Albert vs. Baker

ThunderCookie

I can't figure out something the media keeps pushing.  At 15, the Chiefs drafting an OG that they are going to try to make a LT is a brilliant move. But after there was a run on LT, the Falcons trade back up and grab a true LT, and it is a horrible reach and wasted a draft pick.

I just don't understand the logic. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Media and Logic ha what a laugh.

This year has been the worst for "band wagoning" both positive and negative.......

KC is the darling of this years draft.....and the Falcons have been the whipping boys for the last year.

It did not mater who we drafted or when we drafted them, it would have been a bad pick.

For weeks leading up to the draft we in dire need of Matt Ryan with our #3 pick, now that we did it we should have picked Glen Dorsey and we were stupid for taking ryan and even worse we traded up to get an OL that has been an All American for the past 3 years.

I guess what I am saying is that if you look hard enough you can find a so called expert that thinks we had a great draft and also if you look for them plenty will say this was a horrid draft for us. I trust the people who have worked in the field of player evaluation for years over the paid ex-player talking heads on TV.

itsw funny you mention Ryan. It seems some of these "experts" pikced us to take Matt Ryan, then said it was a bad pick when we did it.

the Falcons truely are the basement of the NFL in many analysts eyes for some reason. At least my other team (Browns) are this years media darlings. I mean they traded away their whole draft for top dollar players, and it is being called brilliant. I have never heard a team get praise for doing this prior to this year.

emt861 (5/8/2008)
For weeks leading up to the draft we in dire need of Matt Ryan with our #3 pick, now that we did it we should have picked Glen Dorsey and we were stupid for taking ryan and even worse we traded up to get an OL that has been an All American for the past 3 years.

You nailed it

HailRazor (5/8/2008)
  I can't figure out something the media keeps pushing.  At 15, the Chiefs drafting an OG that they are going to try to make a LT is a brilliant move. But after there was a run on LT, the Falcons trade back up and grab a true LT, and it is a horrible reach and wasted a draft pick.

The only edge Baker has over Alberts was experience. Baker was coming off a season full of injuries while Albert added a new wrinkle to his game by playing LT. Albert is the bigger and better athlete who's best football is ahead of him, Baker doesn't have ideal arm length and tested poorly at his pro day. Albert shined at the combine.

If this was 2007, you'd have an argument. Present day, Albert projects to be a better LT than Baker does. I wouldn't be surprised if Baker ends up as a G, and Albert will still be the better player.

aveboogie2 (5/8/2008)
HailRazor (5/8/2008)

The only edge Baker has over Alberts was experience. Baker was coming off a season full of injuries while Albert added a new wrinkle to his game by playing LT. Albert is the bigger and better athlete who's best football is ahead of him, Baker doesn't have ideal arm length and tested poorly at his pro day. Albert shined at the combine.

If this was 2007, you'd have an argument. Present day, Albert projects to be a better LT than Baker does. I wouldn't be surprised if Baker ends up as a G, and Albert will still be the better player.

and you work in whos front office??

emt861 (5/8/2008)
aveboogie2 (5/8/2008)
HailRazor (5/8/2008)

and you work in whos front office??

No one's. It's called an opinion in response to the original poster. I take it you have nothing to contribute???

First off, Baker's arms aren't short.  That is something that someone has put out there that simply isn't true.  In fact, they are longer than Jake Long's arms.

Secondly, we will certainly see who ends up being the better pro and we will see it this coming year.  Both will be put into immediate action due to lack of depth. 

I can't wait(this is my opinion) for all the naysayers to have to apologize when Baker is an All-Pro Left Tackle.

Baker Injury facts from ESPN

Strengths: Insider Onlyin.gif

Weaknesses: Insider Onlyin.gif

Overall: Baker arrived at USC in 2003 and redshirted his first year. He moved from guard to offensive tackle before the 2004 season, and went on to make 39 consecutive starts at left tackle over the next three years (2004-'06). As a senior in 2007, he played 10 games (all starts). He was a first team All-America selection as a junior (2006) and a second-team selection as a senior (2007). He missed three games in his last season because of a left hamstring strain. Baker also suffered a bone chip in his left knee in 2005; played through a left knee sprain in 2006 (which required arthroscopic surgery at the end of the season); and suffered a cracked rib before the 2007 season. Son of AFL commissioner David Baker, Sam Baker enters the NFL draft as a four-year starter from one of the top programs in college football. He possesses ... in.gif For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

Looks like a gamer to me played through injuies and played at a high level. At a school known for its quality of competition. Also has been coached in a  "pro" type offense.

