Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiney_McShine

CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS!!!

800 posts in this topic

Great shots mozzie! Portraits have never been something that have interested me as far as taking them goes.

yeah.. im kinda the opposite.. if there isnt a person in it it feels empty to me... having said that i love other peoples landscapes and such... just don't like my own :(

Those are fantastic, Mozzie! I'm in the same boat as Mookie on the portrait thing, but I'm slowly developing more of an interest... if nothing else, just to have a better understanding/skill at my disposal. I've done some band promo shots & some candid portraits, but nothing too serious yet. I really think I'm gonna make the jump to a full frame camera in the next year, and that'll probably be the point I start trying to experiment much more often with portraiture & experimental/artistic photography. I do think my next purchase though will be a SB-700 speedlight, so I can at least start getting my feet wet with these things on the crop sensor camera I have currently.

Speaking of experimental/artistic photography, here's a fun little project for a rainy day...

and here's my set from when I did it about a year ago. Some aren't that great, but there are a few that I really like.

k-train likes this

I am just getting into picture taking with a better than point and shoot camera. I have never owned anything remotely considered a quality camera, I have numerous cameras around the house but for Christmas I bought a Nikon D3100 very very cheap and a 50mm lens for my first alternate. It is I think what you call a Prime lens? Anyhoo, I don't know the lingo as of yet but am working on it. I can already tell that this camera takes amazing pictures and so far I have liked what the 50mm is doing for me on my food pictures. The 50mm just came in today so I've only taken a handful of shots but I have to say I dig it. Here's a picture my wife took today of brisket burnt ends (they're great BTW) that I made. I can't wait to get further acclimated with what I can do with this camera!!

burntends.jpg

A 50mm is a great little lens to have handy. I'm a Canon guy and have their 50mm f/1.4. You would be correct in that it is a prime lens. A prime lens, also known as a fixed focal length (or FFL), is any lens that is a fixed focal length, i.e. 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, etc as opposed to a lens that have multiple focal lengths such as a 24-70mm or 24-105mm, etc.

If there's a photography club in your area, I'd definitely recommend joining up if it fits in your budget and schedule. I'm a member of the one up here in Rome, Ga and it's very low budget at $25 a year. It may be different elsewhere though. It's a great way to meet others with a similar interest, gain knowledge, join others on outings, etc.

Portraits have never been my "cup of tea," but here are a couple from Christmas afternoon. We had just changed the kiddo into his pajamas and I noticed nice catchlight in his eyes and snapped a few shots. I personally like them, but again, portraits aren't something that I take a lot off. Maybe mozzie can chime in the next time he visits this thread.

Canon 7D with 28mm f/1.8 lens, ISO 2000, 1/400sec.

Hudson1.jpg

Hudson3-1.jpg

I heard a rumor that Pigtrino didn't really have a motorcycle accident, but instead the woman he was committing adultery with had a fiance who beat the poop out of him when he found out about it. I don't know if that is true, and don't care to have it confirmed or denied, because it makes me smile to think it may be true.

Spitrino can eat a ****. Every time he loses his job, I am happy!

Some people get their happiness through the struggles of others. I've never understood that petty mentality.

Some people get their happiness through the struggles of others. I've never understood that petty mentality.

you are not a falcon fan... please go away