Falcons Team Report per SportingNews.com

Just want to know if anyone agrees with this stuff or disagrees.

Posted: May 4, 2008
D. Orlando Ledbetter

For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: DTs Rashad Moore and Kindal Moorehead are important, albeit under-the-radar, free-agent additions. The team believed this year's draft class was thin after Glenn Dorsey, so it didn't try to address the position in the later rounds after passing on Dorsey at No. 3 overall. Moore and Moorhead join returning starters Montavious Stanley and Jonathan Babineaux. Moore has size at 325 pounds. Moorehead has shown little big-play ability. Coach Mike Smith wants to be strong up the middle and will count on improvement from Moore and Morehead. . . .

Matt Ryan wants to compete for the starting quarterback job immediately, but the team may want to secure its offensive line before it sends Ryan onto the field. Atlanta allowed 47 sacks last season, and young quarterbacks who have played behind porous lines early in their careers - Joey Harrington and David Carr are recent examples -- have become gun-shy after taking so many hits. Ryan will need to beat out Chris Redman and Harrington for the position.

SCOUTING REPORT: The Falcons like WR Harry Douglas' route-running ability and his ability to play inside or outside. He could be a nice complement to Roddy White and Laurent Robinson in three-receiver sets.

CORNERBACK ANALYSIS: With DeAngelo Hall gone, the team's best remaining corner is Von Hutchins, who's better suited to playing in the slot. Chris Houston is the other starter. He struggled as a rookie last season. Draft pick Chevis Jackson is sturdy in run support and tough inside 15 yards. He isn't fast enough to drop his hips and run with faster receivers, however. Reserves Brent Grimes and David Irons will also play on special teams. The Falcons likely will have to play almost exclusively zone and get help over the top from the safeties. Grade: D. Pro Bowl-caliber players: None.

boss_martian (5/6/2008)
I think Houston is going to step it up this year. Sure, he made some rookie mistakes, but I think he's certainly better than a "D". B-minus, at least.

Yea, I mean the guy did almost 30 reps at 225 and was one of the top ten fastest in the draft last year.  Doesn't that net you a B right there almost.  The guy is a little harsh on us, especially at CB.

The "D" grade is for our overall team, people, not one player in particular.

I almost agree with that. We will be below-average in wins this season, don't you think?

But I don't agree with having no Pro Bowl caliber players!

White, Turner, Boley, Abraham, and Milloy are all Pro Bowl caliber in my opinion.

Based on stats, White, Boley, and Milloy SHOULD have been in the Pro Bowl LAST season, but we had too bad of a record for fans to consider them.

virginiafalcon (5/6/2008)

I almost agree with that. We will be below-average in wins this season, don't you think?

White, Turner, Boley, Abraham, and Milloy are all Pro Bowl caliber in my opinion.

Based on stats, White, Boley, and Milloy SHOULD have been in the Pro Bowl LAST season, but we had too bad of a record for fans to consider them.

I still wouldn't say a D.  I would upgrade it atleast to a C.  I mean come on, a D is next to an F.  We aren't that horrible at that position, I would say middle of the road.

sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)

White, Turner, Boley, Abraham,and Milloy are all Pro Bowl caliber in my opinion.

I still wouldn't say a D. I would upgrade it atleast to a C. I mean come on, a D is next to an F. We aren't that horrible at that position, I would say middle of the road.

C equates to 'average.'

We're currently "below average" as a team (sub .500 record). That could change as players gel, but it really depends on individuals performing beyond what they showed last year. Hopefully having a legit NFL scheme on offense this year will help out some.

:P:P

sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)

I still wouldn't say a D.  I would upgrade it atleast to a C.  I mean come on, a D is next to an F.  We aren't that horrible at that position, I would say middle of the road.

sivik,

I think you are "part right"  and "part wrong".......the "D" grade is not for an individual player as someone said - but you are wrong, too(methinks) in that the "D" grade is NOT for the entire team but it IS for the "cornerbacks" on the team...

thus the title/paragraph  "cornerback analysis".:P:)

g-dawg (5/6/2008)
sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)

White, Turner, Boley, Abraham,and Milloy are all Pro Bowl caliber in my opinion.

I still wouldn't say a D. I would upgrade it atleast to a C. I mean come on, a D is next to an F. We aren't that horrible at that position, I would say middle of the road.

sivik,

I think you are "part right" and "part wrong".......the "D" grade is not for an individual player as someone said - but you are wrong, too(methinks) in that the "D" grade is NOT for the entire team but it IS for the "cornerbacks" on the team...

thus the title/paragraph "cornerback analysis".:P:)

It's just odd that there was only a grade administered for that particular paragraph. Why not a grade on the others? It's possible there was a missed Carriage Return in there. *shrug*

g-dawg (5/6/2008)
sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)

sivik,

I think you are "part right"  and "part wrong".......the "D" grade is not for an individual player as someone said - but you are wrong, too(methinks) in that the "D" grade is NOT for the entire team but it IS for the "cornerbacks" on the team...

thus the title/paragraph  "cornerback analysis".:P:)

That is the way I took it...not for the entire team, but our entire stock of CB's should be a C.  Not the team, I'm not sure what I would give the team.  Our CB situation should not be a D, I disagree with that.

sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)
Just want to know if anyone agrees with this stuff or disagrees.

Posted: May 4, 2008
D. Orlando Ledbetter

For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: DTs Rashad Moore and Kindal Moorehead are important, albeit under-the-radar, free-agent additions. The team believed this year's draft class was thin after Glenn Dorsey, so it didn't try to address the position in the later rounds after passing on Dorsey at No. 3 overall. Moore and Moorhead join returning starters Montavious Stanley and Jonathan Babineaux. Moore has size at 325 pounds. Moorehead has shown little big-play ability. Coach Mike Smith wants to be strong up the middle and will count on improvement from Moore and Morehead. . . .

Matt Ryan wants to compete for the starting quarterback job immediately, but the team may want to secure its offensive line before it sends Ryan onto the field. Atlanta allowed 47 sacks last season, and young quarterbacks who have played behind porous lines early in their careers - Joey Harrington and David Carr are recent examples -- have become gun-shy after taking so many hits. Ryan will need to beat out Chris Redman and Harrington for the position.

SCOUTING REPORT: The Falcons like WR Harry Douglas' route-running ability and his ability to play inside or outside. He could be a nice complement to Roddy White and Laurent Robinson in three-receiver sets.

CORNERBACK ANALYSIS: With DeAngelo Hall gone, the team's best remaining corner is Von Hutchins, who's better suited to playing in the slot. Chris Houston is the other starter. He struggled as a rookie last season. Draft pick Chevis Jackson is sturdy in run support and tough inside 15 yards. He isn't fast enough to drop his hips and run with faster receivers, however. Reserves Brent Grimes and David Irons will also play on special teams. The Falcons likely will have to play almost exclusively zone and get help over the top from the safeties. Grade: D. Pro Bowl-caliber players: None.

Do you feel the LOVE???  :w00t:

If Jimmy steps up and pulls his head from his butt, I think he could be a starting Cover-2 CB. If he supplants Hutchins, with the drafting of Jackson, we have a solid unit for our system.

If Jimmy doesn't step up, or stays at S, then we'll have to rely on Jackson to help solidify the unit.

I don't know about Milloy, but he was deffinately an upper-tier SS last year.

sivik_outkast (5/6/2008)

YES WE ARE!! If we had taken Dorsey instead of Ryan and obtained a QB in the 2nd round, we probably be at a B or B-