Why do you think the Atlanta Falcons were 4-12 last year?

I ask this question b/c I am really curious to see if everyone felt like our talent was 4-12 talent and that Bobby Petrino did what any coach with 4-12 talent does. Or do you think our talent was better and Coaching was horrible and made them worse. Maybe you think that if we had Mike Vick then we would have won 7 or more games and it was b/c we didn't have a QB to really replace him. Then it also could be that it with all the distractions no one performed like they should have.

I don't think we had 4-12 talent last year.  I dont think we had 10-6 talent either but this team does have some pieces around.  Its a combination of lack of depth, poor execution and the Vick distractions.  The offense saw more open receivers than in years past we just didnt have the QB on the field to cash in on those chances.

We could have very easily won 3-4 more games and ended up with a respectible record... and I believe that rests squarely on poor coaching by Bobby P. 

I have never seen an NFL coach change QB's in the middle of a game like Bobby did on at least 4 different occasions.  He seemed to forget a few times that the clock doesn't stop when you get a first down like in college.  And there were at least 2 times that he should have been going for it on 4th and he punt it away. 

Bobby Petrino was horrible coach, No Vick Replacement good enough,

Too many distractions.

I think it was a combo of those 3. I think we had some pretty good talent but injuries hit us pretty hard. Like the other poster said, I think a K could have helped us win one or two more games.

I think our talent is getting better this year. We still have some growing to do but if our talent wasn't as bad as our record then we can see an 8-8 season plus or minus 2-3 games. If the Falcons can come together, have better coaching, not have too many distractions or injuries then we can really see some exciting things this year.

mbrizzle (5/12/2008)
I think it has to all be on Vick. Franchise player gets locked up, and pretty much everything is going to spiral out of control.

how is it that in football, even in pee wee football, they tell you, NO ONE MAN CAN WIN A GAME..IT TAKES A TEAM..but in the nfl, it seems like it only takes one man to lose a game..when that man wasnt even on the field, but he still gets the blame...

da snowman (5/12/2008)
mbrizzle (5/12/2008)
I think it has to all be on Vick. Franchise player gets locked up, and pretty much everything is going to spiral out of control.

how is it that in football, even in pee wee football, they tell you, NO ONE MAN CAN WIN A GAME..IT TAKES A TEAM..but in the nfl, it seems like it only takes one man to lose a game..when that man wasnt even on the field, but he still gets the blame...

even #7 couldnt have done much last year with the way this team was run.........& who knows what he might have done (et. like hall did)to get this team negative highlights all over the tv...he would have done something stupid too....imo
da snowman (5/12/2008)
mbrizzle (5/12/2008)

He was definately our best player, the leader of the team, and the offense had been, and was going to be built on his talents as a runner and passer. I definately think we would have won a few of those close games early in the season if we had Vick.

We might have even annhilated a couple of those teams. Specifically the Vikings, the Jags, and the Panthers early.

all of the above

Puketrino ....terrible coach, most of the staff the same, lack of chemistry with players

Clubhouse distractions.......fighting with coaches and each other

MV7.........nuff said

Injuries........wow were we hit hard or what?

Players.......not quality backups for when injuries hit.

Game Planning........what game planning

Halftime Adjustments.........what adjustments.

Effort.......lacking by all

emt861 (5/12/2008)
all of the above

Puketrino ....terrible coach, most of the staff the same, lack of chemistry with players

Clubhouse distractions.......fighting with coaches and each other

MV7.........nuff said

Injuries........wow were we hit hard or what?

Players.......not quality backups for when injuries hit.

Game Planning........what game planning

Halftime Adjustments.........what adjustments.

Effort.......lacking by all

very well put...& some humor too....i like it
NCFalcon52 (5/12/2008)
Maybe you think that if we had Mike Vick then we would have won 7 or more games

I'M A REALIST. MIKE WAS NOT ON THE TEAM LAST YEAR. SO I CAN'T AND WON'T SPECULATE. SPECULATION IS FOR FANTASY FOOTBALL. WE HAVE A NEW GM, WE HAVE A NEW COACH, THE TEAM HAS BEEN RE-DONE. WHY STILL LIVE IN YESTERDAY. 4-12 WAS BAD, WHY RELIVE IT?

I think a ton of factors all came together to pull us through this last year of ****, but the one factor that I am not worried about repeating itself this year is having a bad coach.  I think it was against New Orleans that we punted the ball away on 4th and 13 around midfield, down 6, with less than 2 mins to go.  I really questioned how badly Petrino actually wanted to win that game.  I'm glad we don't have to worry about our coach not giving a crap about his team this year.