I know I am going to get flamed for this, but

I honestly don't think that this team is that. I think that our results last year were a product of poor coaching rather than a roster of subpar players. And besides the coaching, does anyone remember how hard the injury bug bit us last year, especially along the lines? I think that we have more quality players then more analysts give us credit for. I also think that we have had good drafts two years in a row, which is going to help us down the road.

Lastly I think that we have one of the best FO/Coaching Staff combinations in the league, and I think that it is going to start to show once we get the pads on and win some game

I have not been this excited to be a Falcon fan in a decade.

I agree that we are not in as bad of shape as most people think......we are however the whipping boy of the media.....national media tries to keep the racial devide crap going....and the YKW fans hating Ryan BS and that what IMO it is BS. I am just a fan but I played ball most of my young life and also a little college ball in the SEC. Coaching and effort can compensate for talent. I will tell you my observation from camp....Speed, Speed and more Speed all I saw Saturday was exitement and speed. This team has had a big turnover this for sure but I for one think that is the "BEST" thing we have done. This team was stale, old, and bitter about the past. It is time for new leaders to step up, and that starts with the coaching staff.

Hey I am TOTALLY optimistic about the season.

But I am totally realistic too: new and untested FO, new and untested coaching staff, MOSTLY new and untested team.

Anything is possible, but I think an 8-8 season would be a stretch for us, and, if attained, would be an incredible accomplishment. I am just hoping to see good football and coaching on Sundays myself.

I will just be happy if we look competent again after what I saw last year.

Josh Affonso (5/12/2008)
I honestly don't think that this team is that. I think that our results last year were a product of poor coaching rather than a roster of subpar players. And besides the coaching, does anyone remember how hard the injury bug bit us last year, especially along the lines? I think that we have more quality players then more analysts give us credit for. I also think that we have had good drafts two years in a row, which is going to help us down the road.

Lastly I think that we have one of the best FO/Coaching Staff combinations in the league, and I think that it is going to start to show once we get the pads on and win some game

i agree,we are alot better than people think....last years demise had alot ot do with a coach treating men like children...petrino never had the respect for the team & the players didnt really care,they just went through the motions for the most part...imo....also imo #7 not being there wasnt as big as a factor as people would like to think.because if you have players that want to be there, and are willing to leave everything they have on the field, you wont become the franchise that fell into oblivion
Josh Affonso (5/12/2008)

I really like this opinion and this attitude. I surely hope you're right. I have high hopes and marginal expectations but I never give a game away prior to the start of it.

Good to feel positive again after such a abyssmal 2007.  The Petrino debacle and the Stupid Vick Idiocracy have left a couple of black eyes on the franchise but it appears that there is a TEAM being built for Atlanta instead of a few 'me-first' players and selfish coaches.  The talent here is very young and if this team can put together six wins this year, imagine how good they can be in another two-three years when all the holes get filled.... :w00t:

Been a Falcons fan since the early 70's and I have to say that, so far, everything I am seeing and hearing from this new FO and coaching staff has me feeling much more optimistic than not. Honestly, I'm not really concerned about what the win/loss record turns out to be this year. What I want to see is a team that shows up prepared, plays with toughness, heart and character for four whole quarters every game of the season and carries itself with pride and class, regardless if they win or lose. I have not seen a sustained Falcons regime like that in, well... ever.

With 22 draft picks added in the last 2 years and 10 players picked in rounds 1-3 of those drafts, I think that we could have 80% of the pieces in place to be a very good football team. I also think that we have better depth on this roster than were have for at least 5 years, with enthusiastic young draft picks battling veterans or each other even for 3rd string roles.

However, the thing that will undoubtedly hold us back in 2008 is inexperience. We have too many young players in key positions to be a force this season, but from 2009 onwards the sky is the limit. Good things come to those who wait.

Josh Affonso (5/12/2008)

I agree 100% and you're right on when you say that the talent on the team is undervalued but this is typical evaluation of many teams with poor w/l records. A winning record will quickly raise the level of perceived talent on the team.

Due to the upgrade to the FO & coaching staff, my expectations for the season would be to see a team which is competitive in most every game this season and I would be surprised to see us get blown out of any games. Still might have a losing record this year but with this foundation, I believe we'll see significant progress which will give us realistic hope for being a consistent playoff contender for many years to come.