We should have just waited for

d34ng3l021

This guy looks like he will fly up draft boards. He has a great arm, is tough, mobile. He needs to work a bit on his mechanics, but I really like him as a prospect. Could you imagine bringing this hometown hero to be the face of our franchise? That would have been great.

dan minnich (5/8/2008)
he may not even come out next year and on top of that we may not been in position to draft him,  so why gamble when we already got our franchise qb.

our franchise qb is in the joint. all we have is a drafted qb. hes not the franchise yet.

phalconphil (5/8/2008)
dan minnich (5/8/2008)
he may not even come out next year and on top of that we may not been in position to draft him,  so why gamble when we already got our franchise qb.

our franchise qb is in the joint. all we have is a drafted qb. hes not the franchise yet.

We bet the farm on Matt Ryan, he is our franchise QB, atleast for the time being. Why would we wait two years for someone we *might* be in position to draft, who *might* be a franchise QB? We had the chance to draft this years cream of the crop and we took it. Matt Ryan is our QB.

let's see...

1. he may not come out this year

2. we may not be in position to pick him even if he does

3. we'd have to be in position to take him in 2010

4. he'd still take a year to develop

it'd be 2011 possibly before Stafford was ready to make an impact if he doesn't come out until after next year... why would we risk that to target Stafford (who i have a man crush on)

Goodoleboy58 (5/8/2008)
let's see...

it'd be 2011 possibly before Stafford was ready to make an impact if he doesn't come out until after next year... why would we risk that to target Stafford (who i have a man crush on)

5. he could flop like lots of players always do when their games truely get disected and end up going in the 5th round.

scott hartley (5/8/2008)
well if Ryan sucks it up for the next two seasons we will be in position to draft him.

Even if we were in position to draft him, I doubt we give up on Ryan after only two seasons.

cwell1 (5/8/2008)
Goodoleboy58 (5/8/2008)
let's see...

5. he could flop like lots of players always do when their games truely get disected and end up going in the 5th round.

Uhhhhh, no.

BillyWitchDoctor (5/8/2008)
scott hartley (5/8/2008)
well if Ryan sucks it up for the next two seasons we will be in position to draft him.

Even if we were in position to draft him, I doubt we give up on Ryan after only two seasons.

well it's assuming he played just horrible a showed no improvement and it was pretty much decided that he was a total bust after two years. or he suffered a horrible injury of something.

He could also be a dog fighter, you never know.

xSICKxWITHxITx (5/8/2008)
d34ng3l021 (5/8/2008)
Of course we would be in position to draft him. We will most likely be picking top5. And we would have to sign some veteran QBs to help us through the year, but it would happen.

lol, are you really that ignorant?

trust me if it only took 2 seasons for ryan to blow his chance then vick would be on his way back. which isnt going to happen. neither is ryan blowing his chance in 2 seasons. stafford will not be drafted by the falcons. i cant believe im even responding to a thread this utterly stupid. why did i even click on it in the first place?

scott hartley (5/8/2008)
scott hartley (5/8/2008)

well it's assuming he played just horrible a showed no improvement and it was pretty much decided that he was a total bust after two years. or he suffered a horrible injury of something.

:laugh: After two years Roddy White was considered a bust by many on this board, it's going to take more than two years for the staff to give up on Ryan, even if he does look terrible. I just can't imagine us spending two 1st round picks over the course of 3 years...

scott hartley (5/8/2008)
scott hartley (5/8/2008)

:laugh: After two years Roddy White was considered a bust by many on this board, it's going to take more than two years for the staff to give up on Ryan, even if he does look terrible. I just can't imagine us spending two 1st round picks over the course of 3 years...

the jury is still out on roddy. if he doesnt meet or exceed last years performance hes a bust.

Stafford came out last year (out of the closet that is) when he decided to spoon Joe Cox at Talladega. ;)

Stafford has rare physical tools, no doubt about that. However, there are a lot of things Stafford has to prove before he can even begin to justify some of the hype that has been associated with him since before he played his first collegiate game. Also, he is coming out of a system that has never produced an elite starting QB in the NFL. Despite all of the QB talent Richt has had at his disposal over the years at both Florida State and Georgia, the only guy he has to hang his hat on is Brad Johnson. That's not much of a track record for producing starting NFL QB's. Matt Ryan has played in 2 pro style systems that have produced starting caliber NFL QB's (under Tom O' Brien and Jagodzinski/Steve Logan) The jury is still out on Stafford. He could end up being Billy Joe Tolliver as easily as he could end up being John Elway.

d34ng3l021 (5/8/2008)
Of course we would be in position to draft him. We will most likely be picking top5. And we would have to sign some veteran QBs to help us through the year, but it would happen.

I don't agree.  We play in the NFC South.  The outcome of those 6 games each year is unpredictable to say the least.  Unlike the AFC East, our division is up for grabs each and every year.  Tampa's old, Carolina's lost a lot of talent, and the Saints are shaky.

I am not a UGA fan. Nor do I follow college football (and if I do, its Cal). I follow prospects, and from what I have seen of him, he has all the tools to rise to the top of the boards, regardless of how his season goes. His arm and mobility are too good to pass up.

Bookmark this topic and look at it next year when Stafford is the top QB.