Once the "experts" select a stable of favorites in any category, that's it !! From then on it's "etched in granite"...........THEIR  CHOICES  ARE  THE  ONLY  VALID  CHOICES.

They know 1/10 of what Smitty and Dimitroff know of the talent pool out there.

Enough to make you puke !!

aveboogie2 (5/8/2008)
HailRazor (5/8/2008)
I can't figure out something the media keeps pushing. At 15, the Chiefs drafting an OG that they are going to try to make a LT is a brilliant move. But after there was a run on LT, the Falcons trade back up and grab a true LT, and it is a horrible reach and wasted a draft pick.

Opinions are like azzholes. Everybody has one. Don't forget they play the game on the field. Okay, some play the game on Madden. When the action is done on the field, we will see if Albert is better than Baker or will Albert have problems making the transition to a new position. I would put my money on Baker who is a three time All american at the position playing against the top college teams in the nation.

So in FOUR YEARS as a starter he missed THREE GAMES?!?!? Yeah, he is REAL injury prone.

LMAO at aveboogie2's comment..."A season full of injuries." He had a freakin' hamstring strain. Big deal.

It's not like he broke a bone or something!

Good post.  You'll probably be labeled as a hater or being negative...

But it still was a good post and you made some good points.  I liked it.

1989fan (5/8/2008)
itsw funny you mention Ryan. It seems some of these "experts" pikced us to take Matt Ryan, then said it was a bad pick when we did it.

the Falcons truely are the basement of the NFL in many analysts eyes for some reason. At least my other team (Browns) are this years media darlings. I mean they traded away their whole draft for top dollar players, and it is being called brilliant. I have never heard a team get praise for doing this prior to this year.

I knew that they would. It was just that type of draft promotion where it seemed that everyone was saying that he's be perfect for the organization. What they were really saying was that they knew that we were going to pick him for better or worse. I knew that they weren't saying that he was great, but they were definately pushing him this way.

Sun Tzu 7 (5/8/2008)

Good post.  You'll probably be labeled as a hater or being negative...

But it still was a good post and you made some good points.  I liked it.

Yeah.  Too bad his points were inaccurate.

Arm Length... Not short.  Actually longer than Jake Long's arms.

Season Full of Injuries......  Nope.  Had a pulled hamstring.  Out for 3 games. 

Better athlete....  How do you equate this????  You have no basis.

Albert's best football is ahead of him....  Again, how do you equate this?????

goosedaddy70 (5/8/2008)
First off, Baker's arms aren't short. That is something that someone has put out there that simply isn't true. In fact, they are longer than Jake Long's arms.

Secondly, we will certainly see who ends up being the better pro and we will see it this coming year. Both will be put into immediate action due to lack of depth.

I can't wait(this is my opinion) for all the naysayers to have to apologize when Baker is an All-Pro Left Tackle.

I'm not knocking Baker, but Long's arms are longer than Baker's. Not sure where that came from, but I have seen several people state it. Baker's arms measured in at 32 3/8.

Yeah.  Too bad his points were inaccurate.

Arm Length... Not short.  Actually longer than Jake Long's arms.

Season Full of Injuries......  Nope.  Had a pulled hamstring.  Out for 3 games. 

Better athlete....  How do you equate this????  You have no basis.

Albert's best football is ahead of him....  Again, how do you equate this?????

Was the point of the question who will be the better offensive lineman in the NFL or why these two guys ended up getting drafted where they did and why they were rated that way?

That's what I was commenting on.  I thought good points were provided why they were drafted and/or graded the way they were.

I don't think Baker will be a bust.  I DEFINITELY hope he's not one because that hurts us.

I don't know who will be the better NFL lineman.  No one does.

I'm not knocking Baker, but Long's arms are longer than Baker's. Not sure where that came from, but I have seen several people state it. Baker's arms measured in at 32 3/8.

What's Baker's footwork like? 

That's where I could see them bringing up arm length with speed edge rushers.