lose a lot of depth of field. (as for me I thought video was important. I quickly learned I was just the average person who shot videos. and it didn't mean anything. and if I want to do slow mode, then I will take out a GoPro which is better resolution and etc.)

you wanting to do HDR without having a computer program do it for you. (which is where it combines 2 pictures at dark and one at bright. and then merges it together to give you all the colours. Now if you want to do 3, then computer program is what you want to do).

- anyhow if yes, then go with Canon

Do you like panaroma?

- Nikon has it.

do you shoot in RAW? if you do not know what it is, you want to learn it. RAW is a huge factor for professionals. RAW stores every bit of data it can while JPEG saves what you shot. so if you want to change the exposure in a program (ex: lightroom) you can really change it with RAW, while JPEG has its limits. and in RAW when you go to lightroom and you want a certain area to be changed then it is easier without it looking like crap if you do it with JPEG. I can tell you more if you want. but this is a HUGE thing to photgraphers and means a lot.

- Canon has it

Battery?

- Canon is better about 60 pictures more. <<<<------ this will change when you go to RAW. I would say maybe about 30 pictures.

Shutter speed. they are both different.

- if you want to shoot as fast as you can and grab all the details without being blurred. Nikon is the way to go. it does 4000 vs canons 2000.

- - now if you are shooting a bird late at night. then Canon has the edge because of the ISO. (ISO basically takes the grainy look out.... AKA noise)

- if you want to shoot star trailing or waterfalls to where you have a smooth look to it, then go with Canon. Nikon won't be able to do it.

little_waterfall_by_rpowell77-d597s10.jpg <<<<---- canon can do this. while nikon will look like.........

9673&v=fit512.jpg<<<<---- like that

one other thing. Canon has a flip out screen. which I do miss those days. it nice to flip the screen out to where I could see me taking a picture of a selfie. while now I "guess" because I do not have to flip out to see if I have me in the shoot or not.

- I would do this when my wife and I were alone and there was something cool I wanted us to be in the shoot with.

- Sure you can set it up on a trip pod..... but do you really want to carry a tripod on every little thing you are going on?

- sure you can set it on something and have a timer. and if this is the case, then look into a "gorilla tripod". they are worth it and small and light weight to carry around every where you go. and they can attach on trees or anything.

gorilla_pod_slr1.jpglove this thing.

So there you go. I am a Nikon guy and love it and stand by it. but comparing these two Canon wins. and someone can say well the Nikon is going to save you 50$, well sorry that is not worth it imo.

the only thing I think you should think on is if you want to get into the type of work of being a proffesional. like what me and others in this thread do. Then you want to look into a DSLR and save your money up for one of them. and then slowly over time build your lense and etc. stuff together. and those lense pieces will work on all the other cameras of that make (nikon so to say.) but you cannot make a nikon lense for a canon (rare cases you can. and sometimes it can mess the camera up). So if you do want to go into DSLR cameras with changeable lenses. then look into what "make" you are going to be an slowly build and start with a low DSLR camera and eventually buy a better one and then you'll have lenses that can go with the new camera.

- because the cameras you are looking at now will not change lense. If I want to go to ultra wide angle, I can a lense. if I want to zoom, then I change the lense. if a want to shoot potrait of closeups, I change the lense. and etc etc.

I pulled the trigger and bought the Canon. Battery is charging right now. Kind of disapointed that the camera doesn't come with a USB cable to connect to your computer. I'll have to run out and look for one before I can save photos to my computer.

Aside from that very excited to learn how to operate this camera.

Thanks a ton to everyone who answered my request for suggestions.

So far so good. My old camera never got a close up this clearly. This is on the cameras "auto" setting. Still trying to figure out what all the bells and whistles, but this is def a BIG upgrade from my old sony. Thanks again all for the info:

KenMNT06161426_zps3ccb0139.jpg

14261488800_ca68f40881_o.jpg

14448103645_c99f5e51c2_o.jpg

I was fairly close. but hate my zoom lense so I don't use it past 80MM.

I really need to get a better zoom lense. one perferbly that focuses and doesn't get noise after 140MM.