Big Dukes camp notes 1st practice

Big Duke 6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roni B (5/10/2008)
redman was acurate, ofcourse he threw his "wtf?" pass but who doesent. i want him back as the starer and develop ryann for a year or 2

I would be okay w/that as well, for a year, but not two.  I don't think it will take him that long.  But unless he's just lighting it up every practice, I think we need some time to develop the OL, and let these new Falcons get some fluidity to their game. 

foreveriloveatlanta (5/10/2008)
Did Lofton look like he had enough speed out there?  I've heard he plays faster than his 40-time suggests, but it does worry me a little. 

He looked pretty stout.A little shorter than I expected but thick.The plays I concentrated on him when they ran he took the wrong angle and missed the plays.Not full contact so theres really not much to report.

thanks for your report Duke I too was there and I would have to say that your assesment was right on. Douglas looked really good and I like to see a few scuffles out there. Also for this to be Ryans first practice in the system I thought he looked good, except for one long pass that was behind the receiver. I was a little disapointed in Redman but I think I will like this offense.....lots of different sets and lots of motion.

overall team speed looked good we are much younger and faster.

emt861 (5/10/2008)
thanks for your report Duke I too was there and I would have to say that your assesment was right on. Douglas looked really good and I like to see a few scuffles out there. Also for this to be Ryans first practice in the system I thought he looked good, except for one long pass that was behind the receiver. I was a little disapointed in Redman but I think I will like this offense.....lots of different sets and lots of motion.

overall team speed looked good we are much younger and faster.

Yeah,I wish they would have opened it up more but everybody is learning the new system I guess.They had the tes moveing all over for sure.

one thing that most of you guys have to remember is that matt is a rookie. new team, new system and he is still learning. the speed of the game, size of the players, etc. has all changed. everyone is much bigger, much faster, windows are smaller etc. he wasnt going to be the college matt ryan in his first practice. he has work to do.

he'll be ok.

Wouldn't read too much of anything into what you might see on the field just yet. Pretty significant turnover on the team from last year and it's going to take some time for the players to just get comfortable with each other and the coaching staff & scheme. The dynamics and interaction off the field is probably more important (and interesting) right now than individual performances on the field, who emerges as the new leaders etc.

Starters lost from a year ago we lost:

offense:

QB

Tailback

TE

LT

defense:

2 tackles

LB

CB

Safety

Pretty significant position changes in the starting lineup there not to mention all the OL injuries.

Plus we've added about 20-25 new faces from the draft & FA.

So I expect the player & coaches basically will just get their feet wet here at MC with the real excitement & competition coming at the opening of training camp. I'll be pumped for that.

bart (5/10/2008)
Wouldn't read too much of anything into what you might see on the field just yet. Pretty significant turnover on the team from last year and it's going to take some time for the players to just get comfortable with each other and the coaching staff & scheme. The dynamics and interaction off the field is probably more important (and interesting) right now than individual performances on the field, who emerges as the new leaders etc.

Starters lost from a year ago we lost:

offense:

QB

Tailback

TE

LT

defense:

2 tackles

LB

CB

Safety

Pretty significant position changes in the starting lineup there not to mention all the OL injuries.

Plus we've added about 20-25 new faces from the draft & FA.

So I expect the player & coaches basically will just get their feet wet here at MC with the real excitement & competition coming at the opening of training camp. I'll be pumped for that.

I missed some stff trying to eyeball the new guys.Between the coaches and the players there were a lot of new guys.I didnt see blank which is new.Pretty good turnout fan wise to.

I would have to agree with atlchamp, ryan for all the hype did not deliver, i understand its his first practice and he had to get the jitters out but besides the deep ball being underthrown there were a couple of passes throw way high to the point the receivers had to jump at their peaks to even touch the ball and i saw that he did throw a couple of wild throws into the defence that luckly were not caught (not that it mattered) but i still think Ryan will come back in a big way but today i was disapointed. im exited about this years defence the one player who stood OUT was brent grimes with his INT and his 35ft high jump...i might be exaggerating but it was really high for a guy my height.

vickmcnasty (5/10/2008)
I would have to agree with atlchamp, ryan for all the hype did not deliver, i understand its his first practice and he had to get the jitters out but besides the deep ball being underthrown there were a couple of passes throw way high to the point the receivers had to jump at their peaks to even touch the ball and i saw that he did throw a couple of wild throws into the defence that luckly were not caught (not that it mattered) but i still think Ryan will come back in a big way but today i was disapointed. im exited about this years defence the one player who stood OUT was brent grimes with his INT and his 35ft high jump...i might be exaggerating but it was really high for a guy my height.

Have you been to a practice before?Not asking to put you down just wondering if you expected to much.